The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-28-2020, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Default NEGDOH, Fender American Original 70's

(new electric guitar day on hold)

so I like my PRS CE24 immensely-everything about it. this electric stuff is annoyingly addictive and I think probably worse than acoustic addiction-really.

so I've been looking around for "just one more" with a little different tone character, so I get exposed to mult brands and such, you know what I mean, no way should you limit yourself and such.
always had an eye for a thinline tele. I just like the F hole cutout, and the idea of a "kinda semi-hollow" tone addition. been looking around at a lot of the fenders with this characteristic, but I haven't been drawn into the tone of any other than the JA P90.
I also like light weight-like to keep an electric around 7lbs or under. Most of the slimline tele's, even the more expensive models, were into the 8lb range.

just about pulled the plug on a demo JA P90 in the red, 6lb 10oz, until I found this.

I was caught by the color in an ad listing, pulled it up and took a listen and immediately said, "yes, that's what I like to hear" (yes, I like the humbucker tone). So I checked at SW and found the Mocha and one was 7lb 6oz. Its on hold till next week when my contact there comes back to work. Got a nice deal on it as well. There's a really sweet looking 3 color burst in the same model, and same weight. and I looked at the vintage blonde for a long long while also-I like that one a lot. But, this mocha caught my eye right off and I kept coming back to it. Here's the video, some interesting stuff in this model. When the pedals are used it seemed a little off to my ears, almost like the guy had the tone dialed back a lot. I thought it sounded sweet with a bottleneck and i'll use it with one also. I like the deep tone these pickups have. Looking to pick up one of the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverbs later on also. I think this will work well with that.
I like the specs on this a lot. The neck profile shape, the FB radius, locking tuners, appears to have some neat pickups, all the bells and whistles one could hope for I think.

what do you think of the color?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQjbXXMw5ZU&t=327s

Last edited by darylcrisp; 02-28-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:47 PM

Looks great - really like the specs on it, too. Probably with the recent reincarnation of the original wide range humbucker in the neck position - what you describe as dark I don’t hear it - rather deep with ‘sparkle’ through the amp - complex tone. What I describe as ‘dark’ is akin to cardboard, flat, but this will be sure to be 3D. Without any exaggeration, this is very interesting to me, personally, to add to my collection. Great stuff!
Old 02-28-2020, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Looks great - really like the specs on it, too. Probably with the recent reincarnation of the original wide range humbucker in the neck position - what you describe as dark I don’t hear it - rather deep with ‘sparkle’ through the amp - complex tone. What I describe as ‘dark’ is akin to cardboard, flat, but this will be sure to be 3D. Without any exaggeration, this is very interesting to me, personally, to add to my collection. Great stuff!
I edited and changed dark to deep, totally agree, that's the better word and meaning. thick, rich, deep. yep
d
Old 02-29-2020, 05:04 PM

Congrats Daryl! A unique looking Tele with the 4 knobs and it comes with the ashtray cover too. When do you get it?
Old 02-29-2020, 06:15 PM

Congrats Daryl!

That’s a nice tele. Looks like it’s very versatile with the humbucker and 4 controls along with the traditional Tele bridge. I bet you can really dial up some sounds in the middle position.

I really love what Fender has done with the American Original series. The 60s tele is LPB is probably my non vintage dream tele.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:54 PM

I'm so glad they don't make that guitar and those colors in a Lefty. I'm afraid I'd have to go without heat, water, and gas. Still....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars