The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-18-2016, 03:06 PM

Default NGD Blackbird Super OM

Well after much research reading everything I could on CF guitars, 2 visits to LA Guitar Sales and a lot of help from Ted at LA Guitar Sales I have landed a new Blackbird Super OM. I played almost everything CF in Ted's shop and played wood guitars along with to compare. I spoke with Joe from Blackbird about neck shapes and the design and how his vision came about. I wanted to be sure that it was not just a fad for me so I learned as much as I could about the product. When I first saw it on the web, I thought it was rather odd looking and wasn't interested and then when I saw it in the shop, and then played it, then it was over. But it took another trip to Ted's before I bought it. Ted says that almost all of the Super OM's he sells out of the shop, in person and not on the web. I guess seeing is believing? The final came down to the Rainsong Smokey and the Super OM. I really bonded with the Super OM, you know there are guitars that I really would like to love (my current Gibson SJ-200 Standard) but don't connect with. For some reason I really connected with the Super OM. The fit is awesome, projection is more than I expected, its very bass forward for a small body, the sustain is unbelievable and I am a happy guy. I play in church, coffeehouses and mostly am a strummer and accompany my vocals so I probably don't use it to the full extreme it could be used, but I am in love with this guitar. Don't get me wrong, the Smokey was a great guitar too and Ted represents that product well also, I just fell head over heels for the Super OM. Thanks to all of you that answered my questions, and most of all to Ted from LA Guitar sales that is the Guru of CF guitars and besides that an incredible nice guy. As soon as I get some good pictures and figure out how to use the photo insert I will up load to this post.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Guest 928

VC;

Good on You! I had one of the five Super OM nylon string guitars. The Super OM build is phenomenal.

I suspect that at the moment there is not a bad CF guitar made by any of the prominent builders; Rainsong, Emerald, Journey, C/A Peavey.

I hope your bond with the Blackbird remains strong. Congratulations!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 PM

Congratulations! The Blackbird Super OM was the first carbon fiber guitar I ever played, and I was instantly blown away. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to own one some day, too. Joe is one of our great modern luthiers.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 PM

Congrats on the new CF! Show some pics will you?😀
Old 03-18-2016, 08:31 PM

Congrats, sounds like you've found a great guitar. Enjoy.

2012 Taylor 814ce Spring Ltd. - Sitka Cocobola
2011 Taylor 314ce
1997 Takamine LTD Gecko - Koa
2014 Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 Wine Red
Old 03-19-2016, 03:29 AM

Man, I have a Lucky 13, but you make GAS for the super OM as well....

I asked Blackbird if they have plans for an OM in eKoa and they said that there aren't any plans for that yet.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-19-2016, 04:05 AM

Great report on your new love.
I look forward to the seeing.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Congrats on the new Blackbird! Just know that you have probably opened up a serious can of CF gas
Old 03-19-2016, 02:02 PM

Did you get to compare it to El Capitan?

If so, how did they fare? I still haven't heard much about El Capitan.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-19-2016, 05:32 PM

Default No El Capitan

The El Capitan was not available at Teds LAGS yet. I'm sure he has one on order though.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

VC..

Congrats! As research for my El Capitan purchase I went over to the Music Gallery in Highland Park Illinois to check out the super om and I was, lol, super impressed. The overall shape of the guitar was a little too modern for me. As far as the playability, I thought it was incredible... the tones were rich and projected well and as you pointed out, sufficient volume. The neck was really great and I really liked the beveled cut out on the back.

Please post some pics or some vids of you playing that would be awesome.

Congrats again.

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2016, 03:42 AM

Congrats and a great choice.... I had the opportunity to play one at Michael's shop a while back and love the the sound and the way the designed hugged my body. To quote someone else...."the guitar is a cannon" and has the great playability of a blackboard... true to Joe's design philosophy...designed with function...sound and playability first!!!
Enjoy!???
Old 05-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Congrats!! i have only had my Blackbird 13 for a week and can't believe what a great neck these guitars have. I was concerned as I needed to buy sight unseen but my worries were put aside once I played it.....Just a great guitar. Ted is as you say the guy to buy from, in my case I think he had the only Lucky 13 in the US as I searched everywhere.
I think the longer you have it the more it will be appreciated, and if you call Joe at Blackbird he returns your call quick. Enjoy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber