The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-17-2019, 05:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week#10 Western Red Cedar and Bloodwood

Last but not least, Here is my 10th wood pairing I am offering upgrade credits on. This week is a very special Western Red Cedar set paired with a select Bloodwood back and side set.
This is what I consider the best Western Redwood Cedar soundboard set I have ever had or seen. It is a very low density, lightweight set but, is exceptionally hard and stiff both with and across the grain. The tap tones are numerous and the sustain is amazing. I just have never had a cedar set quite like this one:

It is also is a beauty. It is the reddest Red Cedar I've ever had and it carries a wonderful shine.
One reason I held off to last to offer this pair is because it took a bit to select the back species and then to find the particular set that I am comfortable calling "A Perfect Pairing" As the post title says, I chose a Bloodwood set:

I couldn't find a set I was satisfied with anywhere so I decided to get the best board I could find and re-saw it myself. So after an extended search and sorting through hundreds of boards I am matching the best set I could cut from the best board and am excited to offer this pairing:

Bloodwood is a very resonate and stiff wood. It is heavy, like ebony. I would look for the quick dynamic response from this cedar top combined with the sustain and overtones being enhanced by this Bloodwood set. I frankly see nothing about this pairing that would prevent this from becoming one of the best sounding guitars I've ever made. I am saying this about a pair of woods that don't carry the premium prices that would normally be associated with guitars in this performance league.

I would recommend my Greta grand auditorium as a great model to go with this pairing. I imaging this guitar done in a very clean contemporary look and voicing style.

You will find the details of the pricing on my parallel thread running on the Marketplace Forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=534575&page=2

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-17-2019 at 05:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop