The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-23-2024, 11:08 AM

Default Strap button relocation?

I have a fairly new-to-me J-45 that I really like except one thing: When I'm standing and playing, it tilts away from me and I can't see the fretboard or the top of the guitar (1st photo). This makes it really difficult to play standing up. The reason for this I think is that the strap button on the heel of the neck is located too close to the bottom. It's probably 1" from the button to the bottom of the heel. (2nd photo)

I compared it to the strap button on my 000-15M, which hangs properly, tilted towards me so that I can see the fretboard and the top of the guitar (1st photo below). The strap button placement is basically opposite the placement on the J-45. It's maybe an inch from the top of the heel. (2nd photo below)

Would it be reasonable to assume that if I relocated the strap button on the J-45 that it would hang properly? I don't want to drill and fill a hole and still have the same problem. If both guitars were the same size, I would be confident that relocating the button would fix the problem. Since they are different sizes, I wanted to ask before drilling.

Last edited by Maydog; 02-23-2024 at 12:49 PM. Reason: photos wouldn't post, had to go to plan B
Old 02-23-2024, 09:31 PM

Yes it will “hang” differently - I think you may find the bottom sits out a little more rather than the top sitting closer because your right arm will hold it against you. You can test this by holding the strap in place with your left hand (and with care). Of course hanging a guitar “no hands” is unrecommended - in my world anyway.
I wouldn’t have thought this difference was big enough to warrant filling and trying to repair a hole but that’s your call of course.
To Australians who’ve grown up with Matons and Cole Clarks we are quite accustomed to strap buttons on the base of a heel (where it can never get in the way of your left thumb) .. and it hasn’t held Tommy back very much.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:14 AM

I would imagine Tommy could make barbed wire nailed to a baseball bat sound good. The way the guitar is positioned is important to me. It's hard enough for me to stay focused on the task at hand when I'm playing as it is. I don't want to be distracted by having my guitar tilted away from me. I would like to keep this guitar forever, so if I need to drill a hole in it to enjoy it more, I'll do that. I just would rather not drill another hole in it unless it's going to help me achieve my desired result.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of how the strap button placement on the heel affects the forward tilt angle, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:28 PM

I understand Maydog - you’d like to hear from people who have done what you’re asking about.
In the meantime, if you’ll excuse me repeating something - you can test it out for yourself by holding the strap in the places you are considering (and even exaggerate the positions) .. pinch that end of your strap between a finger on the underside of your guitar’s heel and your thumb on top (without twisting of course and while keeping you right arm in playing position with the same pressure - it’s not difficult to do) and observe the results as often as you’d like.
You may find that more informative than reading others’ opinions .. just if that helps you.
I hope you get some knowledgeable replies.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:33 AM

Default Hmm

Aye, up. The strap buttons on both your guitars seem placed a little lower and a little higher than where I normally fit mine (bang in the centre of the heel curve at the thickest point). But, be that as it may, I have an Auden guitar which (similar to yours and a previous Auden that I had) came with the button in broadly the same low position as yours. It isn't a dread, but the sides are pretty much almost as deep as a dread. But I haven't noticed any difference caused by the button position. Maybe I just subconsciously adapt, dunno. But if it bugs you, then you'll need to fix it, although as the neck heel on the J45 will be glossy, it will need a fair bit of work to disguise the hole (otherwise keep it there).

Honestly, I'd persevere if I were you, e.g. change position of the guitar as it hangs i.e. raise the neck higher / tighten the strap etc. That might resolve your issues.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-25-2024, 11:03 AM

Reviewing Frank Ford's "Installing a strap button" instructions at Frets.com is a very good idea before drilling the heel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair