The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 03:08 AM

Default Playing Gigs in SE Asia. How do I stop or reduce how quickly my strings rust out

Hey guys. I'm playing gigs in Thailand and my strings are rusting out very quickly (obviously).. even Elixirs. I also use fast fret before and after every gig. Any other tips? Was thinking maybe a dehumidifier in my guitar case or something?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityOrange View Post
Hey guys. I'm playing gigs in Thailand and my strings are rusting out very quickly (obviously).. even Elixirs. I also use fast fret before and after every gig. Any other tips? Was thinking maybe a dehumidifier in my guitar case or something?
How quickly is quickly? When I was regularly gigging, I was changing my strings every 3 weeks. My hands sweat a lot so my strings corrode pretty quickly.

To get mileage from them, I keep a cloth dampened with Dr. Duck's Axe Wax in my guitar case. At the end of any playing session or the end of a set, I wipe down each string. It gets the crud off and lubricates the string. If I didn't do this, I would have been changing my strings every week or two...no joke.

For this reason, I'd use less expensive strings and keep a lot of sets on hand...the low end Martin strings on my acoustic and Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's on my electrics.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:48 AM

Never heard of that stuff.. but sounds interesting. Why would you wet the rag though if you are applying a wax? I will try and find some. I use fast fret and it really doesn't do anything. Thanks for the great tip
Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering if a better case that will keep humidity low would help? Not like a Glieb case, but something like a Hiscox.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Never heard of that stuff.. but sounds interesting. Why would you wet the rag though if you are applying a wax? I will try and find some. I use fast fret and it really doesn't do anything. Thanks for the great tip
It's not actually wax, it's an oil. It acts as a solvent that get the crud and moisture off.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 AM

I used to work a lot with a record label out of Barbados, and all of their artists had rust issues. On everything, not just strings. You'd pick up a guy's Stratocaster and the whole thing would be coated with Vaseline. Their only recourse when it came to strings was to only buy the kind that come in sealed plastic, and change them constantly. I wish I had better news.

Couch Standards
Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM

Try a set of Martin Retro strings. They don't rust.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Try a set of Martin Retro strings. They don't rust.
Either Retros or any other monel strings.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Never heard of those strings.. but in my opinion, everything i've seen so far rusts. How are these different? I usually get max 3 gigs out of a set.. and then "ping" they start snapping like elastics.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys. Never heard of those strings.. but in my opinion, everything i've seen so far rusts. How are these different? I usually get max 3 gigs out of a set.. and then "ping" they start snapping like elastics.
Monel is an alloy made up mostly of nickel and copper. Very little iron. Even seen a rusty nickel?

We use monel on sailboats in a high-rust environment where stainless steel isn't sufficiently rust-resistant. For example, raw water strainers can be made of monel, because stainless seawater strainers only last a few months. If you use staples on boats, you should always use monel staples.

Nice thing about Martin Retro strings, they sound great, especially on mahogany guitars.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:08 PM

Or nickel strings, if not Monel. It won’t protect the cores or the plain strings, but it’ll make the wound strings last longer.

Or maybe the new Martin titanium strings.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion