The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 12:32 AM

Default If you were buying your first guitar today, what would you get?

It’s self-explanatory. What acoustic guitar would be your first if you had a $500 budget?

How about $1000?

$1500?

$2000?

Just curious.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-26-2021, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

IF I had any sense, and as a beginner, knew my limitations and what a comfortable neck and fretboard should feel like for me ,

I'd seek out either a Blueridge BR341, or (better) an Eastman E10-P

Both are Martin size - "0" (it is so sad to see beginners struggling with jumbos and dreadnoughts, and it is heart breaking to see people with little fingers struggling with thin shallow necks.

(BTW back sometime in the '60s I made both these errors)
Old 11-26-2021, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

First guitar, under $500. Purchased in the UK (so allow us to add tax). I'd want one that would set-up well and easily (good geometry) and not need looking after in our climate, and had a nice sound. And from a reputable guitar company and shop that both had good after sales service. Bottom end of budget probably a Yamaha FG800 series, top end of budget an Art & Lutherie Americana (or Seagull Entourage). All are under £500 inc UK taxes.

In many respects one guitar will sound like any other in the hands of a beginner. Good playability and build stability are far, far more important. Just picking a guitar up and holding it is awkward enough when you start out, so you need something that will take some knocks. And you want something that can live out on a stand at home and be picked up and played in lots of 10 minute sessions.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:55 AM

For the 500 - 1000 range I would definitely pick an Eastman. 1000 + a Martin. 2000 + range it would be a Gibson. Of course, any small shop guitar I could find used in the 1500 - 2500 range would be something I'd look at for sure.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Probably a newly minted Yamaha Red Label FS/FG 3 or 5 without a pickup...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-26-2021, 05:08 AM

I wouldn't change a thing. Every guitar has its own music in it. Just think of the songs and techniques you'd miss out on. Every time I've bought a new guitar it's inspired me to play something new and interesting. I wouldn't give that up for the world. Long may it last.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Probably one of the Taylor Academy models. They sound as good or better than most of their higher line, and play as good or better too, plus the QC is dang near perfect. Good bang for the buck.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Yamaha FS800 or any of the Alvarez artist series
Old 11-26-2021, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

A used D-18...

-Mike
Old 11-26-2021, 06:23 AM

At those price points probably an Eastman or Larrivee. Best value guitars around.

If either has an ADI top (Eastman has some) even better.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

I would go higher and get a McPherson carbon fiber instrument, either a Sable or Touring. Then, my focus would be solely on playing with the occasional change of strings, but no concerns about guitar care otherwise such as humidity concerns in winter, etc. That would really be a lifetime instrument.

Such guitars were not available when I started playing, so the fact that the OP said "If you were buying your first guitar today...", makes the McPherson a valid choice even if it is at a higher cost than the parameters he provided.

I have a friend who decided to learn to play piano. He went all out and for his first (and still only) piano, purchased a Yamaha 6' grand. He skipped all the buying/selling GASsing and trading up and just focused on playing once the purchase was done. He still plays that same piano today.

That is the mindset of my response regarding getting the McPherson right at the beginning.

Tony
Old 11-26-2021, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Just a couple weeks ago I bought an Eastman E1D from a local music store for a little over $500. If I were buying my first guitar today instead of 15 years ago I would HOPE to have found my way to that Eastman. There was nothing available locally (to try in person) back then even remotely in that quality range unless you wanted to spend $1,500 on a Taylor, which is what I did circa 2007.

The one I just bought was hanging on the wall with as good a setup as any guitar I've ever played, I kid you not. Even the nut slots are cut just about as low as possible without creating buzzing, the action is if anything very slightly lower than my ideal and the frets are level allowing low action, minimal neck relief and no buzzing.

I'd say, going from memory, the Taylor 414 I bought a year or so after first taking up guitar had a much nicer finish and fancier appointments. But it did not play any better or sound any better than the E1D and the neck, while having my preferred 1-3/4" nut width, was too skinny for my hands and playing style. The Eastman's chunky neck suits me better.

If I up the budget to $1,000 I think I still get the E1D and just spend the other $400+ on something else. Up it to $1,500 and maybe (just maybe) I'd consider one of the fancier Eastmans with the torrified tops or the E10SS slope shoulder. But for my preferences, if you're shopping new rather than used, Eastman seems to rule the range from about $1,400 on down.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-26-2021, 06:51 AM

I'd get a Yamaha FS800 series instrument in the under $500 range.

I'm not usually impressed with the improvement in the $1,000 range, so I'd skip that. I'd go to the D-18, 000-18, 000-21 range and buy a used guitar in the condition my wallet would allow.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-26-2021, 07:54 AM

If I had to start over within this range, I would seek out a Seagull S-6 in the $500 range, a Baxendale 000 in the $1,000 range and a J-45 in the $2,000 range. Personally, I would skip the $500 range and go straight to the $1,000 and $2,000 ranges.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

If I were buying for the first time, I would save until I could afford a Larrivee. Used models can be found for $1300 CAD/$1000 USD, sometimes less. Jean makes wonderful guitars and I've never played a bad one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion