The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-14-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
It shows 4/4 like most of us have posted already.
The original question was more specific than just 'what is the time signature?'
Old 08-14-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
I don't think I've seen the bass clef symbol on the treble staff before, why is that?
No idea, I never saw that before either.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I guess it is simpler than I thought, but I detect a slight pause on the 3 and 4 it just doesn't seem like straight forward eighth notes.
I just checked it out. It's one full 4/4 bar in straight 8ths.

It may be Charlie's two off-beat snare hits (on 3-and and 4-and) that are throwing you - but they are right on the 8ths between the beats.

After the intro, the tempo does wobble a little. My software measures the intro as 105 bpm, the next bar as 104, then it picks up to around 108. Charlie's snare is behind the beat too - that's the Stones' "swagger". He was a jazz drummer, not a drum machine...
Old 08-14-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I just checked it out. It's one full 4/4 bar in straight 8ths.

It may be Charlie's two off-beat snare hits (on 3-and and 4-and) that are throwing you - but they are right on the 8ths between the beats.

After the intro, the tempo does wobble a little. My software measures the intro as 105 bpm, the next bar as 104, then it picks up to around 108. Charlie's snare is behind the beat too - that's the Stones' "swagger". He was a jazz drummer, not a drum machine...
it is one of the things I love about the Stones, and not everyone can pull it off.
Brown Sugar starts around 110bpm and ends up around 125.
Epiphone Dot
Old 08-15-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:
it is one of the things I love about the Stones, and not everyone can pull it off.
Uh?? Lots of people myself included do that without trying or even realising untill reviewing a recording. Personally I consider it a drawback.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Not quite true. It starts at 125 and ends up around 130. Not too bad.
But it probably happens with most bands most of the time, at least when playing live. Live performances often start faster than a studio version and then speed up! It's a natural result of adrenalin on stage. Your brain is in a different gear, and you don't realise.
Good bands can hold it back - at least if they're aware of the issue - but it can still happen.

The most extreme example I know is actually a studio recording: Herbie Hancock's Chameleon, which starts at 94 and ends around 114. It's a gradual acceleration throughout the whole 15 minutes, and I've often wondered if it was planned that way...

Last edited by JonPR; 08-15-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:39 PM

Somebody put a timer on Cinnamon Girl.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-15-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Not quite true. It starts at 125 and ends up around 130. Not too bad.
But it probably happens with most bands most of the time, at least when playing live. Live performances often start faster than a studio version and then speed up! It's a natural result of adrenalin on stage. Your brain is in a different gear, and you don't realise.
Good bands can hold it back - at least if they're aware of the issue - but it can still happen.

The most extreme example I know is actually a studio recording: Herbie Hancock's Chameleon, which starts at 94 and ends around 114. It's a gradual acceleration throughout the whole 15 minutes, and I've often wondered if it was planned that way...
Yeah my mistake, I was thinking of Honky Tonk Women. Far more drastic than Brown Sugar.
Epiphone Dot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write