The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2020, 10:58 AM

There is also a ceo-7 which could interest me because of the 2 5/16 string spacing. But I fear it would be too small to strum properly up tempo folk rock songs and that it may ressemble my 000-15sm in sound too much, being an hog b/s.

Can't try that one either.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharma44 View Post
…I played them all. Never all at once though. I would be happy with any I guess. But on look alone the OM-28 is my favorite one...
Any inputs? (i know.. I should choose the one I prefer...but that isn't easy)
Hi k

If you are trying to complement the look then it sounds like the OM-28 is a good choice.

I'm still trying to understand the 'complement' in your title. Do you want a voice which is similar to - but not identical to - your existing guitar? Or do you want something which will complement the other guitar when they are played together?

Or are you looking for a decent sounding guitar to sometimes sub for your main guitar, and still sound good when playing the same songs?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-03-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi k

If you are trying to complement the look then it sounds like the OM-28 is a good choice.

I'm still trying to understand the 'complement' in your title. Do you want a voice which is similar to - but not identical to - your existing guitar? Or do you want something which will complement the other guitar when they are played together?

Or are you looking for a decent sounding guitar to sometimes sub for your main guitar, and still sound good when playing the same songs?
I want a different sounding one. The OOO-15sm has a certain niche sound that I like but the treble note are somewhat muted and in the melodies you play fingerstyle the lower three strings are accentuated by default. But that's fine. Even strumming it can be fine but sometimes a bit "muddy"

I want the new guitar to contrast with that. Be better for strumming but still fingerpick well since this is what I play the most when not singing a song. I mean, I like to strum with a pick too, but if I just mess around on the guitar, fingerpicking or strumming pickless is my go to habit.

Also, I always wanted a rosewood backed guitar thus the om-21 ou Boucher sg-51.

I love the sound of a D-28 but I find it a bit too big to play seated for a while so I fear it would bug me. And that sound I like comes with medium strings and that is not what I prefer for fingerpicking.

I guess that new guitar would be used preferably for certain songs whereas the actual 000 for others.

Maybe I simply overthink it. But 3K on a guitar is a considerable amount so I want to be sure.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM

I have a 00015sm. I also have an Eastman E2om-cd (cedar top) which pairs very well with the Martin. Lots of high-end zing like you describe. This is a sub-$500 guitar. Depending on your budget you could look at some other Eastman OMs. Just throwing it out there. Good luck in your hunt and enjoy the search.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:39 PM

If you’re accustomed to short scale, you may find that a longer scale guitar is harder on your picking fingers. That’s what i experience when I’ve been finger picking my Larrivee SD-40 (12 fret but 25.5” scale) for a while. You might want to give a standard scale guitar a good, long test to see if you find the same thing.

2018 Santa Cruz 1929-00
2019 Larrivee SD-40
2019 Martin 000-28
Old 01-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecox View Post
If you’re accustomed to short scale, you may find that a longer scale guitar is harder on your picking fingers. ....
Even though OP's Martin model starts with 000, the -15SM model has the 25.4" (longer) scale.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Even though OP's Martin model starts with 000, the -15SM model has the 25.4" (longer) scale.
So do the OOO-15M and the OO-15M. They're effectively OM's. Names don't seem to mean much...
Old 01-03-2020, 03:13 PM

My 000-15sm complements my Taylor 324 perfectly. The 324 gives me the bass tone that I crave without being too loud. It's very comfortable to play and is a great strummer and fingerpicker. Both have hog tops but sound very different.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Oops. As Gilda Radner used to say on SNL, “Never mind.”

2018 Santa Cruz 1929-00
2019 Larrivee SD-40
2019 Martin 000-28
Old 01-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Just to add: I do have the 000-15m and OM-21, and although both 14 fret to the body standard 25.4” scale - very striking contrast between the two, and contrast is what you’re interested in.

Although I’ve criticized my OM-21 earlier, I want to qualify it needs a fine tuning on the set up since it was last done shortly after purchase about one year ago. With a fine tweaking it is a high performance experience - right now action at the 12 fret is a little high, but it’s tone is at the opposite extreme of “plinky” - it’s extremely clear, excellent bass, no woof at all - extremely resonant and open. It might be what you’re looking for after all.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Just to add: I do have the 000-15m and OM-21, and although both 14 fret to the body standard 25.4” scale - very striking contrast between the two, and contrast is what you’re interested in.

Although I’ve criticized my OM-21 earlier, I want to qualify it needs a fine tuning on the set up since it was last done shortly after purchase about one year ago. With a fine tweaking it is a high performance experience - right now action at the 12 fret is a little high, but it’s tone is at the opposite extreme of “plinky” - it’s extremely clear, excellent bass, no woof at all - extremely resonant and open. It might be what you’re looking for after all.
The om-21 is currently ahead in my mind.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharma44 View Post
I want a different sounding one. The OOO-15sm has a certain niche sound that I like but the treble note are somewhat muted and in the melodies you play fingerstyle the lower three strings are accentuated by default. But that's fine. Even strumming it can be fine but sometimes a bit "muddy"

I want the new guitar to contrast with that. Be better for strumming but still fingerpick well since this is what I play the most when not singing a song. I mean, I like to strum with a pick too, but if I just mess around on the guitar, fingerpicking or strumming pickless is my go to habit.

Also, I always wanted a rosewood backed guitar thus the om-21 ou Boucher sg-51.

I love the sound of a D-28 but I find it a bit too big to play seated for a while so I fear it would bug me. And that sound I like comes with medium strings and that is not what I prefer for fingerpicking.

I guess that new guitar would be used preferably for certain songs whereas the actual 000 for others.

Maybe I simply overthink it. But 3K on a guitar is a considerable amount so I want to be sure.
Everything you've written here except "rosewood" makes me think of a Gibson J-185. They're good for strumming or fingerpicking, have a clear but sweet sound, and are far more comfortable to hold than a Martin dread shape (at least for me - YMMV). They're maple, though. If it's possible to audition one, I heartily recommend at least giving it a try.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Everything you've written here except "rosewood" makes me think of a Gibson J-185. They're good for strumming or fingerpicking, have a clear but sweet sound, and are far more comfortable to hold than a Martin dread shape (at least for me - YMMV). They're maple, though. If it's possible to audition one, I heartily recommend at least giving it a try.
Well, thanks for the idea. I've yet to find a store having it in stock at driving distance. Even in Ontario...

Even hard to find one online in Canada.

J-200 yeah, but not the J-185.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 PM

So, I finally bought a new 2018 J-45 standard.

I figured it was a nice compromise between a long scale dread and a Martin Om. Not too loud and not too bright either. Good for both fingerstyle and strumming.

Paid $2699 CAD (2034$ US) + 5% tx

I got it 2 days ago. The new string zing is still there so I've yet to experience the real tone you have once the strings are worn in.

So far my impression is that it is really responsive to light (and loud) fingerstyle - moreso than the straight braced 000-15sm. Obvioulsy brighter too - but still new strings so hard to tell exactly yet. It is also not louder than the 000-15sm, if anything it is quiter with regular strumming but can possibly sound louder if played harder. Certainly a different sound than the Martin. The strong note separation and shorth decay are some of the main differences, along with a stronger fondamental with less overtones.

I'll really form an opinion after the next few days/weeks, but so far I am happy as it is quite different and that's what I wanted.

Last edited by kharma44; 02-13-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:22 PM

Congratulations on the new guitar. I think the two you've got now will complement each other nicely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion