The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Any Bourgeois SJ owners/fans on AGF?

I've bought quite a bit of gear in the last year but the Bourgeois SJ stands out as my favourite guitar by a long stretch.

Mine has an Italian spruce top and Madagascar RW back and sides, along with 2 5/16 string spacing at the bridge. While it's a good all rounder, it's mostly a great fingerstyle guitar that has rich and well define bass along with thick and explosive trebles.

I also love the shape -- round and compact.

What are your thoughts on this model?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM

hi Joe,
that sounds like a beaut you got there, the tonewoods used shout quality, in fact I've got some Italian and Mad/rose set aside for a future build
Did you get it new, ? if so you wont beileve the sound that'll come outa it after a year or two of good playing. I got a JOM back in '99 and after a few years it sounded like a totally different guitar, for the better.
I like 'curvy' guitars also, good pickin.
Geo
Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
hi Joe,
that sounds like a beaut you got there, the tonewoods used shout quality, in fact I've got some Italian and Mad/rose set aside for a future build
Did you get it new, ? if so you wont beileve the sound that'll come outa it after a year or two of good playing. I got a JOM back in '99 and after a few years it sounded like a totally different guitar, for the better.
I like 'curvy' guitars also, good pickin.
Geo
Hi Geo,

Thanks for your post.

I got mine new indeed and it's still too shiny for me to really enjoy it...

The Bourgeois SJ doesn't seem to get much attention, as evidenced by the lack of posts here...
Old 01-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Hi Joe,

I am very glad to hear that you like that new Bourgeois SJ! I have never had the pleasure of playing one, but your description sounds wonderful. If you have recorded any sound files, I would be very interested in hearing whatever you have.

Congratulations Joe!
- Glenn
Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Joe,

I am very glad to hear that you like that new Bourgeois SJ! I have never had the pleasure of playing one, but your description sounds wonderful. If you have recorded any sound files, I would be very interested in hearing whatever you have.

Congratulations Joe!
- Glenn
Thanks Glenn!

Honestly, on a recording it would probably sound very much like my Martin. The SJ comes with those thin braces, which gives it a tone reminiscent of vintage spec 000/OMs.

In person, the trebles are more explosive than my OM-21, the harmonics are really loud and clear -- and the thing just has more drive and overtones.

In terms of fun and personal enjoyment, I think it was well worth the money. In terms of looks, I couldn't more satisfied. But in terms of impressing the crowd with a guitar that sounds so superior it will knock your socks off, not really... I'm pretty down to earth and I know the difference will be barely audible on a recording.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Last edited by bzean123; 07-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM

I've been interested in this model for awhile but have never had the chance to play one (I have a Bourgeois 00 that I love, but wouldn't mind something with a little more bass). Looks like a new one just got listed at the Music Emporium in MA (cocobolo/adi). I think a visit might be in order!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Yes, the one that just came in at Music Emporium looks amazing! I continue to enjoy my two models.....19 years apart!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi Joe,

Wanted to check in and see if your Bourgeois SJ is still impressing! With your stable that's pretty tough competition.

I would like to ask how you would characterize the SJ sound vs the Bourgie OM's?

Love listening to your clips, especially the multi-guitar "sketches". Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM

sorry...misread the numbers
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I've bought quite a bit of gear in the last year but the Bourgeois SJ stands out as my favourite guitar by a long stretch.
I love the SJ shape as well. Your comment is most interesting given the stunning arsenal of guitars that you have. Can you offer up more detail about what makes the SJ your "favourite guitar by a long stretch"?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim500 View Post
Hi Joe,

Wanted to check in and see if your Bourgeois SJ is still impressing! With your stable that's pretty tough competition.

I would like to ask how you would characterize the SJ sound vs the Bourgie OM's?

Love listening to your clips, especially the multi-guitar "sketches". Thanks!
Thank you for checking out my clips. I haven't contributed much lately but sure hope to catch up soon.

In regards to the Bourgeois SJ, I must admit I haven't played this guitar in several weeks now. I still like it very much but have had newer instruments to play with. I am planning to give it to my dad who's interested in learning the guitar (unless he prefers my H&D OM).

Of all my guitars, the Bourgeois SJ is probably the liveliest and the most "hi-fi" sounding. I will most likely turn this one into a strummer once I find a way to stick the pickguard on it. As for as "melodic fingerstyle" is concerned, my Kraut OM has stronger note fundamentals, which helps in keeping a fat melody line all the way up. The Bourgeois has more of a crystalline quality to it, with very clear bass notes.

As for a comparison with the Bourgeois OM, I'm afraid I can't help as I never played Dana's OM. My interest was always in having a "different" instrument and I already had a Martin OM and an H&D OM at that point.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
I love the SJ shape as well. Your comment is most interesting given the stunning arsenal of guitars that you have. Can you offer up more detail about what makes the SJ your "favourite guitar by a long stretch"?
Hey Jon,

This is an old thread and I think I was comparing with the H&D OM, Gibson L-00 and others I acquired at the time.

All of these guitars sound very different and I enjoy them thoroughly. I just think the SJ looks very pretty.

Otherwise I think that was just my "emotional" statement of the day...
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Is it this one?
http://www.12fret.com/content/2012/0...-jumbo-custom/

It sure is a beauty. I own two Bourgeois guitars and I couldn't be happier with them.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Joe. It's fun listening to your different guitars. It's sort of like "Joe's Guitar Gallery" where we can hear some amazing guitars. Thank you.

Jon: checked out your site too. Like Joe, really nice playing on some great songs. What's your recording chain?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion