The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-15-2019, 02:57 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Gorgeous guitar. I can see why it caught your eye. My guess is you stay at this long enough you are bound to get stuck by someone. But I would think after the restore, you will really enjoy this one!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

If I did not read the back story, just looked at the guitar as is, I would simply say it is a real beauty! I love the color of the top, and how it appears to be wonderfully aged...perfectly imperfect, if you know what I mean. I'm sure it will, under your hands, make some amazing music. Enjoy!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:11 AM

Since you are the one who had to spend the money on the restoration it is easy for me to say that this guitar sure looks worth doing. That BRW is very special as is the top. The silking is amazing.

Where the top was cracked and cleated, the finish must have cracked, did you have that repaired as well or is the crack still visible?

Tom
Old 03-15-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Since you are the one who had to spend the money on the restoration it is easy for me to say that this guitar sure looks worth doing. That BRW is very special as is the top. The silking is amazing.

Where the top was cracked and cleated, the finish must have cracked, did you have that repaired as well or is the crack still visible?

Tom
Yeah, the cracking finish was the giveaway. I actually don’t know if Lewis repaired it or not.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
It is unfortunate that you had to go through all that grief for this guitar but hopefully it will give you years of playing joy.

This guitsr looks like one i saw on sale a few years ago on luthiers collection website.

I dont usually like sunburst finishes but this one looks very nice. Very nice brazilian rosewood also.
I remember when it was on LC, too! I drooled over it then. When it appeared on Reverb, I got pretty excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
Juston, I bet Lewis did an awesome job on this one! Hope for the best result~
Lewis is a genius. He did a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Sorry to hear about the excessive drama. That's definitely no fun.

I remember seeing that guitar on Reverb and was smitten by that 'burst. I'm hopeful that there will be a happy ending with this axe. Nick Kukich is definitely on my short list of builders!
It’s definitely a lot different from my other (mostly OM-size) guitars. Huge bass, scooped mids, nice trebles. I sounds amazing in open C.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
That's a horror story, but a gorgeous guitar. Really, I think that is the most beautiful burst I've ever seen. I hope the guitar treats you as well as you have treated it!
I think we'll get along quite well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I remember seeing this one at Luthiers Collection years ago. Sorry for such a frustrating purchase. Glad it turned out good in the end.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I’m very happy to see this guitar resurrected! I chose it for Fretboard Journal as one of my faves of the Healdsburg festival. A wonderful guitar.
Wait, this guitar has fingerprints from JT on it??? Argh!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Gorgeous guitar. I can see why it caught your eye. My guess is you stay at this long enough you are bound to get stuck by someone. But I would think after the restore, you will really enjoy this one!
Yeah, it's alright. As long as it remains stable, it should be a great guitar. I thought about having it re-fret because I don't like the low frets, but I wasn't ready to invest that much in the guitar at the time. If I know it's going to stay with me, I'll get some taller EVO gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
If I did not read the back story, just looked at the guitar as is, I would simply say it is a real beauty! I love the color of the top, and how it appears to be wonderfully aged...perfectly imperfect, if you know what I mean. I'm sure it will, under your hands, make some amazing music. Enjoy!
Yeah, the color is really phenomenal. The dark Brazilian looks gorgeous with the top. The Brazilian also give the voice a little extra shimmer.

Last edited by justonwo; 03-16-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Wait, this guitar has fingerprints from JT on it??? Argh!
Probably goes a long way toward explaining the guitar’s sordid history.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Hi Justin, play it and enjoy, you earned it... gorgeous
Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Wow, brutal experience Juston. It seems like the story has a happy ending, but I'm sorry you had to go through that. That Brazilian is pretty great. Looks like old (reclaimed) stuff, no?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop