The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-27-2018, 04:54 AM

Default Savoy... Mainstream Love

Joe sent me this link...cool!

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...d-savoy-review
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 AM

That clip sounds like a cross between a sitar and a Martin Backpacker.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 AM

More reasons to love Ekoa.
It has a bit of history regarding it's durability and usefulness.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/07/13/s...ver-found.html

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...n-archaeology/

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...rs-discovered/

https://www.ancient-origins.net/hist...fabrics-009726

The fibers will outlive the resin . . .

Last edited by ac; 06-27-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
That clip sounds like a cross between a sitar and a Martin Backpacker.
I couldn't get any sound out of that clip.

I did play Kramster's Savoy earlier this year - impressive sound for a small guitar. If the clip made it sound like a Martin Backpacker, it didn't do the Savoy justice.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=Captain Jim;5768714]
I did play Kramster's Savoy earlier this year [QUOTE]

That was you?? Ha... congrats on 4000 and soon 4000 + posts!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-27-2018, 02:55 PM
Guest 928

AC;

Thanks for the research on linen. I guess we could say that Joe has an old, but innovative soul.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
AC;

Thanks for the research on linen. I guess we could say that Joe has an old, but innovative soul.
One of the innovative elements of the Savoy is the double top. I think I read that the top was made like some very high-end classicals. Sort of a honeycombed layer sandwiched between layers of flax for a very light, responsive top. I haven’t seen much discussion of that.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:40 PM
Guest 928

Not much discussion, and I'm waiting for Joe to get to a classical hybrid guitar; nylon strings, 1 7/8" nut width. If you can put nylon strings on a steel string Savoy, and have it sound good, then that instrument designed as a nylon should be killer.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Not much discussion, and I'm waiting for Joe to get to a classical hybrid guitar; nylon strings, 1 7/8" nut width. If you can put nylon strings on a steel string Savoy, and have it sound good, then that instrument designed as a nylon should be killer.
A made-for-nylon eKoa Blackbird would be interesting, but tonally, I am not sure the Savoy needs it, and if it were done, I am not sure I would want it. I like the sound and volume as is!

I found this part of the Premier Guitar review particulalry interesting from a "nylon" perspecitive...

Acoustic players that savor low-mid sweetness above all things may have a few quibbles. In standard tuning the 3rd and 4th strings, in particular, have a very mid-forward focus. And the midrange itself can have a nasal quality. The guitar’s character really changes when you give the strings a little more slack, however. Bass response and sustain, which are very apparent in standard tuning, are especially impressive in drop tunings. The midrange emphasis falls away substantially in these tunings, revealing more vividly the little Blackbird’s very impressive low-mid and bottom-end resonance.

The "quibbles" mentioned are ones I had with the Savoy outfitted with steel strings. The reviewer notes those issues dissapeared when the strings had a "little more slack." I think that is similar to what happened when I put nylon stings on the Savoy.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:39 AM

I shouldn't be surprised there's guitars made with a linen composite.
I know a little about bicycles and carbon fiber is THE material when you want a light and stiff bike frame. There's a company or two that has used linen instead of, or mixed with, carbon. Apparently, the result is a little softer than carbon fiber only.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber