The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-13-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Bellucci Guitar

I purchased a Bellucci Classical guitar a few years back....was really drawn in by the pictures on the website. Purchased directly from Peru. Beautiful looking guitar, but a construction disaster in my opinion. The frets are very rough at the edges, and the setup is high. The double top(nomex in between two pieces of wood) is obviously thin at places.
I've decided that I really want to find a new home for this guitar...and don't feel comfortable selling it because of the above. I have read since purchasing that people have spent quite a bit to make them playable, which I have decided doesn't interest me!
I was wondering if anybody had ideas about where I could donate this guitar or find it a new home...
Thanks!!

Jeff

Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Charis SJ African Blackwood/Carpathian Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Morgan 12 String EIR/Spruce
Bozo B100 EIR/Spruce
Old 06-13-2021, 03:34 PM

Great idea.

Guitars in the Classroom.
Guitars4vets.
Or your local school, school system or music teacher.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:33 PM

Default A contrary opinion...

On the other hand, perhaps the last place this belongs is in the hands of a beginner. They'll feel the sharp frets and won't know that this isn't normal, and can be fixed. They'll sense that it's hard to play, but won't know how that could be adjusted. If they get so far as a guitar shop, they won't pay $75 for a good setup because they have no investment in the guitar. Passed from hand to hand, this charity guitar could turn off a number of beginners from guitar playing.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-13-2021, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
On the other hand, perhaps the last place this belongs is in the hands of a beginner. They'll feel the sharp frets and won't know that this isn't normal, and can be fixed. They'll sense that it's hard to play, but won't know how that could be adjusted. If they get so far as a guitar shop, they won't pay $75 for a good setup because they have no investment in the guitar. Passed from hand to hand, this charity guitar could turn off a number of beginners from guitar playing.

I agree totally…that’s why I’m asking if anyone has had exposure to this guitar maker. Maybe I could see if any people in the area would be interested in repairing to the point of playability. I’m not interested in spending more money on a $3,000 guitar and then donating…thanks for the comments!

Bozo B100 EIR/Spruce
Old 06-16-2021, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Savage classical has a page on this that can be accessed by googling “savage classical bellucci”. It’s worth a read.
I think the sad take home from this is that usually it is too much work to rehabilitate the guitar as often the wood is improperly seasoned before construction even starts, and then there are problems frequently associated with the build.
I have no first hand knowledge myself, but was window shopping when I saw the Bellucci name associated with some “well known issues” and went looking. I’m sorry that you appear to have one with those.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:55 AM

When you say 'thin in places' what do you mean? DT guitar tops are very thin, that's the whole point of them. They are light and stiff.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
When you say 'thin in places' what do you mean? DT guitar tops are very thin, that's the whole point of them. They are light and stiff.

Thin enough that there are ‘crinkle lines’ about 1-2 inches long…they aren’t cracks, just like the wood has been folded unevenly in places, kind of like when you wad up a piece of paper and then speed it out…probably not a structural problem because of the nomex layer in between the two tops, but unsightly. The main issue is poor fret dressing, very rough and uneven, and cracked string support at the base.

Bozo B100 EIR/Spruce
Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 AM

After doing a bit of reading about them, it appears that they sell on the used market for $300 or so. Mostly people who have paid $3k and are now aware they were taken.

My suggestion is to sell it for $300 to $500 as a "project guitar" for an aspiring repair person/luthier. For that price, the aspiring repair person can have something to learn to perform repairs on.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 06-18-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
After doing a bit of reading about them, it appears that they sell on the used market for $300 or so. Mostly people who have paid $3k and are now aware they were taken.

My suggestion is to sell it for $300 to $500 as a "project guitar" for an aspiring repair person/luthier. For that price, the aspiring repair person can have something to learn to perform repairs on.

Interesting great idea…[emoji362] thanks!

Bozo B100 EIR/Spruce

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical