The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-14-2021, 04:02 PM

Default Taylor buzzing. Coming from electronics card

So, I have a Taylor with expression system, and I'd discovered this buzzing sound when I play the low G on my guitar. Maybe it happens other times, but that low G appears to be the perfect frequency to create the buzz. I've been trying to figure it out for a while. I put a capo on the 3rd fret today, and went hunting.

I discovered that if I just gently rest my hand on the electronics card, that will make the buzz disappear. So, I feel like this is actually a pretty easy "repair" all I would need to do is wedge a small piece of foam or something somewhere? But I don't know exactly where or what, and how to access it.

Any and all ideas much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:45 PM

What model Taylor?

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-14-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar issue. Ultimately I removed the electronics card until a Taylor tech could look at it.
It could be a loose bushing (under the knobs) or a loose capacitor.
There may also be a phaser switch that can be loose.
I painter taped the wires until a guy could look at it, he fixed it and it’s right as rain now. I think it cost me a hundred bucks.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
What model Taylor?

Steve
816ce. I believe it's vintage around like 2008-09 sort of thing. I forget exactly.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:16 PM

Cool, had to check, the nylons had a sympathetic g vibration from the wiring harness as it is attached to the underside of the top

Yours will most likely be as mentioned above a loose barrell nut, the three control knobs simply pull out with a good set of fingernails. Underneath where they sit are three barreel nuts, just lightly tighten them up to start with, they have between them and the circuit board a plastic spacer block, it is likely that block is the cause of the resonating.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-14-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
What model Taylor?

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I had a similar issue. Ultimately I removed the electronics card until a Taylor tech could look at it.
It could be a loose bushing (under the knobs) or a loose capacitor.
There may also be a phaser switch that can be loose.
I painter taped the wires until a guy could look at it, he fixed it and it’s right as rain now. I think it cost me a hundred bucks.
I might go that route. Thing is, just sort of touching the card pretty gently solves it. seems like something that wouldn't be very difficult to solve on my own. I don't tough anything other than the card, so it's either the card itself rattling, or potentially somehow the knobs as you say, but I don't believe on the outside of the body, since I don't think pushing on the knobs alters the vibration. Maybe I'll take a closer look next time I take the strings off. It could just be something simple that came slightly loose.

I really only notice it on that low G which means whatever it is, cant be that extreme. The buzz isn't super loud. Would be easy to mistake as just a slight misfret. I think most people probably wouldn't notice, but I definitely do. and I love that low G too lol.

I don't think it's any component on the card, but maybe somehow using tape as a temporary fix might do the trick. I'm gonna have to investigate further.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair