The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
And that's the thing, it may be great but if you already have something adequate, why go out and buy something just because it's new?
Yep. I tend to stay with something until it gives me a reason to look for something else. Whether that reason is better sound, ease of use... I bought an S1 when the Fishman LBM I have crapped out and it took Fishman longer than they said to get it repaired and returned. I also like the idea of the battery and the form factor on the S1.

Should everyone have one? No more than everyone should have whatever equipment anyone else is using. I don't see these threads as trying to convince anyone that this is what they should buy, but rather information for what others have found works for them.

The S1 is a good bit of small sound equipment. That doesn't mean it is the only solution for each player.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

I used mine at an outside party yesterday and it was excellent!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
And that's the thing, it may be great but if you already have something adequate, why go out and buy something just because it's new?
I don’t buy the flavor of the month, but I can’t help wanting a sample when everyone is raving about it!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I used mine at an outside party yesterday and it was excellent!
I demo'd an S1 Pro again, but this time it was stand mounted. For whatever reason, it sounded a lot better to me. I also thought it had plenty of gain and projection for many typical venues where I perform.

The only thing holding me back is I own a Bose L1 Compact and it carries about the same as an S1 Pro plus tripod 'Stand'. Open to thoughts in this regard.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I demo'd an S1 Pro again, but this time it was stand mounted. For whatever reason, it sounded a lot better to me. I also thought it had plenty of gain and projection for many typical venues where I perform.

The only thing holding me back is I own a Bose L1 Compact and it carries about the same as an S1 Pro plus tripod 'Stand'. Open to thoughts in this regard.
So do you really think that the S1 Pro stand mounted has the same coverage as the L1 Compact?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
So do you really think that the S1 Pro stand mounted has the same coverage as the L1 Compact?
Well no. But its battery powered, lighter and there are venues where its all that is needed. although finding power to plug in is not usually an issue for me.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
I have an L1C and an S1 Pro; I have stated previously (not sure if it is on this thread) that the S1 is "about half of an L1C." According to Bose, about 3db different IIRC; I feel the L1C has more "spread." The L1C is nice because the bass unit is as much floor space as needed. The S1 Pro is nice because of the built-in reverb, tone match® on both channels, and especially: battery operated... set it down, turn it on, you're ready to go. I don't feel that one replaces the other. Also, they work great together!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

If you need the battery power then definitely worth it. If not, then probably not since the L1C does such a great job.

I will say that since going to the S1 and boiling down our pedal/preamp to just the Boss VE-8 (which also runs on batteries), we have played the last several gigs without external power even though power was available.

I just love getting there with the absolute minimum, setting up in 5 minutes and BOOM! start playing. I still have yet to need the QSC.

Seriously thinking of trading it off for another S1 but going to wait to see if they put out an up-rev model with some new features.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 PM

I have been thinking of selling my Mackie 450s - great speakers but normally more than I need, so I find myself always using my L1-C. I wonder if the S1 could be combined with the L1-C to give me greater throw for the few times I might need it. And at other times, just be used as a monitor?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 PM

At the risk of beating this subject to death...I have an L1C and a S1 and find I'm using the S1 more, if for no other reason than, with the backpack, I can easily carry every thing I need for a gig in one trip. I could do that with the L1C but it was a balancing act.

Like another poster, I was surprised at how much I liked the sound of the S1 on a pole mount. Not sure why.

I plan on using both units when my trio (bass, drums/percussion, acoustic guitar, three vocals) plays at a local club this Friday. Plan on setting the S1 up right behind us and the L1C a bit in front. We'll see what happens!

Not sure if this post helps anyone but you can only read the thread for so long before jumping in...

Cheers.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
At the risk of beating this subject to death...I have an L1C and a S1 and find I'm using the S1 more, if for no other reason than, with the backpack, I can easily carry every thing I need for a gig in one trip. I could do that with the L1C but it was a balancing act.

Like another poster, I was surprised at how much I liked the sound of the S1 on a pole mount. Not sure why.

I plan on using both units when my trio (bass, drums/percussion, acoustic guitar, three vocals) plays at a local club this Friday. Plan on setting the S1 up right behind us and the L1C a bit in front. We'll see what happens!

Not sure if this post helps anyone but you can only read the thread for so long before jumping in...

Cheers.
You've got me wondering if a duo wouldn't work well with 2; S1 pro's and an L1C. Small/no power just use the S1's, if the gig was bigger just line out both S1's to the L1C and you wouldn't need a mixer for the L1C. Would that work, or would you still need a mixer?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM

I would use a mixer for just about everything except a solo gig. For the trio it’s a must because I need five inputs. I guess at the speakers weren’t too far apart you could run one guitar and vocals in the left and another guitar and vocals on the right. I would just be a little concerned about the balance out front. You could also create some monitor issues. That said, if both folks in the duo were happy it would make things a lot easier.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 AM

As to the positioning of the S1,it has been my experience that getting it up on a speaker stand so it is above the height of the mic really helps. I use a wireless headset mic and with it up above that level, feedback has not been an issue.

As for coverage, in an average size bar/coffee house- I have not had to turn up more than halfway to cover the room. I know BOSE rates the S1 as 40 watts but the coverage is phenomenal for the S1. I played with a bass player and lead player last week and just ran my K&K equipped Taylor and headset mic into the S1 and had no problems. I think in an intimate smaller venue, you could put it just about anywhere and get decent sound.

I did crank it up outside on a patio bar to cover the sound of the overhead fans. I still never max’ed it out though.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 AM

L1C:
A little bit louder
Wider coverage (if you need that)
Goes lower (i think this is the biggest advantage)

S1 pro:
Smaller & lighter
Battery powered
Reverb
Much better floor monitor (I hated the L1C in this duty)
Bluetooth

For me the S1 is much more fun. As someone said before, I also use is with battery, even if power is available - I'm that lazy! There are so many plug & play things I can do with it aside from a stage. In fact I was going for a bluetooth boombox to use within my hoise/garden/rehearsal room when I found out that the S1 exists. So my 2 S1 are partly financed via the savings I had by not bying the boombox.
Also I sold the 2 Yamaha DBR10 I used as sidefill monitors. They are really nice little speakers and soundwise more potent than the S1s but the little guys are sufficient for our use.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
Maybe little unfair to compare Line 6 PA with a sub to a battery operated speaker.
True, but it plugs in too, and if I'm comparing it with just a Line 6 L2T, I'd still take the L2T... even at 40lbs.

Trust me, I'd love to have a 15lb speaker that could sound big enough to cover what I need, but I played through an S1Pro at dinner gig volumes, with the tonematch both on and off, and still didn't feel like I was getting enough punch.

It didn't sound bad, it just didn't sound great to me.

If I wasn't looping, I might feel different, but it just didn't do it for me. I like the idea though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification