The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-28-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcat
"Now you're messin' with a Son of a B****" - Nazareth

Is that the real title? You know the one. Gotta save it for the last song of the last drunken set, cause the vocal chords take a real beating.

'Cat
I think the real title is "Hair of the Dog". I love this lick in the Geicko commercial where the lizard is driving the convertible!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I know this is an old thread but I'm a newby and couldn't resist when I saw this. I was playing a Navy club circuit in the southeast at a low key Chiefs Club. We were hackin' along thru some Conway Twitty tune or something and I was bored and maybe I had a few Crowns when all of a sudden I cracked into the intro to Crazy Train ! Me and the bass player were rollin' laughin' but it didn't go over too well, especially with our manager ...Oh well it was worth it
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Creep by radiohead brings the houedown, for us.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM

I haven't gigged for a long time, but the single weirdest and most impressive thing I ever saw was a room full of 60+ people at a Legion gig who got up and danced en mass to a Hank Williams Sr. medley. White heads swirling like the breeze for 10 or 15 minutes straight.

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Here's a live performance on stage.
I do the song fairly well because I've been playing it so darn long (since 1979) so I have it memorized.
This one went over well this night. It was a packed house and half were watching me play and half were playing pool and drinking/socializing,
not caring what was on stage. Made for a noisy bar that I'm sure was over capacity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQcVg1ht3wU

Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 PM

Nice job covering neil Young. Excellent vocals and guitar, and a great video and camera work. Way to go!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 PM

I spent a very long time learning some of Trace Bundy's songs. It's the best way to find all of the guitar players in the house; they all move to the front of the room to look at my hands. It's also just really impressive to non guitarists because most people don't slap their guitars to produce harmonics.
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEz5-xTJMU

Here is mine. This is a Brantley Gilbert song sung by two Georgia boys sitting in the living room. I love the singers voice and the backup vocals were dead on.

Check it out.

Im sorry I didnt read the thread all the way. I thought it was about others doing covers...this is NOT me...this is two guys on youtube.

Curtis

1943 Banner Gibson J-45
1936 Gibson Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-30 Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-35
Fairbanks F-20 Nick Lucas
Kevin Kopp K-35
Martin D-18 Golden Era
VoyageAir VAD-2
Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 PM

I once played in a 5 piece band that was blessed with 5 really capable harmony/lead singers. We liked to close with our acoustic cover of Seven Bridges Road by the Eagles. It was wildly popular at the time.

We got bored with it after a while and worked up an acoustic 4 part harmony cover for the Theme to Gilligan's Island as a replacement... it did not have the same effect
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

If the venue is, ahem.....appropriate, I will close a late night set with the tune "Bartender" by Rehab. Unedited. Definitely brings down the house. Most people ask how I even know the tune.........................................
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Ok I replied a few posts up with one of my not so good moments, although funny at the time so here is some bright moments...The crowd always dug my acoustic version of Bob Seger's "Turn The Page" which I had to riff the sax part, not the dynamics of the original but the folks seemed to like it. Secondly the crowd always liked "Sweet Melissa" by the Allman Bros.; (remember I'm in the southeast stompin' grounds). But lastly what brought the house down was when me and my partner cracked on "Grey Ghost" by the Henry Paul Band"; I know thats electric but we had those dual leads down along with the harmony vocals. We woodshed alot to get it that way. Folks just jammed with us on it so it was always a proud moment. Playin' in the south we would play clubs that a lot of the southern rock stars, (VanZants, Molly Hatchet, Rossington Collins...) would frequent when not touring. Well me and the boys were hammerin' out a little "Hold On Loosely" and Larry Junstrum (.38's bass player) was in the crowd and he came up and gave us "good job"; so that was a proud moment too...lots of stories, I guess I'm showin' my age, sorry if I got carried away livin' in the past ya'll, don't mean to bore you all...great thread, props to Raging Potato (love that moniker dude)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM

I've been doing John Prine covers since his first album came out and have been told by couple hard core JP fans that my version of Hello In There is as good as anybody's. But my MOST memorable song lasted all of two lines...
In the early 80's four long hair guys drifted in while I was playing my Friday night gig at the old Sunset Folk Club in Hamilton. After the crowd left around 10, they hung around and said they were in a band that was playing a weekend gig at the Elbow Beach Hotel and another one at the Naval Base for the USO. After the crowd left, we had an unplugged solo jam going. Very nice bunch , knew lots of early American Rock and R&B stuff. I called my girlfriend and asked her to drive to the club to join us and meet/listen to these guys. When my guitar came round to me again (and mind you, I didn' t have a radio in my car so I had no idea of what was on the air at the time) I had recently heard a brand new song and had caught only the first line. So I played all I knew of it: "When I was a younger man and hadn't a care.... and said that's all I know... " And they all looked at me - including my girlfriend - like I was an idiot.... Peter (whom I later found out was Peter Haycock) took my guitar back and the Climax Blues Band sang it for us - unplugged - better than I'd heard it on the radio, DUH...

Mark Lee
'84 Martin Custom OM-28
'00 Martin D-18
09 Gibson J-45TV
67 Gibson B-25 12 string
65 Fender Villager 12 string
79 Washburn D-64
and a whole wall's worth of odd and ugly beaters that caught my eye
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 AM

Vincent Black Lightning 1952 is always a crowd pleaser....also Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner (Zevon)

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
I've been doing John Prine covers since his first album came out and have been told by couple hard core JP fans that my version of Hello In There is as good as anybody's. But my MOST memorable song lasted all of two lines...
In the early 80's four long hair guys drifted in while I was playing my Friday night gig at the old Sunset Folk Club in Hamilton. After the crowd left around 10, they hung around and said they were in a band that was playing a weekend gig at the Elbow Beach Hotel and another one at the Naval Base for the USO. After the crowd left, we had an unplugged solo jam going. Very nice bunch , knew lots of early American Rock and R&B stuff. I called my girlfriend and asked her to drive to the club to join us and meet/listen to these guys. When my guitar came round to me again (and mind you, I didn' t have a radio in my car so I had no idea of what was on the air at the time) I had recently heard a brand new song and had caught only the first line. So I played all I knew of it: "When I was a younger man and hadn't a care.... and said that's all I know... " And they all looked at me - including my girlfriend - like I was an idiot.... Peter (whom I later found out was Peter Haycock) took my guitar back and the Climax Blues Band sang it for us - unplugged - better than I'd heard it on the radio, DUH...
THAT'S a great story!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 PM

This is a great topic. I have heard a lot of songs I never would have thought of doing.I have had the printer busy printing out new songs to learn.

I have not done this song in a while but here in the south Sweet Home Alabama.You wont finish the first 4 notes and you will know the crowds digging it.

Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell