The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2023, 11:17 AM

I would after you do a quick unprofessional examination, take it to a qualify to a luthier for a setup. Explain to them you just got the guitar besides doing a setup, ask them to examine the guitar for issues.

I do that with all of my guitars as soon as I get them. A good way to kill two birds with one stone. If a problem is uncovered, it's well worth that small setup fee which I was going to pay anyway.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 01-13-2023, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Many good suggestions above. I didn't see "check that the bridge is not lifting" so that's my add.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Was it shipped with the endpin installed or in the box?
Case to endpin clearances are sometimes tight and a heavy drop might drive the endpin into the tail block like a wedge- can cause side cracks.
Yes, and that could happen w/o obvious damage to the shipping box, assuming it was dropped flat on the end.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
I've bought many a guitar from Guitar Guitar and never had a problem. They are a fantastic retailer.

Things to check are

1) Headstock. Pay particular attention to the back of the headstock for any cracks or splits. This may indicate a headstock break or undue stress being caused by incorrect handling. Very unlikely though.

2) if there are puncture holes in the shipping box check nothing has gone all the way through. The case should have protected the guitar and at worst there may be superficial marks on the case

The state of the shipping box is a great indicator of any likely damage.

If you do find anything you're not happy with, photograph it and call the staff at Guitar Guitar straight away. They'll sort any issues out without fuss or delay.

Don't worry too much. Guitar Guitar send out hundreds of instruments and pack them well. Enjoy the J45
Thanks for the incredibly thorough reply! Like genuinely, very nice of you. The box looks to be in good condition to me, just a few small tears on just the surface. I took some pictures, what do you think? https://imgur.com/a/fijmpNW
Old 01-13-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
shipping damage is hard to miss. The box will tell that story
Gotcha, thanks! Box looks good to me. Took some pictures of it, what do you think? https://imgur.com/a/fijmpNW
Old 01-13-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
As has been noted, most shipping related damage will be really obvious, in the form of piercing or crushing blows to the box.

But, as has been mentioned, is the headstock "whiplash" issue (as Jayne called it). A dropped guitar can have a damaged headstock with no outward evidence of a problem [edit: I mean outward in terms of the box]. Gibsons are particularly vulnerable to these injuries because of the trussrod adjustment at the headstock. Such injuries can run the gamut from fine cracks around the headstock to neck transition all the way up to total failure and accompanying decapitation.

This kind of damage, while a possibility, is still fairly uncommon.
Thanks! The box looks good to me, no real damage to it. I snapped some pictures, what do you think? https://imgur.com/a/fijmpNW
Old 01-13-2023, 03:22 PM

Excellent -

Now, if after you open it and you find they shipped you a '37 D-45 or an Olson or such by mistake,
you'll have to decide on whether to send it back.

(juuuust kidding, send it back)
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, shipping, shipping guitars