The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Smile Help choosing guitar for fingerstyle

A little bit about me: I'm 51 and have been playing guitar off and on since I was 15, but lately after not playing for 5 years have been getting back into it. I've only ever owned 2 guitars. My first guitar was a Flambeau LFW-1 (a slope shouldered dread, spruce top, and mahogany laminate back and sides) and my second and current guitar is a Yamaha FG-441C (cutaway) - this one is literally being held together by duct tape, has very high action, etc...

I play almost exclusively fingerstyle (bare fingers/nail) in the style of Leo Kottke, Bruce Cockburn, etc... I don't perform for an audience, play mostly for myself or family, and the closest thing to gigging I would ever consider is perhaps playing with an open case for loose change (not for the money but just for the taste of an audience other than family and friends).

I've been visiting my local Long & McQuade store for the past year just playing guitars and getting a impression of Taylor's versus Martins versus Larrivees that they have in stock. Taylor 314ce, 414ce, 322e... Larrivee L-03,
OM-40 Legacy... My budget is limited so I'd prefer to buy used to try to get as much value as possible. This is probably going to be my only guitar for the near future.

Lately I've tried a few 12 fret (long and short scale) and like how they feel but I'm almost really torn as to whether I'd miss the extra few frets...

Now to the a few (used) guitars that I've found available and considering...

1. Martin 000-17SM slotted headstock and upgraded tuners (USD: 1200)

2. 1999 Larrivee OM-09 (koa back and sides USD: 1300)

3. Larrivee Forum IV (00 03-MT Mahogany top, back, sides (USD: 1000)

I feel like I'm been putting off a purchase because of my reservations about what to buy and I'm afraid of buyer's remorse... but going on over a year of looking I think I should just bite the bullet because playing my current guitar is not very much fun...
Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Any guitar can be used for finger style playing, so if you played it and it seemed to work it's all good.

I don't play with a great deal of RH finger pressure, so I much prefer a guitar that likes light strings; 12's are my weapon of choice. Dreads don't work well for me, but that doesn't mean they won't work for you.

I like 14 fret short scale with 1 3/4 nut in the general 000 size. There are players out there making every kind and size work, so it really comes down to your preferences. You've done the right thing by playing a bunch. Trust your ears and your fingers - if it sounds good and feels good pull your wallet out.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM

ANY of those guitars will probably suit you for awhile. They are not 'starter' guitars by any means.

Bruce Cockburn has played Larrivee and related guitars for years (Wren, Manzer et al), so those choices are probably good to get the note separation so crucial to his music. I happened to discover Larrivee when I heard Cockburn via his live album Circles in the Stream, which had a picture of him playing this cool-looking cutaway guitar. Game over!

(Of course, by looking at my signature line you can see I am a wee bit biased.)

Do any of the three 'speak' to you in terms of tone and ergonomics/ease? Get that one and forget about the others.

I'm imagining the OM might be the loudest, if that matters to you.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM

When I build a guitar to play finger style, it ends up with a slightly wider neck - 1.85" ish, slightly flatter fretboard - 16" radius, medium frets, around 2.25" bridge string spacing, 25" scale. I string with .011 - .052, or .12's and tune down to D-D. I set it up with a lot of attention paid to the nut for the best possible nut action, a quite flat neck with little relief, and somewhat low action - .060" - .075" high E/low E at 12th fret. I like a compact guitar that I can embrace, so 12 frets works well for me, although I also like a 16" archtop size. Archtops often feel smaller than they are because they are only 3" deep at the sides.

Basically, a little more room for my fingers to work, a little shorter scale so I can reach, light so it's easy to play, and small so I can get into it.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tachyon_ View Post
... but going on over a year of looking I think I should just bite the bullet because playing my current guitar is not very much fun...
Good answer!

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-17-2018, 02:02 PM

I was in a similar situation, with first stop used to be the Long & McQuade that has big selection of Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Larrivee, Seagull. As you tried the different brands I assume you noticed their fundamental difference in neck feel and overall quality. I noticed that you narrowed your preference down to Larrivee and Martin, and between those I think that Larrivee probably provides better bang for the buck overall, and at least in my local LMQ I also preferred the feel and sound of them.

However, the LMQ stores do not carry ALL brands, just the main ones. I am fortunate that in my town (Regina) we also have a dedicated luthier and guitar shop who has his own brand (Sawchyn) as well is a dealer for several others such as Guild and this is now always my first stop for all things guitar related. So I encourage you to find a specialized luthier or guitars only store to broaden your horizon, and I hope you can find one or more nearby.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Finger Style

There was a Taylor 522 for sale here on the forums and the local CL a couple of weeks ago.

It's a great guitar, just not what I was looking for. It would be a good candidate for what you describe.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 09-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Speaking of Larrivee and Cockburn, Larrivee's first ever cut-away was built for Bruce Cockburn (1975 C-09 Brazilian)...
Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Lots of good options for fingerstyle guitars, but I have a 000-17SM and can vouch that it is a great little guitar, especially for finger picking. Larrivee's are awesome as well, I had an OM-03R for a while that was very nice. I don't think you can go wrong with the guitars you are looking at.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:25 PM

I think I'd go for the Larrivee OM-09. Check out this demo video. It's articulate and balanced and warm sounding at the same time. The audio on this recording almost sounds like Collings (based on my limited experience with Collings). Seems as nice as some $3000+ Taylors. $1300? Seems like a no-brainer.

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Larrivee and Cockburn, Larrivee's first ever cut-away was built for Bruce Cockburn (1975 C-09 Brazilian)...
His current guitars are mainly luthier built (custom?) Linda Manzer models. When he was in Regina couple weeks ago he preferred the Dobro.

https://brucecockburn.com/about/guitars/
Old 09-17-2018, 04:26 PM

very happy with my Martin OM-28. I just like that size for sofa play.

very happy with my 914 Taylor. Again, it's a good size - any x14 from Taylor is shaped like mine. The wood choice is up to you!

I have short-scale and 12-fret guitars too. I love them! But, for one-guitar folks playing fingerstyle on the sofa, I'd stay with 14-fret and long scale. That way, when you use a capo or tune down the strings, it works better (IMHO).

f-d
Old 09-17-2018, 06:05 PM

Lately I've tried a few 12 fret (long and short scale) and like how they feel but I'm almost really torn as to whether I'd miss the extra few frets...

Now to the a few (used) guitars that I've found available and considering...
1. Martin 000-17SM slotted headstock and upgraded tuners (USD: 1200)
2. 1999 Larrivee OM-09 (koa back and sides USD: 1300)
3. Larrivee Forum IV (00 03-MT Mahogany top, back, sides (USD: 1000)

As far as the missing the extra frets thing, how often do you play with a capo past G#? I do often enough to be glad I have cutaways. That's kind of where a Taylor would work for you, but I'm guessing you don't like their bright tone. However, if you're in driving distance of a Taylor 322 or 324 cutaway model, it'll be worth checking out. The blackwood/mahogany is unlike any other tone Taylor offers and the 322 12 fret is a short scale so the string tension is a bit lower and generally, most all Taylors play easily.

I've owned the Forum IV, but I never could get the action down as far as I liked, so be sure to check how much saddle you have on it and how the neck relief is set before buying. It's a comfortable size and I really liked the 12 fret growl it had.

Of the three the OM-09 is gonna be the most versatile, IMHO, because of the body size and spruce top. Lack of brightness with hog topped guitars was something I simply couldn't get used to. The OM-09 should be fully opened up by now and probably sounds as good as it ever will. Not a bad price if it's not marked up and plenty of fret, so I don't think you'll take too much of a hit if you don't bond with it.

Lastly, I know I probably pound the table for this one guitar too much, but if my guitars got stolen, I'd be getting one of the Gretch "Roots Collection" G9521 STYLE 2 TRIPLE-0 while waiting a year for my Larrivee OOV custom order . . .

Good luck with your search!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:51 PM

I've recently found out the OM-09 is a custom build... instead of rosewood back and sides, it's Koa... was wondering what kind of a difference I should expect when I go play it and whether it would still be suitable for fingerstyle...
Old 09-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've recently found out the OM-09 is a custom build... instead of rosewood back and sides, it's Koa... was wondering what kind of a difference I should expect when I go play it and whether it would still be suitable for fingerstyle...
It'll be fine. Larrivee, Taylor, Avalon, Furch, Lowden and yes even Martin and Gibson make guitars that are or can be used as finger style guitars. I play bare flesh on all of mine. The lucky find was a Guild D-120ce all solid hog used for $425. I had played a Lutz over rosewood Taylor 714ce that was really nice too.

It's fun to shop guitars though,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion