The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Default New to Nylon Strings

Hey everyone,
Can someone help me out?
I recently purchased a new, beginner classical guitar. I came with a set of, pre installed, Savarez High Tension strings. After a few days of light playing and a few retunings, I set it on the stand. Yesterday, from across the room, I heard the distinct sound of a string snapping. It was my A string! I chalked it up to a miss winding at the factory and went about my day. Then, this morning, I awoke to a broken D string.
Could there be a fault in the strings? Or was it something I did or didn’t do? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:53 AM

Where is their break point?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:55 AM

If they broke on the bridge end, it might be a rough spot on the saddle. I'm also a little puzzled why a beginner guitar would have high tension strings, but that's probably nothing to do with them breaking. I've had strings on my classical break fro no apparent reason while sitting in a case, almost always a wound string, usually the 'D.'
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Bax Burgess,

They both broke at the neck/tuners
Old 07-05-2020, 11:13 AM

Brad4d8,

These were the factory strings, according to the specs on ordering site.

So, it sounds like a common thing? I was just curious if I didn’t set them enough or that I might’ve, somehow, wound them too tightly.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Do you have a tuning fork or electronic tuner and do you know how to use it? Are you sure you’re not tuning the sixth string to A, for example?

If that’s not it, the strings are probably of poor quality and/or deteriorated.

Try new bass strings and, if it keeps happening, the nut slots probably need filing.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 PM

Going with the nut slots as the cause of the break, it would be easy to identify them as pinching on the strings by tuning them up to pitch and hearing the string winding 'pop', every turn or two of the tuners. If you don't have nut files, a round needle file can do the job, to at least remove any burrs on either side of the slots, and widen the channel, if needed. Judisciously, of course.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:09 AM

suspect
a ''Burr'' at the tuner post[Sharp edge acts like a saw!-rectified by filing the edge =Rounded over]
But
POOR string winding can be the cause.[Learn to RE STRING CORRECTLY]
Poor Quality strings!
Tuning too high!!=Use a Tuner.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:26 PM

Unusual yes. But the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Just sitting there on the stand and I heard 'Snap!' Like Bax said, check the nut.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:17 AM

In my experience the D string is the likeliest to break, with the high e the next-likeliest. Hannabach makes one of the former called (I think) Durable-D, for
that reason. I've had real good luck with D'Add Pro Arte basses, though,
so haven't tried that particular Hannabach string.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:18 PM

I'll second the suggestion that there is a burr on the tuner or something wrong with the nut, although on a new guitar that's surprising. As suggested above, listen to see if there is a noticeable sound from the nut when tuning, it would probably be accompanied by a quick uptick in pitch. If you don't want to take a file, as also suggested, twirl the lead end of a pencil in the nut slot, sometimes a little graphite will east the way. Some have suggested poor string quality, but Savarez are high end strings favored by many concert classical guitarists, so they're probably not the problem unless they are old and the guitar has been demoed enough before being sold to cause deterioration.
Still a little surprised that it would have high tension on an instrument aimed at a beginner, but it's probably set up right for them.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical