The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Default NGD damage and a few questions

I would appreciate some advice on a new guitar that I just took delivery of. It's a Larrivee C-03R-TE that was in pristine condition. Unfortunately, "was" being the operative word. The original owner had changed out the tuners and when I opened the guitar, one of the original tuners had found it's way out of the case compartment and was sitting on the top of the guitar near the very bottom in between the case and the top binding. I couldn't see any major dents or dings on the soundboard though on closer inspection there might be a very, very minor dent. As I pulled the guitar out, low and behold, several other tuners had found their way underneath the guitar body and below the headstock and the strap button was there as well. I did find a couple of dings on the top side of the neck and one on the side of the headstock. All in all, there was very little damage from what there could have been with loose heavy tuners jostling around. I didn't know if the strap pin had been installed and was loose due to a hard drop or what. I have talked to the original owner who states he never installed it. Now to the questions. When I tried to install the strap pin it just pushed the sleeve it screws into back towards the inside of the guitar. When I pushed it a little more with a pencil it fell into the inside of the guitar. Should that sleeve be that loose if it hasn't ever been installed? Also, do you just screw it in by hand when you install it or is there a tool that you use? I'm just hoping there wasn't a drop that was heavy enough to jar it out of the wood. Also, what would you think would be fair to ask for due to the dings? It was in absolute new like condition and still has the Larrivee tags from the factory on the case. I will likely call Larrivee but would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Not sure about the pin issue but loose parts sounds bad.

It is on the shipper to not have parts loose.

He or she should of put them in a baggie.

I always put bubble wrap on top of the fretboard cushioning to the case cover unless it is super snug to begin with.

I assume the parts immigrated from the case compartment and that it has a cover and the guitar neck holds it closed?

I would demand a return. You should've taken pictures when you see egregious conditions during any acoustic unpacking.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:36 AM

I think you're missing the point. I know what he should have done as far as packing, and I didn't take any pictures because I couldn't see any damage and there was only one tuner that was sitting at the bottom of the case on top. The rest were all underneath the guitar and I had no way of knowing that. As far as demanding a return, that's not what I am looking for unless there is an issue with the strap pin.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

those strap pins, (Taylor uses them too) are kinda a pain,

but there's no tool, you do just screw it together by hand. (And paragraphs are nice, easier to read)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:43 AM

Yeah we all know what the seller SHOULD have done

Can you upload a pic or 2 of the pin? As far as monetary compensation, that's entirely up to you and the seller. How much does the damage bother you? Some amount is certainly reasonable, but without seeing the damage, it's hard to say.

Sure stinks though!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:25 AM

Are you talking about the end pin? From your description is sounds like a No-Jak endpin which would have been installed to replace a former jack for a pickup.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Larrivee's standard end pin,.. is the same as Taylor's. There is a hex slot to tighten the unit, i forgot to mention in my earlier post.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 AM

I have found those endpins are great, but a pain in the backside to install. I use a dowel, about six inches long, whittled down on one end to fit the female part of the plug. I can then reach through the sound hole down to the endpin hole and hold it in place. The pin is then screwed into the insert using the correct wrench.

Or, take the guitar to your repair person for installation.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Yeah - just don’t glue it in -
Old 11-25-2020, 06:04 PM
Musical minimalist

Easy way to re-install that kind of endpin - put a small piece of double sided tape on the handle end of a screw driver and use the shaft as the handle so you can guide it down to the hole inside the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion