The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Default schaller "grand tune" machine heads

So I have to admit I found myself really liking the look of the new Schaller grand tune tuning machines.... I couldn't find information / reviews anywhere so I just gave up and ordered a set off ebay... anybody have any experience with them?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM

They're very nice, but not particularly any better/different than the Grover or gotoh offerings in function, IMO.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:29 PM

They are more comparable to Waverly quality than they are to Grover or Gotoh.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 AM

I've been eying them too. I've always liked Schaller hardware for myself. Guess I will need to order a set.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM

FWIW, they look like lovely tuners, but from the photos I have seen I can't tell if the bushings they will require are just push-in bushings or if they screw and tighten to the back-plate. I tend to think the former may be true.

If tuners are not 3-on-a-plate design, I prefer ones that have an integrated bushing that screws to the back-plate. Recently I have tried Sperzel locking tuners which not only look great (gold plated) but they are ridiculously quick to change strings and quick to use when tuning. There is a small trick with the locking tuners, however, in that you need to give enough slack so that there is at least a half wrap around the tuner post so that when tuning up and down for alternate tunings, the kink in the string (as it comes out of the post-hole) isn't bent back and forth, otherwise you will continually break strings. The Sperzel tuners are a bit heavier than some others, and this may or may not be the preference of some owners and builders.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments. they definitely look like they can be a very high quality alternative to Waverly machines....
I ordered them on ebay but the dealer was the 12fth fret in Toronto so I suppose I should have them this week and then I'll know for sure.
Dan
Old 03-01-2015, 05:47 PM

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps63442855.jpg
This showed up on the UMGF, not sure of the total story but you might try a search on the site.
Tom
Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have used a dozen sets on my guitars at this point. Like all new whatever there have been some teething issues. Some of the first production run have issues with excessive backlash from a technical POV, but the tuners are so smooth on the take up that as long as there is tension on the string, the issue is so transparent that there is no apparent problem. I have also seen two individual tuners that had a rough feel to them. Schaller has warranted these without complaint. Now there is a second generation production run. I have another bunch of tuners ordered and paid for which should arrive any day. They do claim to have addressed the issues I have pointed out to them.

I may be an unusually picky customer, but I have had issues with every kind of tuner I've ever used except Rodgers, and they are too expensive to use as a standard tuner on my guitars and are reserved for customer upgrade. Besides, the Rodgers doesn't look right to me on a vintage American style guitar, which the GrandTune certainly does.

GrandTune has a press in ferrel like on a Waverly rather that screw in guide like a Schaller M6.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I may be an unusually picky customer, but I have had issues with every kind of tuner I've ever used except Rodgers, and they are too expensive to use as a standard tuner on my guitars and are reserved for customer upgrade. Besides, the Rodgers doesn't look right to me on a vintage American style guitar, which the GrandTune certainly does.

GrandTune has a press in ferrel like on a Waverly rather that screw in guide like a Schaller M6.
1) Bruce, although you may indeed be "unusually" picky, I don't think at all that your pickiness is too picky. People who know me also know how persnickity I am, and I pick up on small details similar to what you mention. Paying attention to these small details defines the difference between very good and excellent.

2) I have used Jorg Graf's hand-made tuners on one of the classical guitars I built. Those tuners are FANTASTIC!! But like you stated about the Rodgers tuners, they are just too expensive as a standard tuner.

3) Glad to know the GrandTunes have ferrules. Too bad they are not screw in (which I prefer), but interesting enough that I might try them sometime on a future guitar.

Thanks for reporting your experience with them.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
If tuners are not 3-on-a-plate design, I prefer ones that have an integrated bushing that screws to the back-plate.
AFAIK, ther are no open back tuners with that construction. For many of my customers, enclosed tuners are not an option.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
AFAIK, ther are no open back tuners with that construction. For many of my customers, enclosed tuners are not an option.
Yes, I think you are quite right, John, about open back tuners.

Just curious, why do some of your customers prefer open tuners...?? Weight...?? Looks...??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I received my set the other day. They look and feel nice, may not be quite the Waverly quality, but seem ok. These may also be from the first run.... I prefer the open backs due to their looks and weight.
dan
Old 08-10-2015, 11:38 AM

My guitar has Gotoh SE700 tuners and I don't care much for the way they turn and consider a replacement. When I compare Gotoh specs with Waverley it seems that this may not be a perfect fit and might require some additional drilling or reaming. However, these Grand Tune gears look very appealing and I like the colour options for sure. Can someone please comment on how well they might fit for replacing the Gotoh SE700s?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
My guitar has Gotoh SE700 tuners and I don't care much for the way they turn and consider a replacement. When I compare Gotoh specs with Waverley it seems that this may not be a perfect fit and might require some additional drilling or reaming. However, these Grand Tune gears look very appealing and I like the colour options for sure. Can someone please comment on how well they might fit for replacing the Gotoh SE700s?
Any issues changing from your Gotohs to Waverlys will be the same changing to GrandTunes, as they claim to be the same footprint. The only difference I have found is that the ferrel/bushing on the Schaller requires a slightly larger bore in the headstock face as compared to the Waverly.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Bruce will have had more experience with them from a builder's perspective (having probably acted as a firewall for potential problems). One of my guitars has a set and they are very close to Waverly in quality. I would say my Waves are a touch smoother, but I have also been told that Waverly has had their own issues in the past.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair