The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2022, 10:21 AM

Default Robin Boucher Interview - Part 1: Quebec's 1st Guitar Company

I stumbled across this little gem from Acoustic Guitar Canada and thought to share it. I only wish it was longer.

I love Robin Boucher's obvious passion for lutherie. I also remember renting a Norman dreadnaught from Long and McQuade way back in 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3AhuYRoMsc

Last edited by Dan Boggs; 04-19-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:23 AM

Thanks Dan!
I have a BG-52-G ordered that is in process of being built...
Being left handed, I've never had the opportunity to play before I pay and have always had a little anxiety wondering if the guitar I was purchasing was going to be a 'good un"...or not.
But for the first time, there is no anxiety with this order as I know it will be stellar!
Can't wait!

Boucher BG-52-G LH
2018 Taylor 320e LH
Old 04-19-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHowdy View Post
Thanks Dan!
I have a BG-52-G ordered that is in process of being built...
Being left handed, I've never had the opportunity to play before I pay and have always had a little anxiety wondering if the guitar I was purchasing was going to be a 'good un"...or not.
But for the first time, there is no anxiety with this order as I know it will be stellar!
Can't wait!
You'll love it, GHH. I see a used lefty BG-42 is for sale near Montreal at a rather low asking price ($2800 CAD). For once I wish I was a lefty!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/oues...g42/1612531232
Old 04-19-2022, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Great price but going for the rosewood with torrified top..

Boucher BG-52-G LH
2018 Taylor 320e LH
Old 04-19-2022, 03:06 PM

Default Robin Boucher Interview - Part 2: Boucher Guitars - Wood

Here's the 2nd part of the interview.

Robin talks about the wood he uses on his guitars. He personally grades more than 15,000 Red Spruce tops every year and saves only the best for his own guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHrpywmo_Q&t=324s
Old 04-20-2022, 08:18 AM

I was fortunate enough to visit the Boucher workshop a few years back. My wife and I were headed to Quebec city for vaca so I emailed them. Robin replied and was very gracious and welcoming. He was out of town on our visit, but his associate Daniel showed us around. The highlight was at the end, when we went to this enclosed room with several finished guitars. He handed me one after another to try. After playing several, I had 2 favorites, a RW OM and a koa dread. Wow, that koa one was awesome. After we left, my wife says "aren't you going to buy one?" Bingo...that's all I needed. I contacted Daniel afterward and arranged to by the OM. The koa was way out of my league price wise. It was a great experience. I had previously played some Bouchers at Steve's in Montreal so I knew about them.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boggs View Post
Here's the 2nd part of the interview.

Robin talks about the wood he uses on his guitars. He personally grades more than 15,000 Red Spruce tops every year and saves only the best for his own guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHrpywmo_Q&t=324s
That is a big 'WOW'!

Boucher BG-52-G LH
2018 Taylor 320e LH

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion