The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
... A gloss Cargo just sold for less than eight hundred bucks on eBay and gloss Legacy just sold for $1100.

I think the CA bubble burst shortly after the factory shut down and the fact that Peavey chose not to cover the pre-Peavey guitars doesn't help the reputation of the older guitars or that of Peavey.

Here is an original Composite Acoustics Cargo that sold on eBay in recent days for $X,XXX:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Another for $X,XXX:

And one for $X,XXX with 16 bids:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_650wt_922

Last edited by rlouie; 12-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Amen

Amen. I wouldn't say my CAs are the best sounding guitars I've ever played, but I would say they are the best sounding guitars ON STAGE and IN PERFORMANCE that I've ever played.

And the CA owners I know, and there are a lot of them, are positively rabid about them. They take sooooo much stress out of taking guitars on the road.

And that is the simple truth that I think that has been lost in this discussion. I have friends actively looking for them now.

I just found located a CA dealer with a few left in stock new:

GXi, Satin Blue finish, full size, with the offset soundhole. $XXXX
X, thin body, full size, with black satin finish & gig bag. $XXXX
GX Player, full size, black gloss finish. (Hard case I think) $XXXX
8MCE, full size deluxe glossy black with pearl rosette, LR Baggs I Beam pickup (hard case I think) $XXXX
Sorry, no Cargos.

If you're already one of my personal friends, check your email for details. I'll be glad to facilitate your purchase and shipment if need be. No charge. I'd just like to keep these in the ohana* if I can.

OpenD

*"ohana" is Hawai'ian for "extended family"

Last edited by rlouie; 12-16-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule, please read the rules
Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you are getting your info but CA's were never all that popular with professional musicians and they are certainly not bringing top dollar on the used market. I think the dealers that dumped their inventory were the smart ones. The dealers stuck with old stock and listing them at full price are not selling them. A gloss Cargo just sold for less than eight hundred bucks on eBay and gloss Legacy just sold for $1100.

I think the CA bubble burst shortly after the factory shut down and the fact that Peavey chose not to cover the pre-Peavey guitars doesn't help the reputation of the older guitars or that of Peavey.
Yeah, yeah, keep telling yourself that, since you don't seem to have good information. Those of us in the know really don't need any more competition scouring the hills for the remaining CAs.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezenof View Post
Here is an original Composite Acoustics Cargo that sold on eBay in recent days for $XXXX:

Another for $XXXX:

And one for $XXXX with 16 bids:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_650wt_922
Funny, isn't it, that the CA version of a backpacker guitar got to be an item that can sell off-market for double what it did when CA was still in business?

I'd call that a success story, wouldn't you?

Last edited by rlouie; 12-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Just around to reading this thread. OpenD...very good argument for the CA's. I bought a Cargo back in 2007 I believe and played it outside in the Austin Texas heat all summer and was never dissappointed. It did require medium strings in the heat for sure. I figured if that little beast sounded that good the big brother must be a monster. I ended up buying Jim Cannon's Tobacco Sunburst 7iM CE and have never looked back. It performs flawlessly on stage and is a joy to play and listen to acoustically. (Not to mention he had some great pictures of it)
I love and appreciate a lot of the beautiful wooden guitars being built today but for a gigging musician the consistency of the CA is hard to beat IMHO. Whatever Peavey does to theirs is of no consequence to me. It's a great technology that I'm glad someone is picking up the torch on. Good luck to them and if they do 1/2 the job CA did I think I'd be happy with their product.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:44 PM

I have to admit that I'm very curious to what Peavey does with the CA brand. However, as with many other people, it probably doesn't affect me much as I already have a Vintage Performer (Vintage Legacy), an Xi and a Cargo, not to mention a RainSong JM3000 12-string.

In other words, I kind of doubt I'll be buying any more CAs (never say never, though).
Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Default Oh no my Cargo SUCKS !!

Actually, it's really great. No problems at all, I have checked it though regular baggage with only the gig bag and it comes through without a whimper. Sounds good, plays great.

I am mulling selling mine because have a used Voyager Air on the way. The Voyager will be great for planes, but nothing can beat the Cargo for long, hot car rides when you want to eat your Big Mac inside and leave the guitar in the boiling hot car.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM

reason I sold my CA GX Performer and bought a Taylor 816CE. ONE NO truss rod. the action was too high and for me to lower the action without having string buzz on lower frets I needed to be able to add just a tad more releif. OR I could have gone medium gauge strings which DID add releif. Unfortunately even witht he lights it played stiff. My Taylor with mediums plays like butter and a dream compared to the GX I had w/lights and also just blows the GX away for tone and plugged in woith a band worked better. Not fighting feedback issues now like I did before. I will never buy a CA as long as there is no adjustment for neck relief or ANY guitar for that matter. I want to adjust for MY preference not ME adjust to guitar.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you are getting your info but CA's were never all that popular with professional musicians and they are certainly not bringing top dollar on the used market. I think the dealers that dumped their inventory were the smart ones. The dealers stuck with old stock and listing them at full price are not selling them. A gloss Cargo just sold for less than eight hundred bucks on eBay and gloss Legacy just sold for $1100.

Agreed. I'm not sure when they came to market, but I've never seen a CA on ANY session since I moved to Nashville in '03. (I'm no Brent Mason, but I've been around) Ironicaly I have seen a few Ovations...
With that said... I played one at Artisan when they used to carry the line and I was impressed. I liked the way the neck felt and the sound was unique in a good way. I just haven't seen them around town. I'll use whatever the session leader provides or asks for and it's just never been a CA

Last edited by ErikH; 12-14-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:26 PM

Plenty of artists playing CA's, at least as many who play Rainsongs anyhow....obviously they never are gonna reach all star status in a town where Martin, Gibson and Fender rule the day. (I live in the Nashville area too)

http://compositeacoustics.blogspot.com/
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Kind of reminds me of the disagreement between two men, one noting a brand of shoes he loves that only comes in one size, which happens to be his size, is just fine the way it is..the other...who wears a different size...noting they could do with some changes.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Well, for those of you who believe there has never been anything needing correcting on CA guitars, you are in luck. Peavey is improving that which never needed improvement.
For those who felt there were some issues that could be corrected to improve the product, you are in luck. Some changes are on the horizon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Kind of reminds me of the disagreement between two men, one noting a brand of shoes he loves that only comes in one size, which happens to be his size, is just fine the way it is..the other...who wears a different size...noting they could do with some changes.

...yeah.

It's really all pretty funny, if you ask me.

I''m waiting for the graphic of the person with their fingers plugging their ears, walking around going "la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la".....
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

i wouldn't say it's a version of the backpacker. it's got to be at least 4x as wide and twice as deep. it's more a version of the baby taylor/little martin, but oh, it sounds sooooo much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Funny, isn't it, that the CA version of a backpacker guitar got to be an item that can sell off-market for double what it did when CA was still in business?

I'd call that a success story, wouldn't you?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

GXi, Satin Blue finish, full size, with the offset soundhole. $1,799
X, thin body, full size, with black satin finish & gig bag. $1,799
GX Player, full size, black gloss finish. (Hard case I think) $2295
8MCE, full size deluxe glossy black with pearl rosette, LR Baggs I Beam pickup (hard case I think) $2,695
Sorry, no Cargos.
Does the no pricing rule apply for discontinued items? I think it would being that alot of dealers probably have stock. Mods?

Last edited by ErikH; 12-14-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 AM

I own a CA Ox RAW model, no electronics, purchased it from Tarpman as a used guitar. There are a lot of good points in these posts so I thought I would add some as well. Having owned this guitar for a few months now I still like the way it sounds, trebles are little subdued, bass is huge, Martin like, midrange is ok. Guitar really excels as a finger style guitar, more so than a strummer. Action seems to be on medium side, that is ok with me, but I will note that it is a stiff playing instrument, a lot of this comes from the way it was constructed/molded as a one piece instrument, CA could have done much better job with fretwork (something a good tech can take care of). I have switched to custom lights and seems that fixed most of the stiffness issues I was having. It stays in tune and it can handle open tunings without major issues, I usually go from EADGBE to DADGAD to CGCGCE and no issues with the neck relief changing etc. Overall it is a good instrument but it isn't what I am after and what I expected from the instrument in its price range. Hope Peavey will improve the product line and have a much better QA department, time will tell the tale.

Last edited by swsman; 12-15-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber