The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 PM

Not sure whereabouts you are, but if in the UK, tryout Michael Messer guitars, both wood and metal body are great quality for their money.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:43 AM

Definitely a National wins over a gretsch, but the cost difference is considerable! I've never owned a Gretsch but I have played quite a few over the years in stores as I am always curious (and Republics and so on). I would definitely try before you buy if you can, I played two identical models side by side at one stage (I think it was a boxcar...) one was not good at all and the other was really, really nice. I played another recently which I liked so much I was mentally going through my collection deciding what to sell before I snapped out of it.
They can be great, but play first if you if you can.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-23-2019, 05:53 AM

I play blues with a slide on my resonator guitars. I own a Gretch Boxcar, Gold Tone PBR-D with a Beard Legend cone, and a National steel NRP. For general information: the NRP has a biscuit bridge steel body, the Boxcar and the PBR-D have a spider bridge laminate wood body. The two different styles have very different tones to me. The Boxcar is a great value. I also bought a Boxcar after watching Toby Walker on Youtube. The Boxcar is no match for the PBR-D or the NRP but is still a very good instrument.

I bought my 2007 PBR-D used, in 2018, for $500 with a good quality hardshell case. I changed out the 11 year old Beard BC-1 cone for a Beard Legend cone. Huge difference in tone with the Legend cone. I really love this guitar. I often see these on the used market for a reasonable price.

The NRP is a 2009 model. I bought it in 2019 for $1500 with OEM hardshell case. It is in mint condition. I replaced the cone with a new National cone. I assumed replacing a 10 year old cone would be a good idea. There was noticeable tone improvement with the new cone. The NRP is a much better built guitar than the other two and I would buy another if mine disappeared.

On another note, I bought a Gold Tone Beard GRS, online from Guitar Center, before I bought the NRP. The GRS is biscuit bridge steel body guitar that looks similar to a NRP. I thought since I liked my Gold Tone Beard PBR-D, I would like the GRS. I did not care for the tone or the construction of the GRS. In open G tuning it sounded like a banjo. I tried different cones and strings and was never able to get decent tone from the guitar. When I had the cone out, I inspected the construction inside. The structural design was somewhat similar to the NRP neckstick design but the workmanship and execution was very sloppy. I took the GRS back to Guitar Center I went on the hunt for my NRP.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:41 PM

I'm not that much of a resonator player but I've never played a Gretsch that sounded or felt anywhere as nice as a good National. I've owned a Tricone in the past and am presently saving up for a Collegian for country blues slide
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
I'm not that much of a resonator player but I've never played a Gretsch that sounded or felt anywhere as nice as a good National. I've owned a Tricone in the past and am presently saving up for a Collegian for country blues slide

Are you Ray Whitney who used to play hockey for the San Jose Sharks?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 PM

I have a Gretsch Honeydipper. It's a decent reso for someone like me that only plays slide once in a while.

It's not a National. But I didn't expect it to be.

But worth what I paid for it no doubt.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Go to Reverb and set up a feed for National’s. Watch it like a hawk. Reasonably priced ones pop up but they go quickly. I got my 2005 Polychrome Tricone for under $1200 and bought it within an hour of it being listed. Selllers who have things listed will sometimes do a big price drop. You have to do your research and be ready to jump.

Nothing wrong with Gretsch and they are good for the money but the difference is night and day and it’s worth being patient for a good deal on a National. It will also hold its value.

Been trying this... I think you’re right. I’m not looking at that specific model but several that I like are popping up used but barely played for a substantial discount and it makes the economics pretty different. I think I’m going to save up for the National. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

And if that post was from Ray Whitney of the Sharks, thanks for all the great goals, esp that 2OT goal against Kidd in the playoffs!!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:17 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digelectric View Post
Are you Ray Whitney who used to play hockey for the San Jose Sharks?
Ha, just saw this. No that’s not me. I only played for the Red Wings! (just kidding).
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 01-07-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I have a Republic Duolian that sounds good and plays easily as received from Republic. I ordered mine with an optional Schatten NR-2 Biscuit Bridge Piezo Pickup. The guitar comes with a really decent hardened gig bag. The whole shebang cost me about $800 shipped including tax. Read my review here

Republic Guitars
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-07-2021, 06:47 PM

If you're just going to dip your toe into the pool, a Gretsch is fine. I say buy used, so you don't lose a lot if you decide to upgrade and sell i . If you're serious, buy once and get a National. Used Nationals can be found for not that much if you're patient. And others may disagree, but I say go with a metal body for any thing other than a spider cone!

For blues, a single biscuit cone.
Fingerpicking and all rounder, tricone
For bluegrass, Spider cone
Old 01-09-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
Ha, just saw this. No that’s not me. I only played for the Red Wings! (just kidding).

Bummer. It would be super cool if you went from Hockey pro to acoustic guitar player and gave me advice on this forum. I guess that was a long shot but I’ll still listen to you
Old 01-09-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I have a Republic Duolian that sounds good and plays easily as received from Republic. I ordered mine with an optional Schatten NR-2 Biscuit Bridge Piezo Pickup. The guitar comes with a really decent hardened gig bag. The whole shebang cost me about $800 shipped including tax. Read my review here

Republic Guitars

Those are cool. Never heard of them before. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-09-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
If you're just going to dip your toe into the pool, a Gretsch is fine. I say buy used, so you don't lose a lot if you decide to upgrade and sell i . If you're serious, buy once and get a National. Used Nationals can be found for not that much if you're patient. And others may disagree, but I say go with a metal body for any thing other than a spider cone!

For blues, a single biscuit cone.

Fingerpicking and all rounder, tricone

For bluegrass, Spider cone

Yeah I’ve been lazy about working on my blues during covid so I haven’t bought anything yet. However I was thinking it probably makes sense for me to get a less expensive resonator for now and see if it sticks before deciding if I want to get someone in the $2k+ range.

Truth is, I’m more of an electric guy and dabble in finger style blues and classical so I can get by with a $500-800 guitar no problem. If me testing the waters becomes life changing.. well then it’s totally worth a bigger investment.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:50 AM
Guitar Gourmet

HERE is my review of the Gretsch G9202 Honey Dipper Special I've added to my studio kit. i agree with Wade: if this is going to be a first-line instrument for you, you will probably want a National or a Dobro. I get a request do to a session with a reso about once every two years so I just needed a decent reso at a price point that wouldn't dominate my budget. Be sure to read all the way down about the case and cone.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-12-2021, 01:42 AM

Thanks for all the info in this thread, it's all very informative. I'm thinking about getting one and am looking at a real nice Gretsch Boxcar right now for $350. That's all my budget will allow at this time. I'll let you know if I get it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments