The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Sandy,
It’s great you made that gig. I know it hurts. My wife shattered her hand and had to do major PT a few years back. It made her howl in pain at the time and later. But she’s barre chording now.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 09-16-2018, 09:28 PM

For some reason I can't seem to read page 4. Oh well, I saw that you had your first gig after getting the cast off Sandy. Congratulations. You are an inspiration. .

As I type this my right arm is in a splint immobilizing my right elbow. 9 days ago I flew over the handle bars of my bicycle trying to learn how to bunny hop. I broke the radial bone at the elbow and have limited motion with a considerable amount of bruising below the area. Apart from a twinge if I move it too much I'm not in a lot of pain - other than the pain in my neck from the sling. I wish I didn't have to wear it. I also hate that I can't get it wet but it is what it is. The cotton they wrapped my arm in is also quite itchy and hot.

Even though as I said I'm trying not to use my elbow too much I still have full use of my hand and shoulder. I'd prefer to keep it that way but am very nervous that they didn't just put me in a proper cast at the ER. I go in to see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow and am praying that he doesn't try and talk me into pins and whatnot. I'm not very trusting of doctors. I certainly do NOT want to have to take any prescription medication. I've seen the effects of dependency on prescription medications, side effects and interactions with other medications firsthand.

PS: although I can not strap on my dread and strum like Neil Young at present, I can sit and play my OM on my left thigh while seated or my Strat while standing. Playing is my therapy - as is bicycling. Before this I had designs to enter a 25 mile ride next month and apply for a paying musical gig at the local market. I won't give up either and I'm hoping I can do both in short order.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 AM

Neil, I feel (some of) your pain: that second fall that fractured my L scaphoid also gave me hairline fractures of my R radius (radial head, aka elbow, and distal radius, aka wrist). I was given a sling and the option to use a brace for the R wrist. The latter turned out to be unnecessary, but the sling was literally a pain in the neck. (And because it was black, my orange patch tabby shed all over it).

My ortho said that elbow fractures, unless displaced, are usually not surgically treated. The goal is to immobilize until repeated X-rays show enough bone "callus" formation to indicate that the bone is "knitting." My radial fractures were "subtle" and non-displaced, so I was able to ditch the brace & sling after a week.

You might want to ask your ortho about a removable rigid custom-molded splint. Occupational therapists make them from scratch out of neoprene with a thermoplastic core; and they fasten with velcro. (You wear a knitted cotton stockinet underneath to absorb sweat). You might also ask about the kind I had: an EXOS pre-fab (S,M, or L) rigid cast-brace if your insurance will cover it. It, too, is neoprene over thermoplastic, and has a lacing system that can be tightened with a knob.

The advantage of these braces is that if you get them wet you can dry them with a hairdryer. A padded cotton batting/plaster-and-ACE-wrap splint or plaster cast will soften if wet and you'd have to get a new one (and therefore need to keep it dry with plastic bags in the shower and the rain).

(Oh--and there is no pg. 4--dunno why the counter at the bottom says otherwise).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

So glad to hear of your recovery.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Neil, I feel (some of) your pain: that second fall that fractured my L scaphoid also gave me hairline fractures of my R radius (radial head, aka elbow, and distal radius, aka wrist). I was given a sling and the option to use a brace for the R wrist. The latter turned out to be unnecessary, but the sling was literally a pain in the neck. (And because it was black, my orange patch tabby shed all over it).

My ortho said that elbow fractures, unless displaced, are usually not surgically treated. The goal is to immobilize until repeated X-rays show enough bone "callus" formation to indicate that the bone is "knitting." My radial fractures were "subtle" and non-displaced, so I was able to ditch the brace & sling after a week.

You might want to ask your ortho about a removable rigid custom-molded splint. Occupational therapists make them from scratch out of neoprene with a thermoplastic core; and they fasten with velcro. (You wear a knitted cotton stockinet underneath to absorb sweat). You might also ask about the kind I had: an EXOS pre-fab (S,M, or L) rigid cast-brace if your insurance will cover it. It, too, is neoprene over thermoplastic, and has a lacing system that can be tightened with a knob.

The advantage of these braces is that if you get them wet you can dry them with a hairdryer. A padded cotton batting/plaster-and-ACE-wrap splint or plaster cast will soften if wet and you'd have to get a new one (and therefore need to keep it dry with plastic bags in the shower and the rain).

(Oh--and there is no pg. 4--dunno why the counter at the bottom says otherwise).
Thanks, Sandy,

I'm very lucky I didn't displace it, break my wrist or break my collarbone. I saw the X ray on Tuesday. The break in my radial head was basically a small notch.

I just have to wear the splint for another 2 weeks and they'll take another X ray. It's been 12 days since I fell and the pain is about 90% gone. My only complaint was that they wrapped it too tight and my hand was getting swollen. So I took it off to take a shower and noted that even the bruising is mostly gone. I rewrapped it a little on the loose side and my hand feels better. I'm looking forward to rehabbing the muscles and getting back on my bicycle next month instead of next spring.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:05 PM

Harmonica thats great. Im a lefty who had surgery on my pinky three pins and a year of, well a lot. But look on the bright side, you in a country where this can be done. And when your done your healed so all this work isnt for nothing.

You will be able to play again, think about that when your in PT, the operating table etc. Good luck you will get through this..
Old 09-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Last night, had my first gig since the cast came off. It was a challenge, to say the least, but I powered through it and didn't let on how much it hurt. My hand therapist repeated my surgeon's advice: take it as far as I (sensibly) can; and though it will hurt I am actually not harming it. Instead of the M-36 I played the Gramann Rappahannock because it has a slightly shorter scale and easier action. Flip side is that it doesn't take well to hard strumming, so I had to use a light touch with the flatpick. And my R hand nails are stilll a bit short so fingerpicking wasn't very loud. (I hate fingerpicks). Normally, I can make up for that with amplification but because the room was "live" and small, we played unplugged.

I was able to make a few barre chords (just the ones I needed), and that pesky movable Gadd9 up to the 12th fret was doable by holding the neck up & out sorta like Johnny Cash. (Could also have sat and played in classical position--resting it on my L knee--but it would have looked pretentious and given inadequate vocal support). There's a Gsus4 in second position on the dulcimer that also hurts like hell, but I knew the pain was coming so I didn't have to yelp or make John-Mayer-faces. I managed to get through two 50-min. sets.

Next gig is in two weeks, 1 hr. at a local folk festival, amplified. Three times the fee, too. Then in Nov., a musical improv gig at i.o. Only one gig a month. Baby steps...
SUPERB!!!

An AGF feel good story ending and new beginning.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Was re-evaluated today at PT (per Medicare rules)--therapist says that after two more sessions (Mon. and Wed. morning, with surgeon followup in the aft.), my surgeon will almost certainly order me discharged from hand therapy. ROM and grip strength are better than before surgery (and grip strength better than before my injuries). Sure, playing still hurts a bit, but it's definitely doable.

Next gig is a festival (we are headlining!) a week from Sunday. Hoping for sunshine and mild weather! (Before surgery, I'd have prayed for a rainout).

Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

Old 09-27-2018, 04:35 PM

Even after you are officially discharged from PT, keep doing those exercises. And follow the orthpods' rule: If it's just muscle pain, you can work through it. But if the joint still hurts five minutes after you've stopped, you have probably over done things. Slow and steady.....
Old 09-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Was re-evaluated today at PT (per Medicare rules)--therapist says that after two more sessions (Mon. and Wed. morning, with surgeon followup in the aft.), my surgeon will almost certainly order me discharged from hand therapy. ROM and grip strength are better than before surgery (and grip strength better than before my injuries). Sure, playing still hurts a bit, but it's definitely doable.

Next gig is a festival (we are headlining!) a week from Sunday. Hoping for sunshine and mild weather! (Before surgery, I'd have prayed for a rainout).
Hi Sandy, as I'm sure you remember, I had hroat cancer lastyeqar and the treatment radically affected my ability to swallow and taste and lubricate, let alone my voice.
We had a year old booking to play at a bluegrass festival at the end of July. I was very concerned about this but really wanted to do it.

I tried to avoid talking to the many caring acquaintance there to limit my voice for the 45 minute spot.

I designed a playlist with instrumentals after every second song, plus Mando Bob singing lead on two numbers. So, eleven numbers, including four instrumentals, and two songs only singing back up, meant that I only had to sing five numbers, plus intro chat etc.

It worked well, and although I couldn't speak for two days after it was worth it.

Soooo, I'm wondering if you could engineer your festival gig setlist in some way to ensure that you appear, but minimise the necessity to play somehow ... might that be possible?

Just a thought.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Andy. I was fine after the last gig (two 50-min. sets) a couple of weeks ago--didn't have to resort to anything a cappella or re-arrange any songs. Was able to ice adequately when I got home, and was none the worse for wear by bedtime. This will be a shorter gig (only one 55-min. set). My main worries are throwing my back out schlepping stuff from the parking lot, and that it might get rained out--showers are forecast and there's no fieldhouse large enough to accommodate a stage. (They'll pay us anyway, but I really enjoy getting back in the saddle...and nut...and bridge...).

Speaking of which, I just had 1-1/2 and 8-1/2 frets installed in one of my dulcimers (to avoid confusion and bizarre chords I colored them with a bronze Sharpie--the audience won't be able to tell. and if it rubs off on my fingers it won't look as bad as a red or black one). It'll enable me to play blues runs without having to strain my L hand bending strings, play a V 7th chord in first position, and not have to leap octaves in the midst of a melody. But first I have to practice!

Glad to hear you are able to perform, and use your voice judiciously. How is everything else?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic