The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 09:00 PM

I put some XSs on my L-03R 4 days ago and have been impressed by them so far. They are noticeably less "harsh" than the Elixirs I've tried on it as well as less slippery while keeping the slide noise at a minimum. They are definitely pricey, but if the longevity holds up like how Elixirs hold up, they are worth it.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:35 PM

I bought a pack of mediums at Guitar Center even though I swore to myself I wouldn't cave to the next best thing. What can I say?

I'm a string junky.
I suffer from FOMO.
They could be the next best thing since sliced bread.

I've bought and tried Plectrums and I've tried Parabolics, so price won't make me shy away. However, I did not find either of the aforementioned good enough to go back. So the XS better be something special at just over $18 or it will be the last pack I buy. I did like the XT quite a bit even though they don't seem to be a favorite on AGF.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had minor tonal issues using XS strings on a Collings OM and removed them after a week. However, I’ve been using XS strings on a Froggy Bottom M for a week and they are outstanding. The comment in my maintenance notebook — “these might be the best yet!” Great rich balanced tone, terrific feel and quiet finger slides. Now to see what time will do.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:36 AM

my first touch, added to older test for comparison

Old 05-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Yea, the price is steep. I'm still liking them on my eastman 822ce-ff, but it's only been a few weeks. They better be good for the long haul for me to think about keeping them in regular rotation.
Strings and beyond has a site wide sale going on, and the XS are included. So you can save about three bucks, putting them temporarily a little cheaper than elixirs.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:42 PM

Deeper with better sound...

Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 AM

I've got a 12-string set coming, as I'm about to give up on my experiment with Martin Retro's* on my Seagull cedar-topped 12-string. I've usually liked Elixirs for feel and sound, and the coated plain strings are to my mind an extra, favorable, factor for the XS line for 12-string players.

*I love Retros on two of my 6 strings and particularly with my 00-15 they are a match made in heaven. I've only got a couple of hours playing time in on the set on the Seagull 12, but the overtones just clash in such a unappealing way that I can't stand the noise long enough to get them more played in.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-03-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
Deeper with better sound...

Excellent video production! By deeper do you mean more bass response?
Old 05-03-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I've got a 12-string set coming, as I'm about to give up on my experiment with Martin Retro's* on my Seagull cedar-topped 12-string. I've usually liked Elixirs for feel and sound, and the coated plain strings are to my mind an extra, favorable, factor for the XS line for 12-string players.

*I love Retros on two of my 6 strings and particularly with my 00-15 they are a match made in heaven. I've only got a couple of hours playing time in on the set on the Seagull 12, but the overtones just clash in such a unappealing way that I can't stand the noise long enough to get them more played in.
I also had a less than fun experiment with the Retro 12 string. Please let us know how the XS compare.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Excellent video production! By deeper do you mean more bass response?
Thanks, I mean deeper look on strings...
Old 05-06-2021, 02:47 PM

You should, because the XS have completely different coating. The entire string is wound, then coated, just like Elixirs. XT's are coated/treated first, then wound. The latter never made much of a difference in terms of longevity to me, but the former does. For me and my acidic hands, Elixirs outlast other strings, including coated/treated, by many months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I haven't found any longer life from two former D'Addario coated strings. They last about the same as the uncoated ones. I like D'Addario's and use them most of the time, but I don't see any reason to try these.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-06-2021, 02:50 PM

Great review, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab View Post
I use Elixirs only because I don’t like string noise. I play soft fingerstyle, and with my bad skills, the string noise just drives me nuts. None of the other uncoated or coated strings that I have tried were as quiet as elixirs, so I was really eager to try these out and got a set a few days ago.

Feel wise they feel like elixirs, I don’t think I could pass a blind test by feel. And they are as silent in string noise and squeak as elixirs for me, which I love.

Tone wise, I hated them at first. Thought they sounded very thin and bright, and couldn’t wait to switch back to elixirs. But after a day with a lot of playing, I liked them a lot. After 2 days, I am in love... I like the tone better than elixirs, hard to put into words, but they just sounds better in all aspects.

They are worth a couple of bucks more than elixirs to me, but time will tell on longevity.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-08-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Great review, thank you.
Thanks, YMMV but I love them. That was lights on a 000-28. I loved it so much that I have put mediums on my gs mini koa, and that sounds great as well.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Have XS 12-53 on the GT Koa for 3 weeks. Have Elixer Nano PB 12-53, my usual, on the 814. These are very similar strings! Do like the coated plains on the XS and my even give the tone contest to the D’Addario. Will know more in about a month.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:05 PM

So I am an 80/20 guy, and so reached out to D'Addario, and said it would be later this year for 80/20 strings. I have high hopes, as the EXP are one of my favorite strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion