The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Collings Factory Tour

I was in Texas last week for work and took the opportunity to visit the Collings factory. It was a fantastic tour and even emotionally moving.

First, my interest in Collings was peaked after I picked up a used Collings lefty OOO 12 fret last December which I am very happy with.

A few impressions from my visit: The tour started on Friday at 3:30 pm so there were less people working in various jobs than normal. I was disappointed at first not to see certain task being performed, but I think the light crew and the fact that we only had 6 people in our tour was a real benefit. More on that later. Our guide Jonathan was tremendous and generous with his time and information. The tour lasted almost two hours with my wife and I sticking around to see the Waterloo building while the others left.

I knew Collings had a pretty good output of different product lines and even though I had seen pictures online of the factory, I was expecting a more high tech and modern factory. Although they had several CNC machines going at the same time carving bridges, fretboards, necks and other parts, the place looked like a workshop to me more than a factory. Lots of unfinished wood, bodies, parts, glue, sanding, sawdust, etc., -- dispersed throughout. It looked efficient, but messy in a good way like people were doing stuff with their hands. The workshop areas were also smaller than I imagined which led to the shop vibe rather than “factory.” There were several people sanding different things such as mandolin bodies and electrics and because the shop was quiet, they talked to us and explained what they were doing and they had generally been at some of these tasks for several hours – on the same instrument.

We also got to look at the building next to the main shop where they make the Waterloo’s and the new cases. The Waterloo production and the cases are right next to each other and you could see that the Waterloo line has a streamlined production set up. It was also cool to see the raw plywood and how they press the cases into shape.

Now the part that really stuck with me. I don’t want to sound like a fan boy here. I think there are lots of great guitar makers out there who are peers of Collings. In talking to some of the workers, the passion they spoke about and the attention to detail was very real. I want to respect his privacy and won’t use his name here, but there was an experienced and fairly well known Collings builder who started to tell us about Bill Collings and how he trained people and the commitment to quality and he was giving a bit of his personal story of how he came to Collings and why he stayed. A couple other employees joined in the conversation. You could tell these folks were reflecting a bit on the one year anniversary of Mr. Collings death, and even my wife who doesn’t care about guitars at all thought it was very moving they way the​y​ respected Bill Collings and the culture and passion instilled in the people ​who work there. ​ I was probably a bit skeptical of that kind of mystique before I went and would have chalked it up to normal marketing stuff , but I left there really struck at how authentic it was. I am sure its not easy to maintain over time, but I expect the passion these folks have and how they talked about still feeling guided by Bill Collings vision as they did their work will carry on in that way. I thought about my own business and the challenge of making employees care like they are an owner. One guy said it was a passion that becomes a job that remains a passion. OK…all of that sounds like a fan boy but I left being very impressed and feeling fortunate to own one of their guitars. The Collings folks could not have been more gracious and even though I was concerned that we were invading their work space by looking over their shoulder, no one acted at all like that.

I took some pictures but they didn’t come out great. There are many pictures of the factory online which are better than the ones I took so I will leave pictures out of the post. Take the tour if you can if your anywhere near Austin. Cheers!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting. Sounds like it was a special day and it will no doubt add to your enjoyment of your Collings.
It is great to actually meet the people that make the fine guitars we play...it makes the guitars a little bit more personal when we play them.

And I've been to Austin and never even thought of taking that tour. Darn, I'll need to get back there!

Col
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Great report, thanks for sharing. I want to do that visit also.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

That’s a great post and I’m glad you told your story. I am a Collings fan. I think the care, devotion and skillful workmanship shows in every guitar they make. I plan on making the visit at some point.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Great post, Lefty. Glad you enjoyed the tour. I've fortunately been to several, loved every one and learned something new each time. It's a remarkable company and that reflects directly on Bill and his commitment to excellence. I think the whole group is fantastic. I've played for 48 years, but Bill and his instruments made a lasting change on what I want to hear from my guitars. I'm grateful for the time I've been able to spend with Bill, Mark, Steve and the gang. My Collings guitars will always be my favorites.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the post! I recently picked up a D1 and I'm really liking it.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Great post, Lefty. Glad you enjoyed the tour. I've fortunately been to several, loved every one and learned something new each time. It's a remarkable company and that reflects directly on Bill and his commitment to excellence. I think the whole group is fantastic. I've played for 48 years, but Bill and his instruments made a lasting change on what I want to hear from my guitars. I'm grateful for the time I've been able to spend with Bill, Mark, Steve and the gang. My Collings guitars will always be my favorites.
I assume you live in austin?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I assume you live in austin?
No, just traveled all the time and loved Austin.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM

That sounds very cool, Ive got to put it on my list of places to visit! I'm a Collings fan also, and so very impressed with their guitars.

Waterloo is in a separate building? I was in a guitar shop, and the guy there was telling me that Waterloos are the seconds from the Collings line, the ones that don't meet their specs. I didn't think that was the case, but didn't want to argue with him as I didn't really know. Any input?
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I was in a guitar shop, and the guy there was telling me that Waterloos are the seconds from the Collings line, the ones that don't meet their specs. I didn't think that was the case, but didn't want to argue with him as I didn't really know. Any input?
This is the silliest thing I've heard in a while! Waterloo is a completely different line, a whole other style of guitar with quite different construction techniques. There is no such thing as a Collings (or Waterloo) "second"

...I take it that the shop where you heard this was neither a Collings or Waterloo dealer?

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful story.

A visit to Austin is on my bucket list, and a tour of the Collings factory is at the top of my list of things to do when we get there.

D

(fortunate owner of two Collings guitars)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
and the guy there was telling me that Waterloos are the seconds from the Collings line, the ones that don't meet their specs. I didn't think that was the case, but didn't want to argue with him as I didn't really know. Any input?
Wow... Bill is rolling over in his grave! As AMW said, no possibility of that being the case.

The general public will never see any Collings seconds.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 PM

I am moving back to the Austin area when I retire next August. Collings are WAY out of my price range but you have piqued my curiosity. I'll have to tour that place after I get settled in. Thanks for the story!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-19-2018, 01:14 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I am moving back to the Austin area when I retire next August. Collings are WAY out of my price range but you have piqued my curiosity.
Checked out the home prices here lately?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Checked out the home prices here lately?
Yes, I have! That is the reason my wife and I are moving to a small town just north of Georgetown called Jarrell. It is about 40 miles North of Austin and is much more affordable!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion