The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 08:36 PM

Default Custom Martins -- Choice of Neck Shape and Bridge Spacing?

I just went through Martin's custom configurator, and nowhere in the process was I given a choice of neck shape or bridge spacing. Are they no longer customizeable?
Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 PM

I think that's a detail left for the dealer to advise and work on with the factory.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
I just went through Martin's custom configurator, and nowhere in the process was I given a choice of neck shape or bridge spacing. Are they no longer customizeable?
No 12 frets either. Someone else said this but imaging going to a Taylor and they could offer you one leg length.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:25 AM

Yeah I thought the martin customizer was super lacking aswell
They didnt even have 12 fret as an option
and then I'd see listings and videos of other peoples custom orders with a whole bunch of options that arent on martins customizer

As far as I understand it you have to goto a dealer and tell them all the options and customizations you want and then they will contact martin and sort it all out.

Anyone here have experience custom ordering? Is the above correct? Because I've been wanting to get a custom shop martin and was wondering how I'd go about it.
Can we contact martin direct or are we stuck going through dealers?
Old 04-21-2021, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Yes, you contact a Martin dealer. It should be one experienced with the Custom Shop process. They will lead you through the long list of things in the ordering process. Then they'll submit the order and you will have to approve it. Be very careful with this because once you approve it, it will cost you a lot to make any changes.

Right now they are very backed up, but if you were doing a custom with only neck shape and string spacing changes, I think it would go very quickly.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:38 AM

I ordered my first Martin from the Custom Shop in 2015 and it was a great experience. The configurator is somewhat limited but is fun to play with.

My guitar is a 12 fret, short scale 000 with a low profile neck and a slotted head stock. This neck profile matches my standard OM35 and includes a 3 piece mahogany back and sides, scalloped bracing, herringbone trim and tortoise shell binding. It is a combination of an HD35 and 000-18 and I was given a 6-7 month completion date. I received my guitar 5 months and 1 day after I submitted the order. My dealer also arranged a visit for me to the factory to see my guitar halfway through the build.

Overall, a great experience.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

That online configurator is a joke. I can't understand why they can't make that accurate and modernize it.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
That online configurator is a joke. I can't understand why they can't make that accurate and modernize it.
Totally agree. It's been a joke for years. Martin needs to hire a competent webmaster to bring them into the 21st century and streamline their entire website. The redesign from several years ago is still lacking on so many levels.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-21-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Totally agree. It's been a joke for years. Martin needs to hire a competent webmaster to bring them into the 21st century and streamline their entire website. The redesign from several years ago is still lacking on so many levels.
I think it would totally help their custom shop sales. A lot of people get intimidated trying to talk to a dealer who wants a deposit if you start working up a configuration.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I think it would totally help their custom shop sales. A lot of people get intimidated trying to talk to a dealer who wants a deposit if you start working up a configuration.
A deposit just to get a quote? I hope it's refundable if the decision is made to not move forward.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:49 AM

Those quotes can be a lot of work. Usually the first pass is free and then they want a deposit to know if you're serious before the iterative parsing out the myriad of options.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
A deposit just to get a quote? I hope it's refundable if the decision is made to not move forward.
You make your deposit when you submit the finished quote and get in the waiting line. Any way with Maury you do.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

The online widget is just a marketing thing to get you engaged and thinking about a custom. To place an order, you have to go thru a vendor who will give you an actual price on what you want. Most options are not available on the online tool.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
You make your deposit when you submit the finished quote and get in the waiting line. Any way with Maury you do.
Here's the exact quote he said to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury's
Thank you for your interest in a Martin Custom guitar! For your reference, the build time for a Martin Custom guitar is roughly 6 - 8 months (not guaranteed). The first quote is free and there`s no obligation. If you choose to proceed further (with revisions or an entirely new quote), we must collect a non-refundable $500 deposit, good for 60 days. This allows us to keep the custom quote process working smoothly and reduces delays at Maury`s Music and at Martin. Thank you for your understanding.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
The redesign from several years ago is still lacking on so many levels.
The redesign actually made it worse. There were a lot more options available on the previous one... though it was far from complete.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion