The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 05:30 AM

Chicken little syndrome fostered by the news media.
More people died yesterday in the US from the flu than all of the people that have been infected in the US since the “outbreak”

SARS was going to kill us all
Ebola was going to kill us all

The list goes on
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 03-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

It’s difficult to draw conclusions about things we can’t predict. The news loves to obsess about, and the public is drawn to watch, a good “train wreck”. But then again, we have no idea what could happen if we don’t prepare. Here is a great book that illustrates a past experience for those who are interested.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Chicken little syndrome fostered by the news media.
More people died yesterday in the US from the flu than all of the people that have been infected in the US since the “outbreak”

SARS was going to kill us all
Ebola was going to kill us all

The list goes on
It would be more fair to say crappy news sources. I realize I like some publications that are not what most people read, but very middle of the road stuff I consume has done a good job.

I purposely go through the Apple News+ and Microsoft news apps because they aggregate so much. I also catch people have TVs and radio on listening to pundits. Then there's the crap that gets linked in social media. I can only be critical of the latter two.

Reading history and history podcasts have been very enjoyable and from that I also believe it's very good to have concerns and learning we've done when a disease emerges.

We should also have readiness in the context of some of the history I've enjoyed taking in. That leads to why I said the project post-mortem and history will be a great read.

To be fair, I might also take it differently because I tend to force optimism and courage on myself or at least work at managing fear when I see others around me tend to freak.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Folks, let's get away from the news media. Anytime these conversations get started, the thread goes in the ditch. So stop.

The coronavirus is undeniably a real health issue for a lot of people across the world. React to it in whatever way you want, but leave your personal opinions of the media out of this conversation.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Lysol kills coronavirus as well as a bunch of other nasty bugs. I've ramped up my handwashing and I'm being more diligent about wiping everything down especially after using the gas pump and ATM and shopping cart.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:02 PM

Possible case in Rhode Island... might be coming to the Northeast now.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-02-2020, 07:12 PM

I had 3 flights yesterday from the East coast to the West coast. The girl sitting next to me in business class had her wipes and wiped everything down on the cross country leg. Smart thing to do on a plane, even without COVID-19.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:33 PM

I've read the cases in Hong Kong are not at all as "hysterical" as the media is portraying all over the place. I find this quite interesting, considering the proximity to the mainland.

I personally feel no sense of gloom and doom. But I monitor the situation, thru multiple channels and outlets.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-02-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Political references not permitted
Old 03-02-2020, 10:16 PM

I’m just going to wish everyone here good health and hope that the bug weakens as it spreads. The world needs all the crazy guitar players it can hold!
Old 03-02-2020, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

My wife works in the medical devices arena. A lot of medical pros are expecting the worst from this one. However, just today she told me that more and more people are being diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus, and this is good news because it the fatalities are not increasing in line with the newly diagnosed cases. The majority of these cases are people that thought they had a common cold and did not have serious side effects. This means that the mortality rate will drop, and some in her field think that instead of a 2+% mortality rate we will see a rate less than one percent, in line with the current flu mortality rate. Still something to be concerned about, but not necessarily the apocalypse.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic