The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2022, 07:02 AM

Default Bose S1 as monitor, best input to use?

I am using an Elite Acoustics D6-58 as my primary amp/PA for smaller gigs. I want to use my Bose S1 Pro as a monitor. Reviewing the Bose S1 user manual, it would seem the "best" input port to connect to would be the Aux input since it is balanced. From the manual "Aux input: Use a 3.5 mm TRS cable to connect a line-level audio source."

Not having a 3.5 mm TRS cable, but having a 1/4" TRS to TRS cable, would it also be a safe assumption I could use channel inputs 1 or 2 with a TRS/TRS cable, since this note in the manual implies that? "Line Output: Use a ¼" TRS cable to connect the line-level output to the Channel 1 or 2 input of a second S1 Pro to create a mono, two-loudspeaker setup"? Would that still be a balanced connection?
Old 08-14-2022, 07:16 AM

Yes, you can use a regular (TS) guitar cable. If you listen closely, you’ll hear a little bit of hum in the background with the TS cable, but it is negligible. I would use the guitar cable for now, but invest in a TRS cable when you get a chance.

Monoprice.com has excellent prices on quality cables. That’s where I get all of mine.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:36 AM

Thanks. I have the 1/4 TRS to 1/4 TRS, just not the 1/8. So if I use my 1/4 TRS as input to the Bose channel 1 or 2, will that be balanced?
Old 08-14-2022, 07:59 AM

Default Bose S1 as monitor, best input to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnco999 View Post
Thanks. I have the 1/4 TRS to 1/4 TRS, just not the 1/8. So if I use my 1/4 TRS as input to the Bose channel 1 or 2, will that be balanced?

Yes, the 1/4” aux outs on the D6-58 are balanced, as are the combo inputs on the S1 (in both XLR and 1/4” modes).

Either a TRS or TS 1/4” cable will work, but a TRS is better.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

I have a 1/4 to 1/8 TRS cable that I'd use for this. Here's an example of what I've used but mine is by Pigtronics (so unnecessarily more expensive!)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-cable-10-foot
Old 08-14-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I am using an Elite Acoustics D6-58 as my primary amp/PA for smaller gigs. I want to use my Bose S1 Pro as a monitor.
I would reverse them though: point the D6-58 at yourself and the S1 Pro up on a pole for the audience. That puts the D6-58 controls in easy reach and the wider 120 degree dispersion where it is more useful.

Either way though.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
What Kingston is saying , I believe, is get a 1/4” TRS to 1/8” TRS adapter and you are golden. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...h-mini-adapter
Old 08-15-2022, 09:14 PM

To the best of my knowledge the ⅛" jack on ch3 isn't balanced, it's stereo unbalanced. In normal circumstances if you feed a mono balanced signal into a stereo channel, then sum the signals (which is what the s1 pro does in normal mode) you will get silence. There may be some fancy-pants electronic jiggery-pokery in the Bose that prevents this but I've not heard it mentioned anywhere.

If the above is correct then the aux in would work best with a headphone output from whatever you're connecting it to.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:58 AM

As to original question - best input for a line level balanced signal is TRS ¼" jack on ch1 or 2. I use an XLRf-TRS¼" adaptor on the end of a mic lead for flexibility (sometimes I need it short, others long). The TRS plug is angled (90⁰) to avoid stress on the socket.

There haven't been any situations where I've found the "flat" setting to be better than the "guitar" EQ preset.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification