The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 08:53 PM

Sounds like you want a D-18 — as do I!

If the convenience of not having to sell the Taylor outweighs being able to pick out a new D-18 that comes with Martin’s warranty, then I say go for it.

That said, if someone here or on Reverb seriously wants the Taylor, you might consider making the sale, getting a new D-18 of your choosing, and keeping the change.

Either way, I think you should end up with a D-18 if that’s what you want!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Trade

Take the 814, hands down.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
I have a trade set up for Saturday that I think is pretty even value wise, two very different guitars. What do you think of the trade

A
2013 Taylor 814CE-LTD Fall limited (short scale)
for a
2017 Martin D-18E with a Fishman F1 Aura system

Deliberate about not saying who gets what. Value and future value what do you think?
I'd be happy with either one.

I'd be even happier owning both....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 PM

For that Taylor, I wouldn't settle for a stock D18. They're not *far* apart in value, (and maybe you did say D18E or some other variant, I didn't scroll back to the first post to double check), but they're far enough apart that for the USED value of that Taylor.. you could get a *brand new* stock D18 from a forum sponsor..

anyway, I totally relate to where you're coming from re: the trade; sometimes it's the only way. or seems to be. But I would advise being patient: I think you could find the right person and get a real nice used Martin Custom shop if that's what you really want. Of course, go with your gut above all else -- but I just think, off the top of my head, that a 814 LTD is worth more than a stock D18. But I think you'd be happy with one.. see if you can find a trade + cash your way maybe, or aforementioned custom..

my .02

Good luck!!!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Just curious, why the D-18? What do you like about it? I ask because I long for a good rosewood guitar and the 814's that I have played were awesome. But I never played a D-18 - maybe I should consider?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I haven't played either of them...….
Then why did you comment?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-W View Post
Just curious, why the D-18? What do you like about it? I ask because I long for a good rosewood guitar and the 814's that I have played were awesome. But I never played a D-18 - maybe I should consider?
D-18s are hog...

Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
For that Taylor, I wouldn't settle for a stock D18. They're not *far* apart in value, (and maybe you did say D18E or some other variant, I didn't scroll back to the first post to double check), but they're far enough apart that for the USED value of that Taylor.. you could get a *brand new* stock D18 from a forum sponsor..

anyway, I totally relate to where you're coming from re: the trade; sometimes it's the only way. or seems to be. But I would advise being patient: I think you could find the right person and get a real nice used Martin Custom shop if that's what you really want. Of course, go with your gut above all else -- but I just think, off the top of my head, that a 814 LTD is worth more than a stock D18. But I think you'd be happy with one.. see if you can find a trade + cash your way maybe, or aforementioned custom..
my .02
Good luck!!!
It’s a D18e. I agree a standard D18 would have to see money my way. I have been told the E is quite a guitar. Has to be for the trade to work for me as I do really love the tone and playability of the Taylor.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

is yours a 12 fret?
I may be mixing years, but I'm thinking this was a GA size taylor made and maybe they made 75-things may be blurring, its been a couple years.
the one I'm thinking of was an 814ce 12fret with Victorian inlay on the fretboard.
d
Old 07-19-2018, 04:53 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Yes it’s a twelve fret, fancy inlay. It is pretty.
Ok confession time. I have gotten hooked on Japan Epiphone’s. My favorite to play is a 100.00 FT130 which is a 14 fret standard scale. I went from playing fingerstyle to something more like Rory Block ( she plays hard). I think the Martin is better suited for the style I play these days. We will find out!
Mean while, you folks that said you want the Taylor.....drop me a pm.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 AM

Sometimes if something isn't selling I'll take a trade and put that up for sale once I get it. I've briefly owned some very nice gear that I never would have bought otherwise and if I really bond I'll keep it. Since we're rarely talking about life altering money I tend to make more emotional than rational gear decisions. If you've never owned a D18 and always wanted to, go for it. Maybe try to get a little cash thrown your way.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 07-19-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Then why did you comment?
Good question. My reply was based on which guitar is the better guitar....to PLAY, not sell.

The OP was asking about two guitars no one who has replied has ever played. The question assumes all guitars of these models sound the same and people who have no knowledge of these particular guitars are going to have great insight into which one is best.

One of them could be a very poor example of Taylors work, or it could be something else. Only the OP knows, if he's played them The rest of us can only comment on some guitar we've played. I've played both brands and some of them I wouldn't want if they were free. How would my comment on that be relevant to those two guitars?

I was stating the obvious. It gets missed quite often in these types of questions. As useless as the replies are, the questions keep coming.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM

From a monetary standpoint, buying new, I believe the 814 is more expensive, especially with Short-scale. But as far a resale value, it seems that Martin's bring a bit more money. Two completely different but very fine guitars indeed. It's your preference.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 AM

Price-wise they are a couple hundred off new. Taylor is around $3400 and the Martin is $2900.

They are two different animals entirely. I dunno what to tell you.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 AM

I would take the Martin if it was me. However now that we are talking about you, These are two really different guitars. I would not make the trade until I played the D-18. Rosewood vs Mahogany. Bright vs Boomy. Both Clear and crisp and both with good sustain. Close you eyes when you play each side by side and allow your ears to aid you in your decision. Maybe I am wrong but you are not totally happy with the Taylor or otherwise you would not consider the trade. If it just comes down that you want a Martin then either keep the Taylor and save up for a Martin or sale the Taylor and get the Martin that you want. This really could be one of those wish I never got rid of the Taylor and want another one again in the near future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion