The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Mine would have to be an electric that I bought new back in about '84 - a Japanese Westone superstrat. I played the 7 or 8 that the store had, and while the rest were junk, this particular one was fantastic. It's been through more shows and recording sessions that I can count - I still gig with it 35 years later, and it absolutely keeps up with my Custom Shop Les Paul and Steinberger.

It plays so well that every time I pick up a high end Strat, I think "yeah, this is nice, but I don't really need one....".
Old 08-30-2019, 05:54 PM

Yes. A run-of-the-mill Clapton 000-28. Excellent sound, and by far the most comfortable neck I've ever played.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm pleased to say my more expensive guitars met my expectations but the guitar that really turned out to be unexpectedly good after a few easy, simple upgrades is my 2012 Epiphone EJ-200....
I had a very good one too. I can't fathom anyone claiming their 2, 3, 4,000+ guitars were beyond expectation. I expect EVERY high-end, and or custom, guitar to be sublime. Anything less than that is unacceptable.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I had a very good one too. I can't fathom anyone claiming their 2, 3, 4,000+ guitars were beyond expectation. I expect EVERY high-end, and or custom, guitar to be sublime. Anything less than that is unacceptable.
That's good to read.
I was initially hesitant to post about my EJ-200 among the Martin and Collings responses.
It's not a lightly built, super responsive versatile guitar but boy, it's a nice strummer.
No, it has a thin neck I find a little uncomfortable for finger-style and it likes a heavy right hand to bring out it's best but get that right and it's the guitar that makes me smile and ask myself every single time, "How does this thing sound and play so good for just $400?"

I just did a currency conversion and today $400 Australian = US$269.52

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-30-2019, 06:31 PM

Default Simon & Patrick

I traded a Neck thru Japanese ESP for a Simon & Patrick in the early 90's. Dreadnought Solid Spruce top and Mahogany B&S. This guitar was a second and plays beautifully. It has out lasted a Koa Breedlove, K14 Taylor and a 70's Lawsuit 340s Takamine. I just placed an order for a Collings D2H and hopefully this guitar will eclipse the S&P.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I find myself pretty much in this camp right now. The guitar I have that most fits in this category for me is my Seagull Artist Deluxe CE. I bought it as B-stock on Reverb a couple of years ago. I had a couple of Seagulls already and was impressed with there quality and tone so I expected a nice guitar. What I didn't expect is that 2+ years later it would still out perform every other guitar I own (some significantly more expensive) as well as every guitar I've demoed since (admittedly far less in number than I'd like)

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Guild F-40 import from around 2005 with Sitka over maple all black and pretty cool-looking. I’ll say very good rather than great. Cost me $800 new and I’d judge it worth 2-3 times that amount. Quite loud and very responsive, so good with pick or fingers. But it has taught me something about maple as its tone is the opposite of thin and has prominent treble overtones with a huge bass. Very comfortable neck. Keeper.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Being a Taylor fan, I knew my 322e 12 fret would be a good sounding guitar but it really surprised me. Non typical Taylor like in tone, it is uncharacteristically mellow with great bass response and sustain that hangs on and on. As it has opened up over the last two years it just gets better.

My Huss & Dalton T-00 14....well, its just plain AMAZING!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 08-30-2019, 08:38 PM

Well, great is kind of a nebulous word. So, I will say much better than I expected. Pleasantly surprising.

Yeah, I bought a Taylor 312. You always hear of lacking bass. This instrument has plenty of bottom end. It is Taylor articulate but I have no issues with that.

It is sapele and that wood tends to be thought of a lesser wood. It is not. It is just different, but not inferior to say, Honduran mahogany. It actually has more high end and bottom.

A keeper for me.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:24 PM

I picked up a 1965 00-16C, nylon string Martin, just over a year ago. I am blown away by how comfortable it is, and by how great it sounds. It's a super light guitar. Very responsive, it doesn't sound like a true classical guitar, but it's not designed to sound like one. I'm loving it!
Old 08-31-2019, 07:31 AM

Default Any guitars you bought that were unexpectedly great?

Martin J12-15
Godin CW II
Gretsch G5622T-CB (3-PU/cats'-eye)
Old 08-31-2019, 08:01 AM

My epi masterbilt Dr-500MNA. Still after all these years it holds its own. It was my first real guitar. I always had the thought that in a year or two I'd step up, but that kept getting put off because it was so utile and fun. Not without its idiosyncrasies, it still hangs with most guitars I've had the pleasure of playing.

The best $250 I've ever spent, easily.

It's not my "best" but everyone who plays it absolutely loves it.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 AM

My Martin DCPA4 Siris is probably the one that has turned out better than I had imagined. I got it in a trade with a fellow AGF member.

Maury of Maury's Music gave me an incredibly great deal on a GPC16E that I never really bonded with and one day while checking out the listings here in Classifieds Guitar, I found the listing, contacted Terry and the rest is history.

I love my Gibson J15 and it is everything I expected it to be; and I had incredibly high expectations, but I really didn't know what to expect from the Martin. Boy am I happy I traded!

An interesting side note is how heavy this Martin is. It's much heavier that my Martin DRS2. Now, I know next to nothing about guitar construction but I do know this Martin is heavier than my Gibson and my Martin DRS2 so I really don't know why it weighs what it does. I've been thinking the name may be a clue. I've read that Performing Artist series guitars are intended for actual performing players and are therefor built to withstand rugged playing night after night.

I have no idea if that's true but whatever the reason, it's my heaviest guitar and my most unexpectedly great guitar.

Best,
PJ
Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 AM

I bought this Epiphone DR-500RANS, on Reverb, mainly for it's looks and price and then discovered it gave me the soft mellow sound and strong bass that I like.

Epiphone(3).jpg
Old 08-31-2019, 10:06 AM

My Eastman E1ss-cla-ltd. Wasn't looking for another guitar. Certainly wasn't looking for a cheap guitar.

Just went to get some guitar stands and try out the new slope offerings from Taylor and Martin just for kicks. Saw the Eastman too and thought, sure what the heck. Expected it to be fine but nothing more than that. It was way more than fine. I took it home.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion