The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2021, 02:29 PM

Default 12 fretters have been on my mind as of late...

Hi all, first post here! I've been playing for about 2 years now, and reading this forum has significantly impacted me with the knowledge on here. So thanks for that!

A bit of context on what I primarily play: I stick with picking like John Hurt and John Fahey. Other plyers along the lines of them too. I suppose I should call it Travis picking...but slightly different? I don't know. I'm also a guy who likes bigger guitars mostly a la jumbos and dreadnoughts, but I also don't mind smaller bodies like 000 sizes. The majority of the time though my playing has been done on my main axe, a Masterbilt AJ-45 (absolutely love that thing, can't recommend one enough!). It's served me well with fingerstyle and strumming I guess it's like a leatherman.

Lately I've been considering investing in a "premium" guitar (something that isn't sub $1000) since I can confidently say I'll stick with guitar for a long time. I've played on several high dollar Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, and I think I'm leaning more towards the all mahogany sound as opposed to spruce. It's definitely not something I have in my arsenal. I'm imagining a bigger body if available, and saw that LA Guitar Sales has some custom D15-SMs listed. While I was gearing more towards that, I came across an Epiphone 12 fret masterbilt (cedar top, slotted headstock) too.

Since I've actually played on the Masterbilt and not the Martin, it's a bit of a risk in case the Martin wouldn't work out since I live way too far to try out the D-15SM. I will say I'm enjoying the idea of the dreadnought a little more than the 000 size (though I wouldn't say no to one either!). Could anyone share their experiences with either of these models? I know its apples to oranges, but considering they're pretty rare, any advice helps.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-02-2021, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I had a D15S for a long time. It was a great guitar. I have moved on to fuller profiles, or I’d still have it. Great guitar: big sound, warm and round. You won’t regret it.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:45 PM

I have a Waterloo WL-12 MH. It's a fantastic-playing and sounding all mahogany 12-fretter. I have played a couple Martin 000-15SMs, and they give up very little to my Waterloo (I also owned a Martin custom 000-15), so I would be surprised if the D-15SM didn't punch above its weight.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Any chance that you've played a D-15 in your search so far? If you have and you liked it, the D-15S won't sound significantly different. The 12 fret body will give it a bit more bass and might sound slightly warmer but it'll still have that mahogany Martin sound. Definitely would recommend trying to play a D-15 if you haven't, or at least a 000-15, and those would likely be available in a shop near you.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

I can’t say enough good things about the Martin D15S/D15SM. Many guitars have come and gone, and my D15S sticks around. How you feel about the tone is all so subjective. It’s definitely an all-mahogany sound. Not the biggest, or loudest, or thumpiest 12 fret I’ve played, by a long shot, but a terrific songwriting partner.

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Santa Cruz - Taylor - Urlacher
Old 07-03-2021, 09:52 AM

About 20 years ago I bought a Martin 000-15SM at Buckdancers Choice Music in Portland, Maine, and truth be know, I walked out of the store not knowing the difference between 12 and 14 frets....I guess the Good Lord does watch out for old fools.
I just played every Martin in my price and size range....dreads are way too big for me.....and that was "The One"....and my skill and experience was pretty limited.
The quick version is that it ended up my with daughter in Anchorage...I gave it to her for a college gradation present in 2009...and it went from NH to MT to AK.
After not playing for more than 15 years...pretty much gave up guitar for mandolin at the time...it is now my go-to while in AK, and I am SO glad she kept it all these years.I have a Martin 000-18 at home, along with two others from Roberts Stringworks, so I have something for comparison.
I wanted to trade my 000-18 with her, but that didn't work out and I am glad it didn't so the SM is now always available up there. I continued to be happily surprised with its ease of playability, tone and volume.
I have not played any others of newer vintage, but it still remains a favorite.
It is also nice to have a 12 fret in your quiver...I am pretty much a flat picker and strummer.
This may not exactly answer your question, but I just wanted to share....
Old 07-03-2021, 10:04 AM

Default Eastman - 12 Fret E20 oo SB

I just pulled the trigger on this - I've been wanting a 12 fret for years. Can't wait to get her.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:57 PM

I ordered a custom 000 12 fret Martin 6 years ago this month.

Slotted headstock, short scale, scalloped bracing and 3 piece mahogany back. Truly one of a kind.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:06 AM

My recollection is that when I started playing the only 12 fret guitars you could find, with the exception of something like a Martin D12-20 or possibly a rare as hen's teeth used 1950s D28S, were generally pre-War instruments or something you bought on the cheap such as a Harmony Stella. So it is nice to see 12 fretters roaring back in popularity. I do still keep both a 1930s Harmony-made Supertone and Schmidt-made Stella around. I also have a 12 fret 1932 Gibson L1.

In terms of newish/new guitars the only 12 fretter I own is a Fairbanks F30 Roy Smeck. Based on a 1935 Gibson, it is a jumbo with a non-tapered body so the upper bout is near as deep as it is at the butt. Dale is one of the best there is at capturing Old School Gibson Tone. His take on the Smeck has non-scalloped X bracing and tone bars and incredibly delicate back braces - tall and thin and tapering to a knife edge-like 1/16". The guitar has a huge wide open voice not decaying as quick as the smaller L body guitar and is richer in overtones/harmonics. Lots of power. The only thing the guitar lacks is the parched dryness and hair trigger response of the almost 90 year old L1.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-04-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I just want to say welcome to the AGF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, dreadnought, epiphone, martin