The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Default Value of 1970 Garcia 1A Classical?

A local pawn shop has a 1970 Garcia 1A Classical guitar for sale for $500. Does anyone know anything about these guitars? Is it worth checking out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's the listing. Note the link in their ad goes to a web page that says this guitar originally sold for $6000!

http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/4409040876.html

TK
Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I really don't think a Garcia ever sold for $6,000. If it did, someone got ripped off. All that said, they aren't bad guitars, just not what they were advertised to be. They were produced on contract in Japan by Sherry-Brenner Ltd., out of Chicago. They are similar to the Hernandez series that he had built, and the "Barbero" guitars. It might be worth $500, but most likely not. I bought my used Garcia, I can't remember the number, but not a 1A, for $50, and sold it for $100, back in the mid '80's. I also had a "Barbero" (in quotes because it was not really a Barbero!) and it was a nice, production guitar, big and boomy, and dark, but not worth what I paid for it at the time. Wish I had known then what I know now!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
They were produced on contract in Japan by Sherry-Brenner Ltd., out of Chicago.
I love the way the CL seller lists all the other exotic sources for the various woods and parts, but leaves out the fact that "Final assembly of all parts and finishing" was done in "Japan"...and how that one word is oddly rather blurred (by glare?) in the photo of the label (though still discernible).

Dirk
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Another run of the mill Japanese made guitar foisted on the public as having been made in Madrid. This legendary scam was perpetrated by the infamous Sherry Brener organization in Chicago (note one "n" ). They were busted by the Feds for misrepresentation of origin.

A mint condition Garcia ( and there was no Garcia) is a $300 at best. He had a few more Noms de plume in his arsenal, such as Marselino Barbera Hernandez etc.

Don't be suckered. The one you reference was around $450 new. Note the cheapest tuners money could buy.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info I knew AGFers would have the answer!

TK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical