The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-24-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
can't we have "like" buttons? i find myself searching for them especially when i read the posts of JonPR and D. Young
Thanks! Let me just say I'd put a "like" on Doug's posts too.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
I have little interest in jazz for me it’s too complicated , but I would like to play simple chord melodies , maybe it’s me but when I search for chord melodies I am almost driving down the road of jazz , 9 this and 6 that and twist your fingers around this . Can you guys give me any direction for simple songs in chord melodies without all that jazz
Cheers
Hi Bain, I agree, that jazz is a whole 'nother thing, and there are many jazz styles, but I find that most melody can be found within/around first position chords - at least, for my purpose.

This is one of the more common things that people contact me for zoom lessons/meetings.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I have little interest in jazz for me it’s too complicated , but I would like to play simple chord melodies , maybe it’s me but when I search for chord melodies I am almost driving down the road of jazz , 9 this and 6 that and twist your fingers around this . Can you guys give me any direction for simple songs in chord melodies without all that jazz
Cheers
This example is anything but easy, but it’s not jazz, it IS fingerstyle, and I wrote it back in the early 1990’s. Almost every part of the melody is 2-3 notes, with occasional single passing notes in between.

I don’t know if that’s helpful, but it fits the description.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 07-24-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I do consider "chord melody" as applying to melody over block chords as opposed to melody over arpeggiated harmony.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-24-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Thanks! Let me just say I'd put a "like" on Doug's posts too.
Yes, Doug Young is a huge resource for the folks here on the AGF!

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2022, 11:30 AM

I suggest learning to play Funk, (step brother of Jazz) for full satisfaction and self-expression, enjoying the progression of chord dynamics that rule the gamut fingerboard of guitar FX. * No wrong notes allowed in Funk.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 07-24-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
This example is anything but easy, but it’s not jazz, it IS fingerstyle, and I wrote it back in the early 1990’s. Almost every part of the melody is 2-3 notes, with occasional single passing notes in between.

I don’t know if that’s helpful, but it fits the description.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
That tune definitely fits the OP's description!
Always loved that one from your CCL CD. Sure looks easy enough but, alas, a classic case of Howard making the difficult look effortless.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-24-2022, 12:48 PM

Hi all of you guys.
Thanks to all of you who have contributed to my question on chord melody I would like to name you all here but it’s not the point I know who you are and appreciate your comments.
What I got from your comments was that not all chord melody is jazz and will look forwards to exploring it more on YT ,if I was having a party /get together I would invite you all round , thanks again.
Cheers
Old 07-24-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I have a hard time living within strict rules. If you're playing chord melody and suddenly decide to arppegiate a few notes do you get thrown out of the club? :-) it's music, do what sounds musical to express yourself. Labels are meaningless. To me, the appeal of "chord melody" is that you can play solo guitar, melody and accompaniment - a complete song. Fingerstyle players do it, classical players do it, some flatpickers do it. Some jazz players do it. it's all good, and I'd hate to say "no, no, I refuse to play anything that isn't a block chord under a melody line"!

In any case, here's a couple of non-jazz arrangements that are quite in the "block chords under a melody" style. Maybe start with these, and explore these players other approaches.

Tommy Emmanuel, song starts a 1:40. Nothing but a chord underneath virtually every melody note.

Tony Rice, song starts at 3:00. Again, almost purely chord shapes under nearly every melody note:

Old 07-24-2022, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

This to me is a song played using—mostly—a chord melody (after a 15-second intro)—is this the type of song/arrangement you are referring to?

Old 07-24-2022, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
This to me is a song played using—mostly—a chord melody (after a 15-second intro)—is this the type of song/arrangement you are referring to?
Nicely done. A good example of out and out jazz playing with a combo of jazz elements (block chord melody, arpeggiated chord melody and pure scale runs)
is that by Joe Pass, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kUJa1PueM

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-25-2022, 02:27 AM

Yes ,yes ,and yes thanks sinistral that’s just what type of chord melody music I was looking for .............
Old 07-25-2022, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nicely done. A good example of out and out jazz playing with a combo of jazz elements (block chord melody, arpeggiated chord melody and pure scale runs)
It could well have been inspired by Joe Pass, but I think it’s an original arrangement. The guitarist, JoiL, plays variations of the song on different demo videos. Definitely jazz-inspired, but without the jazz ornamentation that is Bain’s bane.

For those who have gigantic hands, Tommy Emmanuel’s Those Who Wait is a deceptively difficult masterclass in chord melodies:

I don’t think I could play some of those chords on a GS Mini!

Quote:
Yes ,yes ,and yes thanks sinistral that’s just what type of chord melody music I was looking for .............
Are you looking for songs/videos along those lines? Lessons? If you used a Vidami to slow down and loop the video, I think you could figure it out bit by bit. Jerry’s Guitar Bar has a lot of great lessons, and they are organized by level.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cheers
Ninths and sixths are a lot more common than most players think when it comes to acoustic guitar based songs. In folk music, they're used quite a lot and they can make the ordinary sound so much better.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-25-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Jazz for sure, but that first bridge is right out of the Chet playbook. Pretty darn Countrypolitan.

One thing Joe did a lot (on his amazing level) that I like to try at my non-amazing level is to play quite a bit of a tune with plain, single notes while sprinkling a few chord changes in between. If there's a note in the tune that's the same as the top note of a chord voicing, win-win! And if you keep the time going somewhat -- which Joe mostly didn't -- it won't seen jazzy.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write