The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-11-2022, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Great guitar, congrats! Q: how are you liking or adjusting to the fan fret design?
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 08-17-2022, 04:00 PM

Default NGD: 2022 Greenfield G4

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! The guitar and I are getting along swimmingly. It's opening up slightly. I'm noticing a "softer" feel which I attribute to a bit of compression Michael has somehow accomplished. This seems to aid the really lovely balance across the tonal spectrum. Volume across strings is excellent. Blindfolded it's not easy to determine which string a particular note is being played on. It's interesting to experience.

There's also a beautiful shimmer that's started to emerge in the highs that's very satisfying. I've found that I can play as quietly as I like or as forcefully as I like and this thing happily follows me along all the same. Awesome guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Great guitar, congrats! Q: how are you liking or adjusting to the fan fret design?

I'm not new to fanned frets so nothing is shocking. I will say that this "DADGAD" scale length configuration is really subtle and would hardly be noticed in the left hand by most players. I can however hear its contribution. It feels really good to my right hand, and I can tune down to low B without floppy issues, so that's cool

For folks asking for clips, I'm not set up for anything better than an iPhone recording at the moment I'm afraid. Honestly, the guitar sounds exactly like this (Andy McKee Signature Model #1):

More photos!

Next to my Taran, for scale

These next few photos of the back are crazy shiny. Tough to get a shot without reflections but these show the back in natural light and in sunlight. Nice quartered set of Macassar, rare for a guitar this big!

This shot really highlights Michael's prowess in finishing. It's like a mirror, with very little distortion. This pic made its rounds on the Greenfield Guitar social sites recently after I sent it to him. That little figure out on the water near the top is the Statue of Liberty.

Signed photo of the man himself posing with the 1st signature G4 ever made!

Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 08-19-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Amazing pictures, thank you for sharing - what a guitar. And a Taran, too! Quite the pair.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:04 AM

Such a beautiful guitar. Congratulations to you.
I love a story with a happy ending!
Old 08-18-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Smile Happy ending, indeed

Happy ending, indeed!!!

Beautiful axe and very Fine photos too.

I especially like your description of how your feelings about music have changed due to the Fabulocity of this instrument! Is Fabulocity a word? Well, it is now!

So happy for you! Keep having a blast

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-18-2022, 12:12 PM

Congrats yet again! I saw your "mirror" pic on Michael's instagram account. Such a cool shot which, as you noted, shows his finish so well. Great shot!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop