The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Default My first bone saddle

I've been enjoying my Yamaha AC1R for a couple months. My first ever new guitar after decades with a 1970s Yamaha FG-200 with a big belly bulge, too-high action, and sour intonation. Had a good local luthier do a setup with nut and saddle work and some additional work on too-wide frets, loose wire inside, etc.

Today I put in a bone saddle with pretty much the same shape as the factory one and very slightly higher overall. Intonation is a little bit off. That can be addressed. But the difference in sound, volume, crispness, sustain - wow! It's like I have a new new guitar. Reminds me of years ago when I installed a CD player into my sound system and played CDs instead of LPs. It was as if I had removed a mattress from in front of the speakers!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:51 PM

What great results for a new saddle. Perhaps the original saddle was never seated properly in the slot or just wasn't cut properly. Regardless, it sounds like you have a 'new' guitar.

Did you also get new strings put on? Same brand/gauge as you always have? That can also make a difference.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Great analogy with the LP/CD comparison. Don’t be afraid to shave it down with some sandpaper on a flat surface to adjust your height. A little goes a long way.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

OP here. The original plastic saddle was a bit loose in its slot - I could rock it fore and aft. That can't be good. The bone is a snug fit. I did not change the strings - the D'addarios the luthier put on (EJ16?) remain. I may sand the bone down a bit and maybe try to tweak it for intonation. Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
OP here. The original plastic saddle was a bit loose in its slot - I could rock it fore and aft. That can't be good. The bone is a snug fit. I did not change the strings - the D'addarios the luthier put on (EJ16?) remain. I may sand the bone down a bit and maybe try to tweak it for intonation. Thanks for your responses.
Thanks for the follow-up. It's probable that your issue was the original saddle loose in the slot. Good luck with the intonation with the new bone nut. Have you done that before? It isn't easy.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I have worked on my two 1970s FG-200s to improve them short of a neck reset, including new short saddles and bridge doctors, but have done little at the saddle re: intonation. I may leave this new bone saddle on my AC1R as is because the intonation problems are only there if I look for them.

I could examine the original saddle and this new bone one closely and try to replicate the original's contours. If I screw it up, I can get another of the same bone saddles fairly easily and cheaply. For now, I'll play it and enjoy it as I get to know it better. Thanks for your responses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion