The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-11-2022, 11:03 AM

Default butterfly finger picks, anyone use them?

Hi,

I found out about the butterfly finger picks a few months ago, then hesitated with ordering some because of international shipping costs and ITD ... and now just made my own thumbpick version following the instructions Kevin posted after he stopped production.

The reason I wanted to try them is because I fingerpick with flesh, and my thumb has been developping what feels (and sounds...) like a hard ridge when playing, right where I pluck. This started happening after I got my archtop on which I use Plectrum AC112s, which have a 59 gauge low E. The butterfly thumbpick was at least supposed to help my skin recover after filing down the callous.

I don't doubt that some period of adaptation will be necessary esp. with "rest strokes" plucking 2 strings and ... strumming.

Does anyone here have experience with these picks, on what gauge strings and (how) do you manage fast arpeggios and strums? I regret not having ordered 1 or two production examples to have a reference, for instance on how well they can stay in place.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-11-2022, 01:55 PM

I tried them for a while, problem is they won't be available soon and they are not robust so if you get on with them you won't be able to find replacements when you need to.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:07 PM

"Not available soon"? They're not available anymore at all, unless you decide to make them yourself - or unless you're aware of someone who is planning to take over production?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 08-11-2022, 02:09 PM

Just realised that Amazon is full of Chinese copies, maybe that's why the original designer is giving up on them.
As far as I remember they shared the same problem as all metal picks, a scraping sound on the wound strings.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:22 PM

I think the cheap knock-offs were indeed a part of the reason, but it was mostly a question of time and ROI. Plus international shipping costs that have increased and the import tax and duties customers in the EU can no longer avoid.

I have 2 issues I'm struggling with
- not remaining in place. Partly that seems because I must flex my thumb however minutely which pushes the pick off. But it also rotates.
- all forms of strumming, plus using the side of my thumb to mute strings

The latter is a bit interesting because as far as I understand these picks are also used by classical(ish) guitarists (they do sound good on nylon strings!)....

Old 08-12-2022, 07:04 AM

I've tried most picks available in Europe and as far as metal picks go the brass Alaskas are the only ones I would stick with, but even these grate on the wound strings so if I wanted to use them most of the time then a plain third would be the simplest solution, I think they sound fine on strings 1&2 of a normal set.
Depends if you can accommodate arrangements where the melody just sticks to three strings but that wouldn't work for me.
This is what the brass Alaskas sound like.
This arrangement in C keeps the tune on strings 123, think I'll get a plain third to see if there's any improvement, but some things I play in G shapes the tune has to come onto the wound 4th string.

Last edited by Andyrondack; 08-12-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:27 AM

I have a set of very similar picks, which I think are still available (and cheap):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tone-Deaf-M...dp/B000NGVQKO/

I don't actually use them very much, because I prefer my nails. But when a nail breaks or chips, so I need to cut it right back, then I pull one of these out.

I found them surprisingly good. Firstly, the end of ring sits right up where your fingernail would normally be (the guy wearing them in the photo has them a little loose). Second, the hole lets you still feel the string as you pick it. Both these factors make it feel as natural (almost!) as using fingernails.

Thirdly, the tone was surprisingly mellow. Not harsh or scrapey at all. They sounded positive and strong, much like plastic picks - but much more comfortable.

And of course (fourthly), being metal means you can bend them to fit your finger exactly. That was always my problem with all varieties of plastic pick - they were either uncomfortably tight, or too loose to be efficient.

Of course, they are still not quite as comfortable as using no picks at all! Otherwise - because their volume and tone is actually better than fingernails - I might be using these picks all the time!

That's for fingerstyle on steel-string, mind. I don't think I'd want to strum with them, but then I wouldn't be doing that with any kind of fingerpick or thumbpick. I do sometimes use a metal thumbpick (the side projecting kind, not this nail replacement kind), and it's a very crude strumming sound. If I needed to strum when I'm wearing that, I use my fingernails, but it would only be an occasional chord in the middle of a fingerstyle tune. Strumming for me means flatpick only. I try to limit my fingernail strumming because of the wear it produces - which can lead to needing to cut the nail back, which in turn leads to me needing my "tone deaf" picks!

Last edited by JonPR; 08-12-2022 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:02 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I just ordered some copies on Amazon. I've been using Kalena finger picks. They are similar to Alaska Piks, but don't have the side ribbings.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write