The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2020, 04:19 PM

Default iPhone video/audio

A long story precedes but not needed - I recently got a refurb iPhone XS Max and the improvement in the camera compared to my old iPhone 6 inspired me to shoot a video with the new phone. I used MoviePro to handle the capture, mostly because it supports a remote app on a second device - way too handy when the performer is also the camera op. No more shooting a dozen test shots to get the right framing.

I hooked up an iRig Pro Duo for audio input, connected my "vintage" AT3035 pair, and tuned my vintage (pre-Peavey) Composite Acoustics OX Raw to taropatch (open G).

Then I took it the next step and did my edit in iMovie - not quite as flexible as Edius (grin) but with a little fiddling I got something I could live with:

I think I'll still be pulling out my Lumix cameras and Zoom F6 for most of my clips, but these phones are getting to be pretty strong contenders.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-05-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Nice.

You didn't do any audio post-processing?

I've done home videos with my iPhone and had others send stuff to me. The new ones are easily as good (IMHO) as most consumer cameras for these things (especially since probably 90% is watched on a phone screen), unless you've got something that has really good low-light capability.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi Fran

I always enjoy hearing you play.

For video using phones, Filmic Pro (iPhone or Android app) has a Filmic Remote add-on which allows one to pair a second iPhone to be the monitor (and you can control the main 'camera' phone from the extended one). And with the extra phone linked, one has access to change all the settings on the 'camera' phone, and tap buttons and access menus on without disturbing the main camera.

And it has active audio meters on-screen.

Not suggesting you need it. You are a serious camera guy, and I wondered if you'd checked it out. I'm not sure if it can connect remotely with cameras of mixed formats.

Well worth the small investment.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Nice.

You didn't do any audio post-processing?

I've done home videos with my iPhone and had others send stuff to me. The new ones are easily as good (IMHO) as most consumer cameras for these things (especially since probably 90% is watched on a phone screen), unless you've got something that has really good low-light capability.
I used the gain adjustment in iMovie to bump up the audio level, that's the only adjustment I could find.

I definitely prefer working with my Lumix GH cameras, but the MoviePro Remote took me one step closer - I've had remote control of the Panny cameras using IOS devices for a number of years, it makes self-video a lot less painful.

The difference between what I can do in iMovie and what I can do in Edius is vast but I've seen demos of an IOS non-linear editor called LumaFusion that looks like it would close a lot of the gap.

Fran
Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I used the gain adjustment in iMovie to bump up the audio level, that's the only adjustment I could find.
iMovie has a semi-useless EQ with presets (only), but you have to use it on your clips before you drop them into the timeline, same as the filters and cropping and all that. In my version of iMovie it's got a little bar-graph avatar and it's in a line with the filter "palette" and the cropping doohickey, etc.

Couch Standards
Old 07-06-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Fran

I always enjoy hearing you play.

For video using phones, Filmic Pro (iPhone or Android app) has a Filmic Remote add-on which allows one to pair a second iPhone to be the monitor (and you can control the main 'camera' phone from the extended one). And with the extra phone linked, one has access to change all the settings on the 'camera' phone, and tap buttons and access menus on without disturbing the main camera.

And it has active audio meters on-screen.

Not suggesting you need it. You are a serious camera guy, and I wondered if you'd checked it out. I'm not sure if it can connect remotely with cameras of mixed formats.

Well worth the small investment.
I already had MoviePro in my app collection and with their recent upgrades they've gotten a lot closer to Filmic Pro according to reviewers. The MoviePro remote is a free download which is nice and it gives access to nearly every feature of the camera app except for the latest metering stuff. The main app has lots of meters, false color, zebras, focus peaking, and none of those are available through the remote so far.

I have a lot of affection for my mirrorless cameras, but I carry a hefty backpack to haul three bodies, six lenses, and a bunch of batteries. If I could get the same results from a few refurb phones stuffed in various pants pockets I wouldn't mind. I'm sure it's just around the corner.

Fran
Old 07-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I definitely prefer working with my Lumix GH cameras, but the MoviePro Remote took me one step closer - I've had remote control of the Panny cameras using IOS devices for a number of years, it makes self-video a lot less painful.

The difference between what I can do in iMovie and what I can do in Edius is vast but I've seen demos of an IOS non-linear editor called LumaFusion that looks like it would close a lot of the gap.
Thanks.

I don't think I could get anything but frustrated trying to work on a video on my iPhone or even mini iPad. I can wait until I get home and just AirDrop the files on to my Mac .
Old 07-06-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I already had MoviePro in my app collection and with their recent upgrades they've gotten a lot closer to Filmic Pro according to reviewers. The MoviePro remote is a free download which is nice and it gives access to nearly every feature of the camera app except for the latest metering stuff. The main app has lots of meters, false color, zebras, focus peaking, and none of those are available through the remote so far.

I have a lot of affection for my mirrorless cameras, but I carry a hefty backpack to haul three bodies, six lenses, and a bunch of batteries. If I could get the same results from a few refurb phones stuffed in various pants pockets I wouldn't mind. I'm sure it's just around the corner.

Fran
Hi Fran
It's nice to have choices…and backpacks full of bodies, lenses, batteries etc.

If I'm shooting more temporary video (for immediate or soon-to-be-consumed) phones are often ok. But if I'm documenting, then I'll go with a mirrorless or dslr.

I have a 'suite' of apps which I use for my iPhone videos. My three favorites are my FilmicPro collection, Vee, and LapseIt.

Vee is a great start-to-finish iPhone 'casual' project app. Say I'm going to a birthday party…I create a project (give it a name basically) and it stores the clips in the order they were shot. Basic editing is built in…capability to trim/move clips and send them elsewhere after the project is done. So it saves tons of time and having to run them into Final Cut (editing software of choice).

It stores a series of projects (short or long term) in the app at the same time. I have a project from a Large Florida Theme Park which we visited for a few days…4 years back. I'll finish it off one of these days. In the interim, I've created other projects which I edited and shipped over the past 4 years.

So what are your favorite phone/video apps? Any other than what you mentioned?

Anyway, you inspire me to think, and play!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-07-2020, 04:45 AM

I have recently switched to IPhone (8) for video after trying it (Filmic) and being blown away by the quality and simplicity- easy to import and edit in LumaFusion too..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-07-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I am truly amazed at sound quality, video quality, & the lovely sound of your playing. Loved the very defined guitar tone.
Previously I had not been interested in a carbon fiber..but your sounds sublime. What company and model is that one?
Old 07-07-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
... Previously I had not been interested in a carbon fiber..but your sounds sublime.
Agreed. Not much exposure to carbon fiber guitars but this one sounds great. In the studio I've recorded a few cellos and they didn't.

Couch Standards
Old 07-07-2020, 11:07 AM

Well done!

Some of my Open Mic friends and I are putting up daily posts on Facebook to keep the O/M spirit alive. FIRST TAKES ONLY are allowed (just as if you're performing live).

Most of us, like me, just sing into our iPhones and post it straight to FB. It's not studio quality, but it's not bad and none of us in our 60/70's are looking for a record deal. LOL!!!

My phone is a iPhone 11 Pro and I love it.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Thanks.

I don't think I could get anything but frustrated trying to work on a video on my iPhone or even mini iPad. I can wait until I get home and just AirDrop the files on to my Mac .
It was definitely comical being hunched over the phone trying to cut right on the beat to get rid of a flub, but most of the rest of the editing was easy.

Except for the volume adjustment because I foolishly did my cuts before adjusting levels and the slider for the volume adjustment was fiddly as heck. And I had to cut the clip each time I wanted to change the text of the titler, so I had four or five different places to adjust the audio level. If I ever use iMovie again I hope I'll remember the correct order of adjustments.

Fran
Old 07-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
iMovie has a semi-useless EQ with presets (only), but you have to use it on your clips before you drop them into the timeline, same as the filters and cropping and all that. In my version of iMovie it's got a little bar-graph avatar and it's in a line with the filter "palette" and the cropping doohickey, etc.
If I ever find myself editing in iMovie again I hope I'll remember to look for this feature - but these days the memory may have been the first thing to go, I can't really remember.

Fran
Old 07-07-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

So what are your favorite phone/video apps? Any other than what you mentioned?

Anyway, you inspire me to think, and play!

I've used Camera+ and Camera Plus (what??) but the basic camera app keeps improving so I'm using those less and less. I've never tried Filmic because I didn't really pursue phone video until I got my latest phone. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the wimpy little MoviePro app I downloaded on a whim years ago had all growed up. In addition to the remote it offers higher bit rate video formats than the stock camera along with all the manual controls and metering I could wrap my head around.

I'm thinking I will eventually "have to" download Lumafusion to try some serious editing on the phone, but so far I'm resisting. When I research IOS NLE apps this seems to be the killer diller.

I do basically no audio on the phone in spite of all the iRig stuff I've bought over the last few years - what is wrong with me??? Just a second, I'll ask my wife ... yeah, she says I'm a total geek and will never be cured.

I think my favorite apps are the built-in timer and the Joule app that controls my sous-vide cooker, but that's a discussion for some other forum (grin).

I'm standing by for some of your playing to pop up in Show and Tell!

Fran

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD