The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-28-2020, 04:55 PM

Default NAD .... Roland

I decided to go with a Roland Blues Cube Hot after having problems with a new Super Champ. I was considering a Yamaha THR30II but they aren't available for a while. It was hard to stay away from a Supro but 2 features on the Roland won out.... USB direct to the computer and a 1/4" headphone jack.!! I love both features.

I got the Blues Cube in and it is gorgeous to look at. Real nice vibe. I chose a clean tone to start and didn't touch a knob for 20 minutes. Sounded fantastic.!! Started to mess with the knobs and I'm amazed.

Another feature is the power selection knob. It's a 30watt amp that has settings at 15watts, 5watts or 0.5watts. And it works great. I've settled on the 5watt setting. 12" speaker can really push the sound level. It can be loud with clean headroom and spank. It can growl, too. Awesome. Lots of growl in this thing. I'll have to tame that from time to time. Meaning, coming from an acoustic background. Acoustic music doesn't always translate to electric, very well. But, I love the challenge of that. The Gretsch 5420 is a great tool for that. The Gretsch is going to sound far out through this new amplifier. That comes tonight. yes.!!

The one word that comes to mind is Dynamics.!! The amp feeds the player. It's musical and inspiring. I'm excited to get going. I'm itching to play like, right now. Can't stand it....

It's the real deal and I'm loving it.... I'll report back in these coming days.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:39 PM

Roland has done a great job with their cube amps. My buddy has one and he takes it with him when he goes overnight at the parents or in-laws houses. Portable, great tone, and options.

Have fun with your Blues Cube!
Old 02-28-2020, 06:52 PM

I just finished reading some reviews on your new amp and couldn’t find a single negative for what it does - voiced close to a Fender tweed, not blackface - described as a transistor version of the Blues Junior - you should be set with it for a long while - the choices and quality tone to be had nowadays without going tube is amazing - with simple controls, to boot. Congrats
Old 02-28-2020, 09:12 PM

Thanks to you both.^^^^^^^^

I thought I would miss the onboard effects. I don't. I love what this amp is doing to my playing. Its adding 'culture' to my right hand. The pick hand. I played an original and the homeowner says.... "I never heard that one before."

That's where it's at from hear. hee. First hour and a half. Oh boy. Its going to be a beautiful climb.!!.....

Jaden ..... You bring up an interesting point about this Roland emulating the Blues Jr., sometimes advertised as a copy to the tweed amps. THAT sparked an interest because when I had the Super Champ I loved the first 2 voicings..... Tweed Clean and Tweed Dirty, I do believe. And that's exactly what it sounds like I got. It is an impressive tone. I am literally thrilled to have this amplifier. Gorgeous in every way.

Dru .... I lived in Maine my first 50 years. NS is special. Beautiful landscapes. And a beautiful ocean. Sweet.

Last edited by 3notes; 02-28-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:46 AM

I have 2 Roland amps and they work great for me. The one is dedicated to my mountain dulcimer, the other for my acoustic guitar. I've heard wonderful things about the cubes, congrats. Hoping it's exactly what you were looking for. Enjoy.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 02-29-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:37 AM

Congratulations on your new Blues Cube Hot amp. Seems like a very solid choice and sounds good to my ears from the youtube demos I've heard.

Enjoy playing it!
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-29-2020, 07:27 AM

My first amp was and still is a Roland Microcube. (Great little amp).
Old 02-29-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
My first amp was and still is a Roland Microcube. (Great little amp).
I have to agree...what an amazing little amp. I primarily use only the "black panel" and "brit combo" with J C clean for jazz tunes. Given the size it can really get loud...and with nice tone, which is why I use the headphone jack most of the time. Tones really ring true without disturbing the wife and I can run my backing tracks thru the aux jack to practice lead runs. AC power with batteries ...in about what, 7 lbs??? I do have a 15 what tube amp which collects lots of dust...just in case.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Thanks to you both.^^^^^^^^

I thought I would miss the onboard effects. I don't. I love what this amp is doing to my playing. Its adding 'culture' to my right hand. The pick hand. I played an original and the homeowner says.... "I never heard that one before."

That's where it's at from hear. hee. First hour and a half. Oh boy. Its going to be a beautiful climb.!!.....

Jaden ..... You bring up an interesting point about this Roland emulating the Blues Jr., sometimes advertised as a copy to the tweed amps. THAT sparked an interest because when I had the Super Champ I loved the first 2 voicings..... Tweed Clean and Tweed Dirty, I do believe. And that's exactly what it sounds like I got. It is an impressive tone. I am literally thrilled to have this amplifier. Gorgeous in every way.

Dru .... I lived in Maine my first 50 years. NS is special. Beautiful landscapes. And a beautiful ocean. Sweet.
Yep, something special about NS ... in the summer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars