The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 AM

Default Archtop tailpiece snapped

My Eastman acoustic archtop tuning was flat across the strings so I started to tune it up (it had been on its stand but I hadn't played it in over a week due to other things). Anyway, it seemed weird that everything was flat since lately in our more humid weather things tend to pull sharp on my instruments. All of a sudden the tailpiece snapped. Do you think the bridge got bumped and that caused the problem? Meaning that even though the tuner was showing it tuned to pitch it was actually much sharper? I checked the tuner on another instrument and the tuner was accurate. Also, I hadn't even tuned it across all strings, just the lowest two and highest two when it happened. Luckily, only a tiny ding on the top which would be covered up by a new tailpiece anyway. Appreciate any insight or advise.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:34 AM

Contact Eastman before anything else.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:41 AM

Thanks for that tip, I just sent them a message.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi I have an AR805 with the ebony coated metal tailpiece and I have seen others with replacement , or standard style tail pieces but never known why. Perhaps there is an issue.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM

I was hoping to have someone chime in about that. I am wondering that it might not have been anything I did but that the metal fatigued prematurely. Unfortunately, there isn't a lifetime warranty on Eastmans. I'm sure a replacement would be expensive, I may need to go to a third party vendor to get one.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
My Eastman acoustic archtop tuning was flat across the strings so I started to tune it up (it had been on its stand but I hadn't played it in over a week due to other things). Anyway, it seemed weird that everything was flat since lately in our more humid weather things tend to pull sharp on my instruments. All of a sudden the tailpiece snapped. Do you think the bridge got bumped and that caused the problem? Meaning that even though the tuner was showing it tuned to pitch it was actually much sharper? I checked the tuner on another instrument and the tuner was accurate. Also, I hadn't even tuned it across all strings, just the lowest two and highest two when it happened. Luckily, only a tiny ding on the top which would be covered up by a new tailpiece anyway. Appreciate any insight or advise.
Highly unlikely that it had something to do with the bridge moving or that you did anything wrong. Can you post a couple of photos showing the break? What is the guitar model #? Wood or metal tailpiece? Where did it break?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:14 AM

Seems to me that the tail piece was in the process of cracking and therefore your strings went flat till it finally just gave way. But otherwise it's not really unusual for strings to go flat after a week.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 AM

That's what I'm thinking now too, the metal was giving way and so it slacked the strings. I took pics, so hopefully I can get them loaded.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Great big shout out to Eastman! They will send me a replacement! Awesome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair