The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-30-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
How long do you grow/keep them? Usually, even the ones that end up hooking will still be pretty straight when filed short.
I’ve only tried once but not very long. I’m trying again now. It’s only been about a week, maybe two.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:40 PM

After 3 years of trying to grow nails, and then having them split, I found the best solution that worked.
Nailtiques Formula 2 Pro. About $10 at Target stores. I've never had nails this strong and without the splitting. Highly recommended.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
I am a beginner at classical guitar. I’m growing my nails out and already realizing that they are thin and flimsy, but even worse, kinda hooked on the end. Pretty much everything that one wouldn’t want for playing guitar. I’ve been taking biotin and a multi-vitamin for awhile now. That is as far as I have gotten. I’ve prowled around the net, searching for tips, but wanted to pose the problem here, for ideas. I really don’t want to do completely fake nails. Outside of that, I’m open to anything, to help make my natural nails functional for guitar playing. Thnx.
OPJ77...

This is a plight all guitarist have faced. I too used to have issues with thin nails and also several have a tendency to curve down (hook) over the fleashy tips. The latter is sort of easy to correct by filing them so as to make a ramp. Here are several web sites you can go view to help...

Bradford Werner on filing and shaping nails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuq1iSFSGhU

Allen Mathews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jz1ms_AlM

Douglas Neidt: 3 videos to watch (he also shows how to use artifical nails.. look for those vids)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_lYziCcBa4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWJ22B07Zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0zDqZjAgM

Now I also have been using vitamins for my nails and they are now nice and thick and seldom split or break...

What I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bount.../dp/B07BHTJ4B9

Be prepared to constanly be filing and shaping...

Get a good diamond nail file and several different grades of grit sand paper

Good luck

Last edited by Always Learning; 01-31-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
OPJ77...

This is a plight all guitarist have faced. I too used to have issues with thin nails and also several have a tendency to curve down (hook) over the fleashy tips. The latter is sort of easy to correct by filing them so as to make a ramp. Here are several web sites you can go view to help...

Bradford Werner on filing and shaping nails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuq1iSFSGhU

Allen Mathews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jz1ms_AlM

Douglas Neidt: 3 videos to watch (he also shows how to use artifical nails.. look for those vids)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_lYziCcBa4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWJ22B07Zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0zDqZjAgM

Now I also have been using vitamins for my nails and they are now nice and thick and seldom split or break...

What I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bount.../dp/B07BHTJ4B9

Be prepared to constanly be filing and shaping...

Get a good diamond nail file and several different grades of grit sand paper

Good luck
Thank you so much for the links. I will study them and I’m sure many others will use them for reference.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCarlH View Post
After 3 years of trying to grow nails, and then having them split, I found the best solution that worked.
Nailtiques Formula 2 Pro. About $10 at Target stores. I've never had nails this strong and without the splitting. Highly recommended.
Do you have any concerns about the formaldehyde in it?
Old 01-31-2022, 08:52 AM

Ya know, OPJ77, all this fingernail stuff seems kinda over the top. I’m a beginner too, but, even if I learn whatever I’m supposed to learn, I’m never gonna be another Segovia. I’m an old, hard of hearing, geezer, and I probably wouldn’t notice the difference if my fingernails were like quarter inch steel!

Though the book I’m following has a page on how to file ones nails, it also says that beginners should wait before messing (my words) with their nails. So that’s what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna file ‘em like they’re supposed to be, and, if they break, I’m gonna cut ‘em short and charge ahead.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:17 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
Ya know, OPJ77, all this fingernail stuff seems kinda over the top. I’m a beginner too, but, even if I learn whatever I’m supposed to learn, I’m never gonna be another Segovia. I’m an old, hard of hearing, geezer, and I probably wouldn’t notice the difference if my fingernails were like quarter inch steel!

Though the book I’m following has a page on how to file ones nails, it also says that beginners should wait before messing (my words) with their nails. So that’s what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna file ‘em like they’re supposed to be, and, if they break, I’m gonna cut ‘em short and charge ahead.
Oh it’s absolutely over the top. Thing is, I’m a research nut. If something interests me, I like to gather all of the info that I can. I may end up cutting my nails back off next week, but if I do continue to grow them, I would rather know as much as possible ahead of time. It saves a lot of headache. These threads are goldmines for people who are getting started and don’t quite know what to do. I’ve been using them for years. No matter what, I’m still playing every single minute that I can hide from my kids. That’s all that matters at the end of the day.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh it’s absolutely over the top. Thing is, I’m a research nut. If something interests me, I like to gather all of the info that I can. I may end up cutting my nails back off next week, but if I do continue to grow them, I would rather know as much as possible ahead of time. It saves a lot of headache. These threads are goldmines for people who are getting started and don’t quite know what to do. I’ve been using them for years. No matter what, I’m still playing every single minute that I can hide from my kids. That’s all that matters at the end of the day.
It's fine to take this approach, i.e. researching as much as possible, especially if it's your nature to do so. Also, I agree with your concerns about the kinds of ingredients that these products may contain. That's important to take into consideration.
The only thing I would guard against at this stage is for you to over-analyse the task. It's really not that big of a deal. If you're a beginner at classical, know that the proper way to engage the string is flesh first, then nail. Maybe you know that already. That's important. That's why the nail can't be overly long, especially if you're starting out and don't have that technique as your default. You want the string to ramp onto the nail from the fleshy part of your finger and ride along smoothly as long as it can, before the release. That usually means a straight line, and not an overly long nail to ride on, which in your case is advisable anyway, since they hook when they get longer.
But even if you did all that, you'd still need to buff the nail surface in order to get that glassy look. That's where the tone will come from.
So, nails are a demanding taskmaster, but it becomes second nature after you get the routine down.
In your case, I would hold off buying nail products, other than what you are doing nutritionally. Think about improving playing technique, and when your nail is long enough, get it filed and buffed the right way. Scott Tennant covers it in his Pumping Nylon book, and lots of others too on YouTube.
Winter time (although I don't know where you're at) is the most demanding because of cold and dryness. Keep your hands well moisturized at all times.
If all of that doesn't work, and you still want to pursue classical with nails, then look into products.
Only suggestions on my part! Not professing to came across as an authority on the subject. Just passing on what I've learned and experienced over the years

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-31-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I had to search on this. Nailtiques does contain Formaldehyde Resin and I found this on the 'net. (below) It does have a strong smell out of the bottle, but a minute or two after I apply it, I can't smell in on my nails. I've used it for a couple of months with no alergic reaction.

I'm more concerned with my blood sugar and insulin resistance than this polish to be honest. I just try to keep away from the smell. Probably the same for most products. This does work wonders, though.

Carl

-------------------------------------------------

2. Formaldehyde Resin
WHAT IS IT?

Formaldehyde is a preservative used to kill bacteria, fungi and germs (it’s also used to preserve dead bodies). The type used in nail polishes is Tosylamide/Formaldehyde resin. It’s there to harden the nail polish and make it more resilient.

WHY DOES IT HAVE A BAD REP?

Huh, did you miss the part where I said it’s used to preserve corpses? It’s carcinogenic, too.

IS IT DANGEROUS FOR HUMANS?

In high does, yeah! In the tiny amounts used in cosmetics, it’s unlikely to cause problems. Unless you’re allergic to it. Plus, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde resin is less irritating than formaldehyde itself. Still, if you’re a manicurist, nail technician or someone who paints nails a lot, make sure to do it in a well-ventilated environment so you don’t breathe in its fumes.

VERDICT: Probably safe in moderation. Avoid it only if you’re allergic to it.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Now you've got me looking. I do have some Sally Hansen's HAN lying around I may try.

https://www.bustle.com/p/the-4-best-...ehyde-18551119
Old 01-31-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post

OPJ77 and others,

When I was first learning to play many many years ago, my instructor also stressed first learning technique and then graduate to growing and using nails.

So Picking Dick is right... first learn the proper hand position when playing and down the road grow your nails... The main reason players grow their nails is for projection (loudness of a plucked string)... Also there are some, Brandon Acker for one, who say play without them.

What it all boils down to is you be the judge.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:48 PM

I don't agree with waiting until later to shape your nails. Classical guitar or any other kind of fingerpicking is among other things the accumulation of incredibly precise habits. The habits you make now will be very hard to unlearn later. I would shape those nails as precisely as I can right from the beginning. I recommend 5000 grade sandpaper to help.

Nails make a huge difference in sound on the classical guitar. If you go to 5000 to 7000 grade paper and then use the worn-out groove in that paper, the sound will improve quite a bit. You also will be able to get more variety of sound by turning the nail at an angle or using the central nail, on different notes, if you shape them.

I do not think that flesh is a feasible alternative for most players. Yes, there are some people who got a good sound out of flesh, but they are few and far between and it is much harder to play that way. It yields a brushy, soft sound that lacks precision and clarity. Classical guitar is almost impossible, anyway, and I wouldn't burden myself with trying to use skin.

I have the cracking problem on one nail only, and it's a pain. I can say that it has improved quite a bit over the years. It used to always crack in the same spot. I did try using cosmetic nails -- had the nice ladies at the local nail parlor apply them (this hugely amused them). It ruins your natural nail bed -- your natural nails become thin, almost flesh-like, after removal. The sound is also not that great, although it is good. I considered having the artificial nail applied only to the tip of the nail (the cuticle). But I never tried it. That might work.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:14 AM

I just went with acrylics. Practically indestructible. Haven't had a worry since.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I watched the Bradford Werner video https://youtu.be/Zuq1iSFSGhU on shaping nails a few years ago and it solved all my problems. Shaping the nail is key to strength and tone. If your nail hits the string at a sideways angle like an I beam, it is way more stiff and strong than the string being parallel to the nail. It is also easier to be precise as the nail will not catch the string. I use a crystal OPI Nail file and then polish with 1500 or + wet/dry 3M sand paper sheets on a hardback book. It is a very specific process, but it only takes me about 10 minutes total per week. Having a smooth nail = a strong nail.
OPI Crystal Nail File https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PHKE0O...p_mob_ap_share
Old 02-06-2022, 01:41 AM

Hi all. I'm a bit late to the game, but please consider my 2 cents.

One major thing that makes nails more prone to splitting and chipping is not being properly "moisturized." I use quotes because I don't mean the nail plate should be saturated with H2O molecules, it should be saturated with wax esters (your body creates sebum, which is ideal for this).

If your body happens to not produce enough sebum, or due to life style you are stripping it out of your nails (dish washer soap will do it!), I'm only aware of jojoba oil being a reasonable substitute for sebum, as it's able to re-moisturize your nail plates. I won't get into it too deep, but molecular size matters, and to my knowledge, jojoba oil is the only stuff that actually can penetrate the nail plate (it's small like sebum).

If you're looking for creams or ointments or oils, I highly recommend you find one with jojoba oil as an ingredient (a lot of the good ones have this as an ingredient). As for me, I just use organic jojoba oil, purchasable at a lot of major stores. Since regularly applying it, my nails chip and split substantially less.

Please feel free to do your own reading and please feel free to share any contradicting information you find on this. I don't claim to be an expert, I can only regurgitate what I've read.

Also, before the pandemic, I had acrylics done every couple of weeks. That will prevent or minimize the affect of hooked nails (as the nails will stick to the acrylic), and your nails will practically be invincible. I miss them... *sigh*...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical