The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Well done, Rhythm Doc.

Your guitar will bring you lots of joy. Sometimes, vintage isn’t the way to go. I like the necks on modern Gibsons better than those on the late 60s versions.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Well done, Rhythm Doc.

Your guitar will bring you lots of joy. Sometimes, vintage isn’t the way to go. I like the necks on modern Gibsons better than those on the late 60s versions.
Thanks! I agree. I mean, the tone of a vintage guitar is often times amazing. However, with that comes a whole bunch of uncertainty with regards to work that's been done or work that needs to be done. In my case, the 1967 I bought sounded phenomenal and I never would have known about the broken truss rod had I not taken it in to get a pickup installed. My luthier mentioned that it probably broke in a 'good' position, which is why it was playable and great sounding. But for me, if I'm paying $4k+ for an instrument I do like having that guarantee via warranty which you don't get buying an actual vintage guitar. Plus, like I said, this thing plays like a dream so I couldn't be happier

My YouTube Grooves
Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
... this J-45 Vintage is fricking STELLAR in the tone department. ... If tone is what you desire, I highly suggest everyone play these new Vintage models. They really do sound amazing. Hopefully the torrefaction top stands the test of time.
Yes. That tone. Congratulations to you, good doctor!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Very sweet looking J-45 Rhythmdoctor! That’s the best burst I’ve seen on any Vintage series J-45. I saw one in Miami last week and it looked like it was pulled from a fire it was so dark.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:30 AM

I am the happy owner of a 2017 J-45 Vintage, from my local shop. I did visit CME this summer, to see a Merle Travis D-28. I told my family I'd be quick, as I went to play only that Martin. Needless to say, I spent much of the day there! 20-plus years back I purchased a fabulous '57 Strat from Scott Silver, at the Chicago guitar show. We made a very fair deal, as I did my homework. Scott let me take the guitar for hours, getting it checked by other dealers, and pros at the show. It was a great experience. I have heard other stories...A careful, well informed buyer can avoid a lot of heart ache...Congrats on your purchase. Great tone in the hand, is worth 2 in the bush! A custom order, especially from Gibson, would have been a huge crap shoot. (I've been there!). I cannot heap enough praise upon this J-45. The neck carve, set up, light build, volume, and tone. Yes, it is the opposite of SHOWY, but a forever dread, for me.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Congrats!............

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM

Default Great guitar!

I have one of these also. I heard it for the first time at a GC out of town, put it back on the wall and thought about it for about 1 day, called back and put money down. It was discounted because it was on the wall for awhile, I guess they do that to move guitars. Great price.

Had one problem with the purchase though. When I called to put money down, the guy told me the price, which was about 200 less than what I remembered. He was ready to ship it to my local GC and I asked about the case. He said it was black with blue lining. Oh Oh. I asked if that was the original case and he said yes. Turns out he grabbed the wrong guitar, a standard J45 instead of the torrefied Vintage J45. He went back and found the right one with the brown/pink case and all went well after that. One great guitar, a lot like my D18, but a bit snappier, a bit lighter and smells a lot better!

Check the GCenters for discounted Vintage J45, you might get a great price.

Heres one that has the torrefied adi top:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...stic-Guitar.gc

Heres one that has adi top, but not torrefied.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...stic-Guitar.gc

Last edited by Timotao; 09-19-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added link to used J45
Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
Very sweet looking J-45 Rhythmdoctor! That’s the best burst I’ve seen on any Vintage series J-45. I saw one in Miami last week and it looked like it was pulled from a fire it was so dark.
Good to hear! Yeah, I don't like it when they're super dark either and I'm guessing they will get darker over time. Played it last night for a couple hours... the tone just keeps getting better with every strum!

My YouTube Grooves
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM

Smile

Congratulations on your first new guitar, it’s beautiful.
I hope someday my playing will be worthy of a quality instrument like that.
Drooling a little here.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:58 PM

Congrats on that new beauty!!! Welcome to the J45 family!
G7th Capos
Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 PM

I’d love to play a Vintage J-45 (new or not) to see what it gives. Congratulations. And like you and many others, I also had a positive experience buying a great guitar from CME (used D-18GE). They certainly seem to do things right.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 PM

Stellar choice! I just love the sound of a nice warm j-45. I miss mine terribly (sold for a 62 hummingbird). The top on that one is gorgeous nice straight grain. Play in good health sir.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion