The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Small Gig Setup: Fishman Mini or Kustom PA50?

I'm getting confused with all the info out there so I thought I'd ask. If I want to do a small coffee shop type gig, would I be better off with a small two channel amp like a Fishman Mini or a small powered speaker like the Kustom PA50? I have a little mixer that can give me any effects that I want so I can't see where something like a Fishman Mini would give me any advantage over my current mixer and a small powered speaker. I like the ease of a single amp to plug in mic and guitar but I also like the flexibility of a small mixer to powered speaker.

Those with experience, which route would you go?
Old 08-20-2018, 01:59 PM

I have 2 Kustom PA 50s. They crank! And hold up over time. Many will diss them since they don't cost $300 or for whatever other reason, but they get the job done and sound really good imho.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 PM

If you can afford the Bose S1 Pro, it's hard to beat for the utility and size. I would look at the Fishman or Boss acoustic amps in a lower price point. I tried the Kustom units when I was looking for something inexpensive. They are certainly fine for the price.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Possible benefits of going the acoustic amp route:
  • Easily expandable (for larger venues, for example) via its XLR out into a PA or powered speaker.
  • Can also serve as a nice monitor and two-channel mixer when driving a PA or powered speaker.
  • Compact, light, and self contained...Just one thing to carry/set-up/teardown.
  • Some amp manufacturers claim that the speaker(s) in their acoustic amps are specifically voiced for a/e guitars. (I am not sold on the veracity of this claim, but there it is.)
All that said, the small unpowered mixer into a powered speaker is a fine solution.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-20-2018, 04:47 PM

Kustom PA 50's work great,
Old 08-20-2018, 05:14 PM

Check out a Roland Cube Street. It's LOUD and you can even go with the battery power if you like.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:39 PM

I have 2 Kustom PA 50's. I use them for to extend volume in odd angled places. I use them with my L1compact, S1 pro, and Fishman loudbox Artist. You can use them by themselves if you want.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:16 PM

I have a Kustom 50 - it was kind of our starter rig when we started doing open mics.

We ordered through MF and had to send the first two back as they were defective. The third one has performed perfectly for 5 years or so.

They are a great "beginner" piece of gear and can be used as a monitor later on.

That said, there are obvious limitations as to how much low-mids and bass you can get from 4.5" drivers.

I also own the Cube Street EX. It sounds better than the Kustom, but at 5x the cost it should. I would consider the Bose S1 more of a pro piece of equipment than the EX Cube. If you play electric though, the Roland gives you options that the Bose does not.

I think the Loudbox mini is a good little amp and better than the Kustom for sure, having onboard effects and pretty decent power. It is mid-priced and offers middle of the road performance IMO.

I would go cheap or go all-in, personally. Kustom 50 on the cheap end or Bose S1 or Boss Acoustic singer on the high end. My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-20-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

i own both and there's a lot to love!

kustom pa 50 is great as long as you don't have any instrument with bass information like drum pedals or bass. another advantage is the ability to fly them up over you for projection

the fishman has the benefit of a more close monitor and giving you more of the experience of the sound of your guitar being close to you.

In many cases I'd say both makes for a real sweet spot using the fishman as a guitar monitor and just feed enough to the kustom to fill it out in the room.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 PM

Ha! I guess that's why I asked, because there are so many opinions. I think I'm leaning towards the kustom. My thought process is that it's cheap, to Roy's point. If I change my mind on gigs or the amp, I would lose less on the resale. (I'm planning on buying used so it might not matter either way.)

The best part is that it doesn't sound like I would go "wrong" so much as have a preference one way or the other. And that's a cool place to be.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 PM

This is all good advice I agree with. Most importantly, how does each one sound to you?
I personally like the all in one solution - Fishman LB mini (I have the Artist and Performer and have never needed the extra power but they are far smoother than the Mini).
If you are not sure about whether you will continue playing these kind of gigs, I would be conservative and if the Kustom 50 sounds good to you, that would make sense.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 AM

Default Kustom PA 50

I have owned a large number of PA's. I have owned the BoseL1 Compact as well. I host an old Gospel, Bluegrass, Country jam at a local retirement home monthly. We play in the chapel which can hold 100 folks or so. We have an average attendance of 80 or more residents as well as family and staff. I will set up 4 mics, 2 for me and my wife who plays guitar and sings. One mic for my dobro, banjo long time sideman, and one rover on a long cable for folks to use to lead a tune. We will have 8-10 musicians, upright bass, banjo, dobro, guitars, fiddle, accordion etc. It is amazing how much sound those little speakers will put out. The chapel system is 4 EV 15's with horns, and I've used that a couple of times, but the PA 50's amplify the voices much better, and pick up enough instrument to carry the sound very well indeed. I suppose the only thing I might do eventually is pick up a powered sub, but I link the PA 50's together and get wonderful clarity. It works incredibly well indeed.
Rick Benjamin
Old 09-05-2018, 11:36 AM

One factor you might also want to consider, if you're a solo guy like me and buying a new piece of gear, is the Bluetooth feature that both the Bose S1 Pro and new Fishman Mini Loudbox (and maybe others) have. That's just a really handy feature, IMO, both for break music at gigs and for playing along with music at home through the amp. Just a thought... let us know what you do!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM

I would lean toward the loudbox mini myself. The PA50 does have another advantage in that it is pole mountable.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 AM

OP Here: I found a new / open box Kustom PA50 for $60 so that's what I got. I figure I can't really go wrong at that price. If it fits my needs (even it not a direct comparison), I'm good to go. If it doesn't fit my needs, I think I could get all / most of my money back on resale. I'm excited to give it a whirl!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification