The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 09:35 PM

I have the same problem and the cracks really hurt. It's eczema. This may sound overly simplistic but it works. Use adhesive bandages/bandaids with fairly thick pads that will hold moisture such as Band-aid Tru-Stay Sheer Strips. Keep the bandages wet for 2 - 3 days by dipping your hands in water and then drying them, but, don't dry the bandage. Some of them have pads that go right to the edge of the bandaid that makes it easier to keep them wet. If the bandaid seals all around the pad you can cut the sticky edges off or lift one edge when you wet your hands so the moisture can get to the pad. After 2-3 days take the bandaid off and the cut area will look like a shrivelled albino prune. The white shrivelled skin will quickly disappear and you will be healed. No creams required.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Man View Post
I had the same problem for years, tried everything, to no avail. A few years ago I tried this stuff, https://okeeffescompany.com/products/working-hands and let me tell you, I can finally enjoy playing guitar all winter again. Hopefully it works for you as well. The main thing is to remember to put it on at least once a day.
I'll add to the vote for Okeeffes, it definitely works !
Old 11-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile Many ways to skin the cat…

It is possible to get a low grade infection in skin cracks. The triple antibiotic will help, and so will the Bag Balm. It has some antibiotic in it too.

When I lived in Alaska all the commercial fishermen (and women) swore by it.

Coconut oil soaks in super fast and leaves very little residue.

What would my granddad have used? Probably the Bag Balm…

Just don’t grab your axe till you have mopped up the sticky goo! Hahaha

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-26-2021, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

O'keefe's for me.

Rob
Old 11-26-2021, 06:46 AM

And always keep in mind, it could be something else, like a nickel allergy. I went through something like this also, trying chapstick, Bag Balm, Rock tips, CA Glue, etc. and finally realized it was a allergic reaction to the nickel in the frets of my guitar.

Here’s the thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ghlight=Nickel

It certainly was a surprise o me because I had been playing for about seven years before this became an issue.

Best,

Rick
Old 11-26-2021, 06:59 AM

I did my time with working some Winters outside. The finger cracks appeared every Winter. I tried Bag Balm by applying to the hands and then wearing disposable gloves all night. This worked great but had to be redone every couple of days. Avoiding washing hands except for rinsing in warm water helps.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've tried all the preventatives and none have helped me. By the way, my wife and I have noticed that it only happens when your nails are cut short so with me it is left-hand only. Once you get it, use liquid bandage such as New Skin. Wick it down into the crack. Because there is alcohol in it it burns like crap for four or five seconds. Let it dry. When it does, the cracks are closed and don't hurt. Funny. In the Winter I carry a bottle in my briefcase/backpack to work with me.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-26-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I guess Dr. Dread's cracked skin is the result of "heating season"...?

We started running the heater in the last few weeks. In the last few days
my winter time dry cracked knuckles have begun to appear... the humidifiers
came out yesterday. No dry cracked skin around here last year (first year
for humidifiers)...

-Mike
Old 11-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

If you can tolerate it try applying whatever moisturizer you choose before bed and then put on a pair of thin rubber (surgical) gloves. It takes some getting used but I have had good results doing this and I am going through a psoriasis breakout on my hands currently.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-26-2021, 08:04 AM

Northerners know this condition, especially if you work with your hands.

There are two aspects to the issue. Dealing with the cracks in everyday life, and healing and preventing them from cracking again.

I used to tape up the cracks with thin strips of electrical tape. It supports the skin on each side of the crack and allows it to heal more quickly. These days I use crazy glue, just a bit to cover and strengthen the area around the crack. Lasts for about a day or so.

Vaseline helps to prevent cracks, Working Hands Creme is better for healing.

I find that repeated hand washing with soap or dish detergent causes dryness as well. Around home a simple rinse with water will get the job done in most cases.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:07 AM

When I was younger and outside in the cold I had the cracking problem- as I've aged I don't hang outside in the cold like I did- a few years ago, I was the crew chief on a winged sprint car and constantly had my hands in something so I was always washing my hands - when younger I was a mechanic, meaning my hands were often as not soaked in oil and grease and I was constantly washing my hands, in something, be it hand cleaner, chemical cleaner (if handy) or soap and water- I tried to use lanolin based hand cleaner, not use soap and water until my evening shower, and it lessened the cracking- since I no longer do that, my hands no longer crack-
Old 11-26-2021, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

+1 for O'Keeffe's Working Hands.
I find fingerpicks uncomfortable and awkward but I do like the tone and volume. Having dry cracked skin on my RH index finger has made me use them more which isn't entirely bad I guess.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Man View Post
I had the same problem for years, tried everything, to no avail. A few years ago I tried this stuff, https://okeeffescompany.com/products/working-hands and let me tell you, I can finally enjoy playing guitar all winter again. Hopefully it works for you as well. The main thing is to remember to put it on at least once a day.

I whole heartedly agree!
This is great stuff and economical price wise.
Try it, you’ll like it!
Old 11-26-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Get a humidifier for your bedroom so at least at night you can re humidify yourself while you sleep. Also put Shea butter on your hands before night night. That way in the morning you’ll be nice and ready to play.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Cera-Vie every night, add O'keefes over that if bad.
A vasoline type cream like Aqua-Phor also works well over the Cera-Vie.
Either one is a good "sealer" over the Cera-Vie.
Note that the nightly massage to work this stuff in is also good for the finger and wrist joints.
Note that Cera-Vie and Aqua-Phor were both recommended by my dermatologist.

Next day if the cracks are still bad a little super glue. Works good if you have cuts on fingertips also.

Lee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion