The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Default Zoom H4n

A quick clip of how good a job this little thing does in a fairly dense mix. Works really well!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9797988
Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 AM

Very nice! My H4n never ceases to amaze me.

2012 Martin 000-28 MMV
Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I think you just made up my mind, i`m gonna get one.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:29 AM

what were you using for mics? very nice stuff.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKerr View Post
what were you using for mics? very nice stuff.
Just the mic's in the H4n. I just set it on the edge of a table and found a sweet spot. No muss or fuss and straight into Logic with zero eq.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Wow!

Now please tell me what else is in the recording in addition to guitar.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Wow! very impressive. I see one of these in my future
Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
Wow!

Now please tell me what else is in the recording in addition to guitar.
There is a Wurlitzer piano part, a high string (which doesn't show up at low volumes), a low pad, a pizz part, a fretless bass, two conga tracks and a human ohh-ahhish pad. Two stereo guitar tracks.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Very nice! I love my H4n. Amazing recorder!

Taylor DN3
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
Boss BR 1600CD
Zoom H4n
Dell XPS M1640
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Monitor Headphones
Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Is the H4N any better sound quality for solo guitar than the H2?

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
There is a Wurlitzer piano part, a high string (which doesn't show up at low volumes), a low pad, a pizz part, a fretless bass, two conga tracks and a human ohh-ahhish pad. Two stereo guitar tracks.
I've been seriously considering buying an H4n as a way to record two or three vocal tracks, a guitar, bass and percussion -- all by me. However, I have zero experience with doing multi-track recording.

Did the H4n enable you to record one or two tracks at a time and then combine two or more tracks onto a single track?

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 10-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I've been seriously considering buying an H4n as a way to record two or three vocal tracks, a guitar, bass and percussion -- all by me. However, I have zero experience with doing multi-track recording.

Did the H4n enable you to record one or two tracks at a time and then combine two or more tracks onto a single track?
Gosh..there's a whole bunch built into that question . No... I don't use the H4n as a multi track recorder. I use it in two very specific ways. The first is to take advantage of different rooms. That is I can haul the H4n into the back bathroom (or anywhere for that matter) and take advantage of the room itself, be it because the room is quieter or more appropriately better sounding. From there I import it back into Pro Tools or Logic and start building a project.

The second method is to use it as an interface/stereo mic, direct to Logic (which I did in the above snippet). Most of my projects tend to be somewhat time sensitive and the H4n doesn't take a lot of setup or work to get convincing acoustic guitar sounds.

The H4n is a 4 track recording device but in and of itself would be fairly limited in a "project" recording environment. I'd guess you'd be better off with Garage Band (Mac) or Reaper (PC) software via a computer. But that's just my 2 cents and I could be dead wrong !
Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm such a novice that your reference to Pro Tools opened a door for me. A Google search turned up the following.

Quoting from a product description:

"The M-Audio FastTrack Pro features near-zero latency direct hardware monitoring and low-latency ASIO software monitoring - that way, you can listen to the tracks you've already recorded as you lay other parts in over them. "

The highlighted passage describes what I'd like to do.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm such a novice that your reference to Pro Tools opened a door for me. A Google search turned up the following.

Quoting from a product description:

"The M-Audio FastTrack Pro features near-zero latency direct hardware monitoring and low-latency ASIO software monitoring - that way, you can listen to the tracks you've already recorded as you lay other parts in over them. "

The highlighted passage describes what I'd like to do.
The H4n (at least primarily) is designed to be a 4 track mobile, stereo recording device. You certainly can over-dub (listen to the tracks you've already recorded as you lay other parts in over them) with the Zoom but it would be in a somewhat limited capacity.

Pro Tools, Garage Band which is free on Mac's, Reaper, Logic, Sonar are all multi track recording software solutions that are everything you'd ever need and much more. The cost of the software is anywhere from free through $500.00 or so.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM

Joseph, really nice playing and was impressed with quality of the recording, especially considering that it was done without EQ. The wife was impressed as well. Great job!

Although I have a decent audio interface, I was thinking about getting a MacBook Pro and an Apogee Duet to "hide" and record in a quiet place but, the H4N sounds might be the ticket. Thanks for sharing!

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD