The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 10:57 PM

Bob Thompson. I always used to shy away from Martin style guitars. The action was usually high in the stores and the necks were often too big for my hands. It didn't help that my local shops told me that Martins and Gibsons were supposed to have high action. I eventually learned that setups weren't set in stone. Martin may or may not offer the neck shape I want on a given year, but Bob also added a nice, comfy bevel. Long story short, I enjoy Martin style guitars now.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Your guitar religion is a function of the tenets thereof that you seek out. When I refocused on the tenets that would work for me I was able to arrive at my new holy grail.

I abandoned the concept of Tone Above All which invariably leads one to the concept of My Guitar Only Louder which in turn drives one down the rabbit hole The Quest for the Ultimate Pickup System which ultimately leads one to the Best Pickup System Ever Invented, which is worshipped. Until the next, better one emerges.

Having abandoned Tone Above All (TAA) I was able to search for the One True Bar Gigging Guitar (different from the One True Polite, Attentive Audience Guitar), I was able to put aside the $3K guitar with about $1K of tried and failed pickup systems in favor of a Godin A6 Ultra.

There have been, and are several Usurpers, but so far my loyalty remains with the Godin.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:01 AM

Gibson did this for me, surprisingly enough. As far as electrics, I always played strats, and my main acoustic was a martin OMC. Then in 1.5 years, I sold everything and now just have a gibson electric, (R8 Les Paul) a gibson acoustic (1942 J-45 Legend) and my only other guitar is my grandmother's kid-sized guitar.

Turns out all the sounds I really wanted we're gibson sounds and I kept trying to get them with other guitars. I had owned 3 Les Paul's previously at different points, and never could bond with them until borrowing a friend's '57 Gold Top reissue....man..that was a game changer. I sold 75% of my music gear and bought my R8 few months later. I also previously had owned a square shoulder 1979 "J-45 deluxe" which had too many issues to even play so it say without strings for 12 years until i gave it to a friend. Then I played a friend's J-200 and thought "I really need to give Gibson acoustics another chance." I bought my J-45 a few months later.

I can't get every sound in the world, but I can get all the sounds I want from these 2 guitars.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:13 AM

For me it has to be Brook Guitars which to those on here who know me will come as no surprise.

Having owned many guitars up to that point I got my first one in 2010. It was a used Torridge built 2 years earlier and I just remember thinking that it was a thing of beauty. But for me the allure of Brook Guitars and the location of the workshop was secondary to the inspiration that it gave me in terms of my playing. However, more importantly for me is the writing of my own compositions. Before that purchase I hadn't done any but I have now written well 40 over pieces and whatever you or I think of the quality of those compositions for me you can't beat that feeling when a piece is finished.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q

Last edited by UKPhil; 04-27-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 AM

I'm a Gibson guy also. But I do like my Collings and Waterloo, so im a bit of a heretic.

'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 04-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

More broadening horizons rather than changing religion. I picked up a 39 J 35 one day.......
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-27-2021, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty agnostic on guitar brands, so I guess that's already aligned with my religion.

But I suppose Eastman had the biggest influence in recent years. In 2016, I was in my second year of playing again (after a 10 year hiatus) and first deep dive into acoustic guitars. I had a half dozen guitars and was close to purchasing a Martin CS Rosewood/Adi dread (HD28A?). The sound and build quality were excellent, and although it was at the top end of my budget, the sensible side of me couldn't reconcile the benefits over the additional cost.

I shared my dilemma with an online friend, who encouraged me to check out Eastman. Short version: I played an E20D that I loved, came home, did my homework, and ordered the first (or one of the first) E40D guitars, which had the "40" style appointments that I loved (and less than half the price of the Martin CS model).

Since then, I sold off my other guitars and replaced them with more Eastman. I love their products, and making the switch has afforded me a more diverse guitar collection than I would have had otherwise, while keeping me completely satisfied with their sound and build quality. I have eclectic tastes, so I enjoy having a wide variety of tonewoods and body sizes.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Bourgeois converted me in several ways, not specifically related to brand. I totally buy into bolt-on necks now, which I didn't before, AND actually now prefer a really "good" catalyzed finish over nitro. The tone of two Bourgeois' I own convinced me that expensive future neck resets and fragile, finicky finishes were not required for great guitars. Now not saying, I'm not eyeing a new (or older) Martin somewhere in the future...My current GAS seems headed in that direction.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, I suppose most would call me an athiest, but Eastman would be the one, with Martin a close second.

I heard somewhere that Martin is the oldest privately-held company in American still owner and run by the same family. I also love that they represent the American dream -- started by a dirt-poor German immigrant barely getting by to becoming one of the most iconic companies in this or any other industry. That is just so inspiring to me. I hope Martin is never forced to sell out to a corporate parent, just for the brand to survive.

And Eastman. Well, heck, they just make amazing acoustic guitars.

scott memmer
Old 04-27-2021, 11:12 PM

I played a Martin 000-28ec maybe 10 or 11 years ago that I couldn't dare afford at the time, but it was amazing. I might still probably buy the right one if I came across it. It was really different (shorter scale, wider spacing, smaller body) than what I was used to and it made me re-think what was possible in an acoustic guitar.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion