The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 02:32 PM

Enigma, I've had my guitars hanging on Hercules wall hangers (and some on floor stands) for over 10 years. Never a problem. I've always put them into studs and when I couldn't I put a 6' x 6" pine stained board on the wall into the studs and put the guitar hangers in that. Room has always been climate controlled.

Let us know when you're done!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
With the conditions you describe, you don't need humidifiers. In my opinion, you also don't need Hercules wall hangers. They're bulky, ugly and unless you live in an earthquake-prone area, overkill in my opinion.

I bought String Swing hangers at a fraction of the cost of the Hercules. They are easy on the eye, easy on the guitar and easy on the wallet. If they're good enough for the acoustic rooms of nice guitar stores, they're good enough for me.

I'd say hang up and play away!
Got the deal of the day for the Hercules wall hangers B1G1 free, but I will check the string swings out as well!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma2806 View Post
Got the deal of the day for the Hercules wall hangers B1G1 free, but I will check the string swings out as well!
Coupon code for purchases at the String Swing website: STRINGSWING10
It will save you 10%.

With this, and free shipping over $20, best price is via the website.

From appearances, String Swing's seem to be used with most music stores for their in-store displays. I've recently got the white version of 5 guitar wall rail display, and am happy with it.
https://www.stringswing.com/rack-for...ctric-guitars/
Old 07-01-2020, 11:02 AM

I've got string swings mounted in my guitar room, and the great room upstairs. Only 2 guitars are in cases, the other 8 are hung, or in Hercules stands. Humidity in my home is generally above 30% during the worst part of the winter and 40-65% in the Summer...sometimes reaching 90% during the worst Michigan summer days.
Never had a problem with cracks. They're always there waiting for me. Some get forgotten for a few months while I rediscover how cool others are. I recycle NGD novelty that way.
And then, guitars are works of art, why not enjoy the sight of them up on the wall?
Old 07-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
And then, guitars are works of art, why not enjoy the sight of them up on the wall?
Agreed. We have a prototype Ovation resonator with a lovely koa top and palm tree sound holes. It was intended for the Hawaiian market where Ovations are particularly popular. It sounds good but isn't much fun to play, and it a great piece of wall art. I enjoy seeing my guitars up on the wall in plain view.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
Over the years, you'll get dust-dander-hair-crud build-up inside the instruments. The wood also has the potential to absorb odors (household cleaners, smoke, cooking).
When I was in graduate school my wife and I lived in an old house that was in less than ideal shape. I kept my guitar out on a stand. One day I found a roach in the guitar. I started keeping my guitar in a case.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

The insect kind or the smoking kind? If the latter, maybe best to leave it out of the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
When I was in graduate school my wife and I lived in an old house that was in less than ideal shape. I kept my guitar out on a stand. One day I found a roach in the guitar. I started keeping my guitar in a case.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 PM

Hanging playable guitars on a wall for display? I guess that would be okay.

I keep my playable guitars on A Frame stands, the others are kept in their case once I rotate out the ones on my A Frame stands.

It works for me and keeps me have peace of mind.

I would have climate control issues if I kept all my guitars on my walls. Not sure how much protection my guitars have in cases with regards to climate, but I just feel better about that.

To each their own, you have hardware installation you need to deal with, stability issues (nails in walls as well as climate) it just seems more of an inconvenience than a regular storage issue.

Course, I have 20 guitars, so that would be quite a few wall hangers. Maybe one or two on the wall, but not my entire collection.

Anyway, my 2 cents
Old 07-01-2020, 12:37 PM

Never had the desire to put them on the walls. To much work plus if I wanted to change furniture around I would have to start all over again. I also thought about to much exposure to heating and cooling furnace and a/c.

I do this.

IMG_2456.jpg
Old 07-05-2020, 05:51 PM

I’m a believer in hanging guitars. Mine are all on locking Hercules hangers, just in case...

Plus, I don’t have enough space to store all of the cases, so while some are in closets and under beds, a number of empty cases live in the attic.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 07-05-2020, 06:21 PM

Humidity has been much more between 40-42 for the last week giving me some pause. I did take my Taylor 324 out and since I have been playing it a lot more, but the Huss and Dalton and HD28 are still in the cases. Once I mount everything I will take a picture. Thanks for all the input all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion