The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2021, 07:04 PM

Default Fingerpicking w/ percussive slapping

I think that's what you call it? It looks so simple but yet it's frustrating for me to get right away. I know I will, but anybody else find it tough at first?

It's here on this vid for Fly me to the Moon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=guit...F9PwPmeKw8As18
Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM

I've got the rhythm down now but the slapping doesn't sound as crisp as the recording. I guess I need to keep at it, as it true with all new things.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:41 PM

So no words of advice or encouragement? . It's a piece of cake for everyone else but me?
Old 06-10-2021, 06:58 AM

Like anything, it takes practice. It looks intuitive and natural, but it only feels like that when you can do it! That's actually a good video, he demonstrates the technique well. The difficulty is the coordination of thumb and fingers, because they perform different tasks.

Sometime, in fact the fingers can slap (with the backs of the nails) while the thumb picks bass strings - which is even more complicated!

The first person I ever saw play in this style was John Martyn - who was a true master:
Here's his classic:

Not great views of his right hand, unfortunately. More views here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_uv0uIY-g&t=22
Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I started learning a tune that has a small bit of slapping. I can't do it yet, mostly because I'm working on the sections before it starts, but its just a matter of slowing down to almost 0 mph and go from there.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-10-2021, 11:37 AM

It's like everything new that I try -- waaay harder than it looks!

The 'simple' tapping (when the tap is the only thing happening and there's no other notes being played during the tap) is still hard, cos you have to be re-positioning the left hand while concentrating on the right hand down-hit. And that kinda thing (doing a 'new' movement with my right hand while still having to move the left one as normal) messes with my brain. So I have to slow it down.

The other percussive hits (like hitting the low E with the thumb while having to pluck a higher string. Or worse: having to hit with a non-thumb while the thumb plucks) are even worse!

By going veeery slow and steady I can thumb-hit and finger pluck okay, but like the 'simple' tapping, it is gonna take many many hours over a few years for it to look easy and smooth.

Also, I have discovered that different guitars and different strings can make a difference to the tap sound. My parlour has a bit of neck relief, so when I strike down with the thumb it rings a note along with the snare, and sounds bad!

Tom
Old 06-10-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

If you do get the technique down be careful not to use that type of tapping too often. IMO listening to it gets old quickly.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-10-2021, 08:40 PM

The whappy, slappy, tappy technique...it's all right as an enhancement once in awhile...but a little bit of that goes a looong way...

Last edited by Denny B; 06-10-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:41 PM

Well now I don't feel so stupid, and I do agree it can be overdone. Reminds me of what Kenny Rogers once said about too much harmony singing. He said it becomes vulgar or something like that. To this day I can't stand barbershop quartets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write