The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Playing a 12 String with Other Guitarists

I recently got a vintage 12 string, and like a number of others, have decided to keep it tuned down a full step. Do y'all think it's better to play with a capo at the second fret, or play using (e.g.) Key of D shapes when playing in C with other guitarists? I guess what i'm wondering, will the different chord voicings combined with the extra strings be too much for the 6 stringers? I'm generally a light player, so i don't think volume will be a problem.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgph View Post
I recently got a vintage 12 string, and like a number of others, have decided to keep it tuned down a full step. Do y'all think it's better to play with a capo at the second fret, or play using (e.g.) Key of D shapes when playing in C with other guitarists? I guess what i'm wondering, will the different chord voicings combined with the extra strings be too much for the 6 stringers? I'm generally a light player, so i don't think volume will be a problem.
Not quite sure why your voicings should be a problem for the others.
Of course 12-string is louder, so you would need to play lightly unless you want the 12-string to dominate.
It ought to sound better with you playing different shapes (ie no capo), so there's more variety of voicing - but then some of their easy keys will be tough for you (you want to play in F# when they're in E??).

Personally I'd always have a capo handy, and use it to make MY key easy (seeing as 12-string is (a) tougher and (b) arguably benefits more from open string voicings) but also to make many other alternative shapes/voicings possible. (Eg, if they're in C, put your capo on 7 and play G shapes.)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Default Playing a 12 String with Other Guitarists

I have had a capo on the 2nd fret of my Martin D12-18 simce 1978, it tames some of the jangliness that the 12 strings produces, and makes it blend in a little better with other players, but still gives you that rich full 12 string sound. The chord voicings are going to sound distinctively different from the other players just because its a 12 string. Thats just my personal preference
1987 Yamaha FG460S

My Band
http://thehenhouseroosters.weebly.com/
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your comments, guys.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

I agree about easy shapes if you're going to tune down. Unless you want the challenge of being so technically proficient that you can throw your capo away

You don't say if you play rhythm or lead with your 12. When I play mine I end up doing a little of both and I try to select voicings that show off the 12's unique tone. Since I'm a fan of adding 9s and other strange things, it's a natural step for me. The same is true for lead lines: let that ringy tone out of the box and set yourself apart with tone while you watch your volume.

6 strings? What a bunch of wimps

"I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people." -- Doc Watson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write