The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G7th-nick View Post
Look forward to seeing you at NAMM! The G7th team will be there on the Davitt & Hanser stand :-)
And I look forward to meeting You too Nick, and Tommy Loose as well!
I have been working on my NAMM PLAN all this morning. I find that if I don't carefully lay out all of my plans on what to see, I get burned out quickly. So I download all the booth numbers-halls and figure out where to go.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
And I look forward to meeting You too Nick, and Tommy Loose as well!
I have been working on my NAMM PLAN all this morning. I find that if I don't carefully lay out all of my plans on what to see, I get burned out quickly. So I download all the booth numbers-halls and figure out where to go.
Tommy Loose was the really helpful customer support person I dealt with regarding my Heritage wide width capo. If you see him, tell him thanks for me.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-11-2020, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Tommy Loose was the really helpful customer support person I dealt with regarding my Heritage wide width capo. If you see him, tell him thanks for me.

Tony
I certainly will. That is exactly on of the decisions I have to make. He told me since I was coming I could test out and see for myself if the wide was better or not.
I have a 1 & 3/4 nut. What was your decision on the wide vs. standard?
Old 01-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I certainly will. That is exactly on of the decisions I have to make. He told me since I was coming I could test out and see for myself if the wide was better or not.
I have a 1 & 3/4 nut. What was your decision on the wide vs. standard?
I bought both (one of each) because I have a Huss & Dalton 00 12 fret that has a 1 7/8" nut and a Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition that has a 1 3/4" nut, as well as a couple of other smaller carbon fiber guitars that have 1 34/" nut. I figured it best to just get both and get it done all at once.

Also, I have a classical guitar with just under a 2" nut, but have not thought about using a capo on it. I will try the wide Heritage on it one of these days, since these capos adjust to the fretboard radius.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-11-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I bought both (one of each) because I have a Huss & Dalton 00 12 fret that has a 1 7/8" nut and a Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition that has a 1 3/4" nut, as well as a couple of other smaller carbon fiber guitars that have 1 34/" nut. I figured it best to just get both and get it done all at once.

Also, I have a classical guitar with just under a 2" nut, but have not thought about using a capo on it. I will try the wide Heritage on it one of these days, since these capos adjust to the fretboard radius.

Tony
I would be very interested in knowing if you feel there is any disadvantage to using the Wide on a 1 & 3/4? Have you tried the wide on your 1 & 3/4?
Old 01-11-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would be very interested in knowing if you feel there is any disadvantage to using the Wide on a 1 & 3/4? Have you tried the wide on your 1 & 3/4?
No, I haven't. However, I would suggest getting the normal width if the nut on your guitar is 1 3/4" or less. If you have both wide and normal guitars, I would suggest getting one of each. You will only need these two for all your guitars.

I can try the wide version on my Taylor and the also on my classical guitar and report back for you. You might want to contact G7th and find out if they might see any long term issues with using a wide capo on a normal width guitar (i.e. if there would be any possibility of harm to the capo).

Update:

I tried the wide capo on both my classical guitar and on my Taylor. On the classical guitar, I could just get the capo to the third fret. The neck is too thick and the fretboard too wide to go any farther. Up to the third fret, it worked fine. Remember that the classical guitar has a flat fretboard, so this speaks well of this capo.

On the Taylor, the wide capo worked, but I had to use noticeably more pressure than I do with the normal width capo. I don't like having to use more pressure because it isn't good for the capo or the fretboard. So I suggest getting the right capo for the job. I hope that helps.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 01-11-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Congrats on discovering the Heritage. I love yoke style capos and I use both the Heritage and the Elliott’s. Cleanest tone to my ears. Both brilliantly engineered, easy to use and light weight. Great that you got a good deal on it.

Best,
Jayne
Same here precisely. I have 2 Heritage and 2 Elliot Elite. Second of each bought used. Much better than I ever imagined when first released.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-11-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On the Taylor, the wide capo worked, but I had to use noticeably more pressure than I do with the normal width capo. I don't like having to use more pressure because it isn't good for the capo or the fretboard. So I suggest getting the right capo for the job. I hope that helps.

Tony
This is quite fascinating.
I wonder why more pressure is required?
I guess because the area is bigger on the wide? The pressure is distributed over a wider area thus it takes more pressure? Hmmm
They will have both at NAMM...so I will try both and see if I notice a pressure required difference. Problem is at NAMM it gets loud...so I might not be able to tell as easily. ha ha..
Great Info tbeltrans!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:07 AM

Well it arrived and while I'm not going to say it's a night and day difference, it is better. There's a bit more bass and resonance left in the tone than with my shubb, which is already a pretty decent capo. I can see me using it quite a bit more.

Beautifully made by the way. I'll never need to buy another capo. The fact it takes 5 seconds to get on and off rather than 2 is a moot point for me - I don't need to be able to add capo mid-verse.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-12-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

In all these comparisons to Shubb, are you all meaning the Shubb Fine Tune yoke style? Or the basic Shubb clamp style. Apples and oranges.

The Fine Tune is currently the best performing capo I own, with a very low profile to boot. I have a G7 performance that is heavy, clunky and hard to set properly. I also have a couple of standard Shubbs which fall in the middle, performance and aesthetic wise.

$0.02 provided.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is quite fascinating.
I wonder why more pressure is required?
I guess because the area is bigger on the wide? The pressure is distributed over a wider area thus it takes more pressure? Hmmm
They will have both at NAMM...so I will try both and see if I notice a pressure required difference. Problem is at NAMM it gets loud...so I might not be able to tell as easily. ha ha..
Great Info tbeltrans!
I just slowly tighten the capo until there are no more string buzzes or dull sounding strings. It took more pressure to achieve that on my Taylor than does the normal width capo. I doubt that you would be able to hear well enough to do that accurately in a noisy environment, but you can certainly try. Again, I would use the capo that is designed for the job as specified for each product on the G7th web site.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
In all these comparisons to Shubb, are you all meaning the Shubb Fine Tune yoke style? Or the basic Shubb clamp style. Apples and oranges.

The Fine Tune is currently the best performing capo I own, with a very low profile to boot. I have a G7 performance that is heavy, clunky and hard to set properly. I also have a couple of standard Shubbs which fall in the middle, performance and aesthetic wise.

$0.02 provided.
When I mentioned a Shubb capo, it was the C1 with the roller that I have. It cost less than $20.

The G7th Performance 3 that I have is not at all clunky, so I assume you are referring to the original G7th Performance which many mentioned having those attributes in posts when G7th first introduced a capo. Since then, there has been the release of the Performance 2 and then the Performance 3, neither of which should exhibit those particular issues.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I mentioned a Shubb capo, it was the C1 with the roller that I have. It cost less than $20.

The G7th Performance 3 that I have is not at all clunky, so I assume you are referring to the original G7th Performance which many mentioned having those attributes in posts when G7th first introduced a capo. Since then, there has been the release of the Performance 2 and then the Performance 3, neither of which should exhibit those particular issues.

Tony
We all like what we like for reasons we'll probably never fully understand. I liked the G7th Performance 2 well enough but tried two copies of the Performance 3 and couldn't get along with either. Could never find the right pressure to both eliminate buzzing and that didn't pull strings sharp. Just getting rid of buzzes was way too hard. I really WANTED to like it - otherwise I wouldn't have bought a second one thinking I just wasn't doing it right or I got a bad one. Lots of other folks seem to love it. But it was my least favorite G7th capo - the earlier Performance models and the Newport have worked fine for me...

For me, the original Shubb brass side-mount capo is the best side-mount capo I've ever used. All $16 worth. I find I can find the right micro adjustment that it's as buzz free and in tune as the G7th Heritage. But the G7th Heritage, once I find that sweet spot (which is incredibly easy to do) just sounds better - fuller, rounder notes, like no capo at all. It's close, the Shubb is a ridiculous value and my second favorite capo ever. But, in my experience, the G7th Heritage is in a league of it's own. I've never tried an Elliot, though, so I can't compare it to that.

But having a G7th Heritage and a couple of Shubbs laying around takes care of all the capo needs I should ever have until I start losing things, which fortunately isn't a problem in late middle age. It was when I was a kid and I guess it could be again at some future advance age, but for now, I'm good.

-Ray
Old 01-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I finally was able to get my G7 Performance 3 to not buzz, mostly. It took a tip that I needed to use two hands and clamp both sides of the capo firmly at the same time, very awkward while wearing thumbpick/fingerpicks but doable. Brought my success rate from zero to about 75%.

Thanks to all the love the Heritage is getting I'm returning the 3 and getting one.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Default LOVE at First Feel!

Quote:

Tony
On Thursday I met up with Tommy Loose at G7th NAMM booth. I had printed out your request to thank him, and read it to him. He said he was sincerely touched by your kind remarks!
I had never held a G7th heritage in my hands before. It was True love at first handling. It was so much lighter than I expected. There is just this precision feel & balance to the unit that transcends any doubts I might have previously had.
The only question left for myself was if the Wide would be better. One of the Guys said that both the wide and standard would work well on my 1 &3/4 inch nut. But I would have to take a little bit more time to properly align the wide than a Standard. That immediately answered the question as to which size would best suit my needs. I am lazy...the less time taken to adjust the better.
I immediately purchased a Beautiful Gold Heritage. Super classy. Matches my gold x-finish Gotoh tuners.
When I got home and tried it out on my own guitar I was even more thrilled. Perfect pitch and intonation right with just the lightest of tightening of the capo. No problems what so ever...even with my slightly heavier gauged strings that I use. a .135 for High E...and a .58 for Low E... the capo still adjusted with ease and the notes rung out true.
Thank you everyone on the forum to enlightening me on the Heritage Capo's. For all these years I have never been a capo man.
That all changes now thanks to the Heritage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion